billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where else besides metal press punches can carbide be found. I know some drill bits are but how can you tell which ones[/QUOTE

Metal Lathe Bits can have replaceable carbide inserts in the shape of triangles. Some of those electric drywall router bits are solid carbide; so are some Dremel tool cutters. I laughed when I saw how one fellow at a surplus store separated High Speed Steel bits from solid Carbide, because of the simplicity of it.... He used a strong small magnet.... HSS bits pop to a magnet and resist getting pulled off. Carbide bits have about 1/3 the attraction of steel bits. When you try a few, you'll know which bits are which. Try it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vargg

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
carbide is easy to spot. its a darker shade then steel also very heavy like lead. in a tool room most times u get it from cutting tools. inserts, endmills, lathe tools, grinding burrs, drills,

David013

Apr 8, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never scrapped b4 but ive been hoarding carbide since i work in a machine shop. u guys got any clue on price for solid carbide end mills and such per pound??

Vargg ! I would recommend you to get in touch with Carbide Recycling Company. They are buying the Scraps world wide. As all of us are aware that the prices are the subject of transmogrify. It can change any time. Anyway, you need not to worry about, they are offing the best price in the market (same day). Carbide Recycling Company is the trusted name among the Scrap metals. Here you can sell carbide, tungsten , High speed steels and many others too. Hope this will help

Ydivitsyawe

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked as a machinist for years and didn't realize that carbide was so valuable. We would just chunk old bits which was everyday. It doesn't take too many endmills to make a pound either.

ageecee

Greenie
Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i saw some tungsten carbide go for $13 a lb at an auction last week

wedwes

Greenie
Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ever collect any carbide scrap, I'd be interested in purchasing it from you. Paying top dollar. No limit. Please email me at [email protected] for more information. Paying $13/lb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread