There is metal in this rock. Copper?

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found an 18.8 lb rock today with my XP Deus metal detector in the bottom of a Pima county Arizona wash. I don't believe it is a hot rock because the detector shows no iron. The XP Deus sounds-off easily on it at 32 and occasionally a small signal of 90 or so. A Garrett Pro-Pointer sounds-off on the green crack in the enlarged photo attached. The rock appears to be quartz like, perhaps chert like. Since there are some green streaks perhaps there is some native copper in it? Should I bust this rock open with a sledge hammer and see what is inside? Any comments will be appreciated. Ed. P1180928.JPG P1180930.JPG P1180932.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...looks like copper to me...nice find!
Jim

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the green comes from copper mineralization. Could be a host of minerals in it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback. I'm tempted to break it open and see what it looks like inside. It would be neat to see native copper or anything metallic in it.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
T'were me, I'd take a sledge to it..just to see what's inside. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd cut it in slabs instead of breaking it open with a sledgehammer but if you do try and break the rock along those cracks with secondary copper minerals and you might end up with some pretty specimens, might even show some native copper. Cool find, post what she looks like inside when you get it open :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Photos of the inside.

I cracked a few pieces off of the rock. Photos of the inside are attached. The green areas go through the rock. I may break it up further. P1180990.JPG P1180993.JPG P1180994.JPG

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a series of malachite crusts in the rock. The DARK brownish material MAY BE native copper, which the malachite came from. I would do nothing else to the rock. Looks really nice. Use a powerful hand lens to look for the copper. It will be small.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread