Aluminum can...heavier when crushed?

wicowboy 111

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2011
WI.
yes he would put A little water in the radiators and let it freeze then take to the junk yard. I don't understand why they didn't catch on to him but they never did ? That water must of cost them more than bottled water

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
are morons brain denser when crushed ? --- unless one is doing some sort of illegal "added" weighting of the cans -- like adding a bit of sand , dirt or water in freezing cold temps , the weight of a empty can will not change due to being crushed.-- only its size to weight ratio will change --it will be denser .

a non doctored squashed can will weight exactly the same as a empty non squashed one * -- however it will be much smaller in size (thus denser ---in other words due to their smaller size-- more squashed cans will fit in a 30 gallon garbage bag than non squashed ones -- the squashed cans do not weight more -theres just more of them per bag* --so the "bag" of say 100 squashed cans will of course weight more than the bag of 50 non squashed ones will because of the greater number of cans overall in the bag.)

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
stop and think -- unless you lose parts or liquids --would you weigh more or less or exactly the same if YOU were smashed flat ? -- answer the same --why should a can be any differant?--- it is the same weight , its just taking up less space is all (thus its denser * SAME WEIGHT IN A SMALLER SPACE)- thus more smashed cans will fit in the same sized garbage bag (being their smaller in size) than not smashed ones -- thus "match up" a bag of non smashed cans vs a bag of smashed cans - the bag of smashed ones will be heavier in weight -- not because the smashed cans are any "heavier" --it just happens to be that more "smashed cans" will fit the same sized bag overall --duh.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok let me put this in simpler terms.
Which weighs more?
This Cadallic
1982eldorado0423.jpg

or this crushed Cadallic?
2539666309_67c4355fd9.jpg

This Toyota mini-van
37686.jpg

or this crushed Toyota mini-van
2540482760_5ed1bee086.jpg

2539663961_8686f3b448.jpg

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I've ever knew any place that collected that many pounds of aluminum cans.. ;D BUT, it could have been a way to make a large collection pile of those cans certainly weigh more.....

Several years ago, when the local school district let each elementary, jr. high, and high school campus collect aluminum cans as both a "Clean up the city and county effort" and for a fundraiser, with the "1,000 pounds" of moisture released, I now understand why the trouble started....

Not only did the campus site's begin to smell like a "Friday night at Hank's Honky-Tonk and Grill", but since all the schools were in the city limits, the city health officer began his visits to each of the campus principal's office. It seem that all that remaining "moisture" attracted rats, mice, and flies...."

Let's see, how many drunk flies does it take to make a pound.... :icon_scratch:

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
billjustbill said:
I don't think I've ever knew any place that collected that many pounds of aluminum cans.. ;D BUT, it could have been a way to make a large collection pile of those cans certainly weigh more.....

Several years ago, when the local school district let each elementary, jr. high, and high school campus collect aluminum cans as both a "Clean up the city and county effort" and for a fundraiser, with the "1,000 pounds" of moisture released, I now understand why the trouble started....

Not only did the campus site's begin to smell like a "Friday night at Hank's Honky-Tonk and Grill", but since all the schools were in the city limits, the city health officer began his visits to each of the campus principal's office. It seem that all that remaining "moisture" attracted rats, mice, and flies...."

I'm lookin at about 75,000 lbs of cans now :headbang:

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
billjustbill said:

Crushed flies or uncrushed :laughing7:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[[/quote]
I'm lookin at about 75,000 lbs of cans now :headbang:[/quote]

Our little old town has nothing like that... Wow!!

Like standing in front of Elvis's gates, you should sell tickets and $5 pics..... Just think of how the college crowd could brag, standing in front of a pile like that......

Pictures please.....

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
billjustbill said:

Like standing in front of Elvis's gates, you should sell tickets and $5 pics..... Just think of how the college crowd could brag, standing in front of a pile like that......

Pictures please.....

[/quote] Sorry I'm at work, I'm a scale master at a large scrap yard. I'm new to this haven't learned how to post pics yet. This weekend I will learn. If you have scrap ? feel free to ask

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAres said:
billjustbill said:
I'm lookin at about 75,000 lbs of cans now :headbang:

Pictures please.....

[/quote] Sorry I'm at work, I'm a scale master at a large scrap yard. I'm new to this haven't learned how to post pics yet. This weekend I will learn. If you have scrap ? feel free to ask
[/quote]

What's #1 copper and clean extruded aluminum going for in your neck of the woods?

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
billjustbill said:

Pictures please.....

[/quote] #1 solids $3.50 6063(ext.) $0.81

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all, that was a funny thread.
thanks also wares, I'm gonna go call my scrapman right now, you a little too far, to haul it to you from Florida! LOL! ;D
Our scrap place stopped taking crushed cans, but the owner will still take mine, as long as he's there when I show up. He knows us, and knows he can trust us, we've been friends a long time.
Truth and honesty goes a long way, imo.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
lots of crushed cans

Attachments

• metals 029.jpg
    metals 029.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,756
  • metals 029.jpg
    metals 029.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,688
  • metals 029.jpg
    metals 029.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 1,677

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bwaaack! Bwaaack! Bwaaack!

Ya hear my semi, backing in, to get loaded! ;D

Dude, that's a lot of cans! :hello2:

Oh yeah, you look REAL familiar, or I just been in S Fla. too long!? LOL! :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread