Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What to do with brass & copper junk found detecting or digging bottles

I have started throwing all this stuff like shell casings, spoons, wire, and any thing else that looks green in a 5 gallon bucket. If I'm unsure, I hit it with a file to see if it is reddish or yellowish inside. Should I be sorting more dilligently between brass and copper, and if I take it in all together, would I just get the brass price? I really just started doing this and any advice would be welcome.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Re: What to do with brass & copper junk found detecting or digging bottles

Yes, if you want a better price, you should separate. Also, you should take out the shell casings as they might not take your stuff if they are mixed in with it. See if they will buy those separate. If not, and they are still reusable, see if a firing range will purchase them.. Also if you have red brass and yellow brass, separate them as well.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hypoman said:
Yes, if you want a better price, you should separate. Also, you should take out the shell casings as they might not take your stuff if they are mixed in with it. See if they will buy those separate. If not, and they are still reusable, see if a firing range will purchase them.. Also if you have red brass and yellow brass, separate them as well.

Thanks. I have just started doing this after a friend told me he filled a 5 gallon bucket with brass & copper junk and got $80 for it. Most of what I am finding is dirty and green. I thought if it is reddish after I hit it with a file, it's copper. Yellowish it's brass. Not sure I know what red brass is.

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II

The yellow brass is more yellow due to more zinc in the composition. Red brass has a reddish brown/bronze looking hue and less zinc. Yellow is usually found on indoor plumbing ad keys and doorknobs. Red is usually found on things like sprinkler heads, hose nozzles, outdoor faucets and measuring equipment. I have found a few hose nozzles metal detecting myself. Copper will have a red/brown/pinkish tint to it, such as in the wire you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread