May be the wrong place here but what can I do with a found Iphone?

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
Found an Iphone 4 water hunting. Was able to get it dry enough to turn on but it appears to be locked.

It has a Sprint SIMs card.

Don't just want to leave it at a Sprint or Apple store, God only knows what would be done with it.

Called around to a few places about selling it for scrap or parts, but none would take it as it is "locked".

What can I do with it?

Thanks!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paperweight

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Google "unlock Iphone" you should find some info. Also, maybe put SIM card into another phone.
If not reported as Lost or Stolen, you can sell to Gazelle on-line. Just sold 2 dead iphones (water damaged). One for $70 and One for $30.
Depends on model. Working phone get more $$$$

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usell . com

used that a few times and got some decent $$ back, even on phones that were smashed to all hell and wouldnt turn on.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If its a cellphone zombies cellphone,hold it for ransom.:laughing7:They'll be jonesing for it soon

OP
OP
Jeff In North Georgia

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Google "unlock Iphone" you should find some info. Also, maybe put SIM card into another phone.
If not reported as Lost or Stolen, you can sell to Gazelle on-line. Just sold 2 dead iphones (water damaged). One for $70 and One for $30.

Not sure if someone lost it in the water or it could have been stolen and someone threw it in the water when they could not use it or sell it?

Have also seen some machines in shopping malls that buy them. Are their prices about the same as the online stores?

Thanks!

DonM

Apr 2, 2003
Whitby, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go the Apple store and let them make a note of the serial # so they an do a search re warranty registration - but tell them you will only release it to the rightful owner - so ask them to have the owner to contact you directly.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you can buy a unlock code on ebay so you can unlock it. Then you can use it for surfing the net

OP
OP
Jeff In North Georgia

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used

I have friend that is a cop. Took it to him (recommended by Apple) but no help. Said if I left it, it would just go into the "lost and found" and thrown out in a month.

I went to an Apple store. Absolutely no help, helping me find or contact the owner. We too busy trying to sell new devices to the public. Told me to throw it away in the trash.

So I contacted Gazelle on the web. Offered it to them as damaged / not working and got a $30 offer for it. Was contacted by them once they received it and found it to work. Asked me to turn off the "Locate My Iphone" app but explained that I could not. Said they would recalculate my offer. Came back with a $50 offer a few days later and I accepted it.

I guess it just shows that persistance pays off!

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread