Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2019
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

Iā€™ve been flint knapping online ordered flint and beer bottles here in the Houston area and Iā€™ve been wanting to make a trip out to Georgetown where there is supposed to be good quality flint. This would be my first time sourcing my own flint and Iā€™m not sure what areas Iā€™m supposed to be looking in once I get to Georgetown. Iā€™d appreciate any advice or tips from someone who has experience in collecting flint in the Georgetown area or any other area.

Thanks,Rye

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You used to be able to get into the Texas Crushed Stone Quarry at Georgetown but that was years ago. They have the good stuff in big piles. I also hunted Ft. Hood with 2 locals back in the day but I doubt you could get in there now. Not sure. Just about every set of railroad tracks in Texas has flint for ballast. Some is high quality. You have to search around on different tracks. The Trinity River has nice rock. Never been there but I've worked the stuff found by others. I'd say get permissions and hunt the creeks and rivers in the Hill Country. Gary

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread