Aluminum can...heavier when crushed?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if you put a rock or fishing weight into it BEFORE crushing.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
My stepdad said that they wont even take crushed cans in TN anymore because of those problems!

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weigh it crush it and check the weight again simple enough.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a can when crushed does not gain or lose weight ---it does however become smaller in size * thus it loses volume (or size) leaving the smaller crushed can weighing the same as the bigger non crushed can (thus it is denser --because its the same "actual" weight -- but in a smaller size)-- being smaller in size and the same weight -- more crushed cans will fit into the same sized garbage bags * than non crushed ones will.

if a garbage bags holds say 100 non crushed "full sized" cans -- and it will hold say 150 crushed smaller ones --and the crushed can bag weights 50% more -- its only because theres 50% more cans in the bag!!!--- the crushed cans do not weight more theres simply more of em per bag. :wink: :icon_thumright:

that is unless your doctoring the cans before crushing --adding something to add "extra" weight and crushing them to hide the fact.

staying awake in science class ---- -tells us this. :wink: :icon_thumright:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The actual weight will be the same as you can prove with a scale. However, the perceived weight may change when crushing the can as it will be more dense.

Heft a can in your hand, then crush it and heft it again. It will appear to be heavier to you but check it with a scale and it will weigh the same. :icon_thumright:

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
basically what i said

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I tried this experiment just a few minutes ago and two facts are indisputable.
1- The crushed can is actually LIGHTER than the uncrushed can by 12 ounces!
2- And I'm all wet and smell like beer.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Which weighs more, 100 pounds of feathers or 100 pounds of lead? :laughing7:.....NGE

hobo finds

Mar 15, 2010
nowgittineverything said:
Which weighs more, 100 pounds of feathers or 100 pounds of lead? :laughing7:.....NGE

which weighs more a truck load of un crushed cans or a truck load of crushed cans? ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
crushed cans--because crushed cans are smaller in size more of them will fit in the same space ,(say a pick up bed) than uncrushed cans --duh.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if ya gotta ask that one you will never know. ;D

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In this same line of thought...

Which weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers....

I chuckled about the beer nutz...

OP
OP
O

Ohioan

I forgot I posted this good to see its still going :laughing7: I was hoping for some responses that would settle this in my mind after having someone tell me that they were and well I suppose I'm gullable, but I of course having "some" common sense knew that it would have to be the same weight. Anyway i didn't realize there were so many commedians here on the scrap metal forum (busy place) Thanks for all your "help" :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

wicowboy 111

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2011
WI.
HA I was shocked when I took a few hundred lbs of cans in one day and old guy there with some told me i should of crushed them and they would of weighed more ?first I thought oh OK then next thought was he is a nut and what school did he go to.
how to make things weigh more than they are by doing this I remember a guy that use to accumulate car radiators all year but only take them in in the winter. one day I asked him why he took them in only in the winter his answer was they weigh more. I finely figured this out now its your turn to figure it out. I never did it and you shouldn't ether take care Roger

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wicowboy 111 said:
HA I was shocked when I took a few hundred lbs of cans in one day and old guy there with some told me i should of crushed them and they would of weighed more ?first I thought oh OK then next thought was he is a nut and what school did he go to.
how to make things weigh more than they are by doing this I remember a guy that use to accumulate car radiators all year but only take them in in the winter. one day I asked him why he took them in only in the winter his answer was they weigh more. I finely figured this out now its your turn to figure it out. I never did it and you shouldn't ether take care Roger

Was he letting water freeze inside of the radiators?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread