rock that make fume under lighter id

botrafis

Greenie
Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
can you help me identify this rock , if you burn the tip of it with lighter, white smoke get out of it ,what is it?

20200814_204523_resized.jpg
20200814_204500_resized.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would help sooo much if people provided details of where they found rocks that they want identified, together with more detailed observations. It might be lignite, which is an extremely low grade of coal and usually brown or brownish.

Does it actually burn in the sense that it smoulders for at least a short time after you remove the flame... or is it just decomposing under the action of heat? Do you see any sign of melting before it begins to smoke? Is there any ash left behind? if so, what colour? Also, what kind of odour is being given off? Does the smell remind you of anything?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

botrafis

Greenie
Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for help,
I didnt provide where I found it because I couldn't remember , it could be at a beach but Im not sure.
It doesn't decompose under heat ,yes it shoulder for a short time after removing the flame, couldn't see the smoke before removing the flame.
No signs of melting before it begins to smoke and no ash is left behind
The odor is earthy like strong paper smell.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you describe would be consistent with lignite. I don't know what else it could be... especially since you aren't getting a petroleum/hydrocarbon type odour.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread