Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By goldsilverpro

Thread: Dummies Guide to Easy Silver Bullion Refining at Home

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dirt Dobber

Nov 2011
    Austin, Texas, area
    Garrett 350
    Relic Hunting

Dummies Guide to Easy Silver Bullion Refining at Home

I hope this is a good enough place for this and that it is allowed.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread810904/pg1

This article is from another site and is exactly as it says, very simple and neat way to refine scrap silver to 99.9%.
    (In the US, anyway, it is illegal to melt coins for precious metal content. The article came from Australia.)

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Feb 2008
    southern NJ
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Dummies Guide to Easy Silver Bullion Refining at Home

It's not illegal to melt US coins, except for the nickel and cent. Silver and gold coins are fair game.

us
    Dirt Dobber

Nov 2011
    Austin, Texas, area
    Garrett 350
    Relic Hunting

Markmopar is correct. Only nickels and pennies are specifically illegal to melt.
    Technically, it seems that the others could fall under the "defacing" rules for all money, but that seems not to be the case at present.

us
    Dec 2008
    2 times

be careful if you do this, the red fumes will send you to the hospital, build a fume hood and be safe.
    Mike

May 2007
    2 times

The guy in the article has done things pretty well and he gave it a good shot. I don't care much for the potato thing, though. You can buy a jeweler's melting dish for about $4.

I see 3 things or statements that I would question:
    ---A propane torch without oxygen isn't hot enough to melt gold, at least in a open melt.
    ---He never gave the weight of the final silver bead. I would bet it weighs less than 3 grams.
    ---You will never get 99.9% purity using this method and will be lucky to get 99.0%. This method is an excellent one that is commonly used to upgrade silver so it can more easily be purified to at least 99.9% (the accepted definition of pure or Fine silver) in an electrolytic silver cell.

If you are really interested in the refining, etc., etc., of Precious Metals, the most definitive, informative, and complete site, by far, on the internet is:
    http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/
    Big H likes this.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    289 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

once you get the ore to nugget size, where do you get it assayed and what does that cost?
    May you know peace all the years of your life

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    39 times

Quote Originally Posted by Alienson
    Markmopar is correct. Only nickels and pennies are specifically illegal to melt.
    Technically, it seems that the others could fall under the "defacing" rules for all money, but that seems not to be the case at present.

I was watching a show on coins a few years ago on history channel or some other channel..anyways the point being they showed the magicians coin or something like it an the head of the us mint was on there an the guy asked if it was legal to do that to a us coin an the guys answer was Yes any coin that is in you pocket is your to do as you wish Us Mint doesn't own your money.. or something to that effect
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors