Urea, which can I use.

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
Hello guys
I'm getting ready to refine some gold and I'm a little confused on the urea stuff. Does it have to be 100% urea to neutralize the hydrochloric and nitric acid or can I use the stuff sold at Lowes and Home Depot with other stuff in it. Some has more of a % of urea in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW I'll be using Stump Out as well.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Urea is NOT needed in the recovery or refining of gold. While urea will aid in neutralizing execss nitric acid, there are methods that are far better for removing excess nitric acid. The best method is to not use excess nitric acid.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
All the valid practical knowledge I have on recovery and refining of gold has come from the Gold Refining Forum. Should you decide to take a little Internet trip to the GRF, use the search function to look for entries on "urea" and "excess nitric". You will find a lot of information. I am still replacing things I though I knew with correct information or better techniques. It is not that urea does not work, just that it is not necessary. Please give them a visit.

Until then, to use up any excess nitric acid in your AR solution, just add a little more HCL and a pure gold button. A tiny amount of the button will be dissolved, using up any excess nitric. This gold will then be recovered when you precipitate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Great.. thanks galenrog.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
be very careful .. can cause explosive issues

OP
OP
nvradar

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the warning ivan, I have watched and read enough to know it is dangerous if you aren't slow and careful. Seems most have vauge amounts of what to add together. The urea was a concern because I didn't want to add other chemicals to the mix, why I asked about it. I just don't know if it takes 100% urea or the hardware store stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread