Is it worth it to keep scrap detected metal?

dumpdigger

Nov 30, 2008
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XLT, Vaquero & Fisher 1280
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep it all and sell it. I put the small iron, wire and unidentified stuff in microwaves, washing machines and such. They like it just fine. Just as long as wire isn't loose to wrap around everything.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
The scrap yard here is russell will take barbed wire as long as it is rolled up. But you need alot of it to make any money. Last time i took some in i think it was $70 a ton.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try selling the barbwire on Craigslist.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT probably depends on how much you hunt and how much scrap you dig. IF you were able to save 5 pounds of copper or brass that would be about $15 for you. If you hunt very much you can dig that and more in a month. I think diggers who throw it all away are just tossing $$$ in the trash.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell if they dont want it send it to me!! I keep everything, everything is worth something. If its metal, its going with me!!

HECK YEAH : If I dig it & its metal I might as well get paid 4 it .I always dig up brass water meter type stuff that is usually pure brass & comes in @ a pound or more I just wash the dirt out with a hose & thats usually 3 or more $ right there .Man I save it all.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save it all, I scrap on occasion. I have 4 five gallon buckets full of copper wire , pipe and misc and I have a 5 gallon bucket of brass another of stainless steel and a ton of aluminum and big 55 gallon barrels full of iron. Iron is only worth about .08-.11 cents a pound at the moment so you need alot to make it matter. Aluminum is around 50 cents a pound, copper is around 2-3 dollars a pound, brass is a little less. But ever little bit helps.

I live on a farm and I have the room but I have 3 big piles of larger iron items, like fence posts and machinery parts.

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
I have separate piles for everything. Barbed wire goes with the tin and tin cans causeit pays the same here. Heavy steel goes on a flat bed after being prepared. Copper and brass go in buckets inside my shed. Aluminum cansand other aluminum go in an old horse trailer

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrap EVERY piece of junk I dig up. If I identify it as ferrous, I throw it into the drum of one of the washers or dryers I am scrapping. My brother brought me about 60 lbs of stuff he dug up. I added it to my scrap, sold it, then bought him a pack of 20 alkaline batteries from harbor freight the next time I went there with the money I received for it. He got fresh batteries for junk. Not a bad trade.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering if it would be worth it to keep all the junk metal for scrap. If so would it just be copper and brass or iron too? Also do scrap yards take barbed wire? Thanks

Last summer I cleaned out my junk bag filled with sockets, wire, brass, and trinkets I found while detecting. I got 9lbs of brass @ $2.00 a pound! Also, when I'm around old wooden power poles, I'll usually come up with a copper nut or one of those "Split Bolts" made of solid copper and used to connect heavy copper wires. I keep those for needs around my place. I put them inside an old quart jar and spray the new and old ones with WD-40 before I twist on the lid. Some of those split bolts can cost $8 or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread