Silver Plated Tray

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently we obtained a HUGE sliver plated serving tray Must was at least 15 lbs and is about 18 inches long by 14 wide Now I know it isnt sliver but what is the scrap out value on something like this---------- If its any help it was a gift the neighbors mother won in a Tennis Contest There is not any engraving But the tray is very ornate Thanks for any info

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The scrap value is that of the underlying base metal. The silver plating does NOT make it more valuable at the scrapyard.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last I knew, if it is silver plate over clean Brass, Yellow Brass was $1.44 lb. If it says: "Silver over Copper", then if cleaned off of large zinc cast handles and footings, it would go for #2 copper and that went for $1.83lb..... If the ornate overlay isn't stamped in, but it is thick and soldered on, it is a lot of work to get it off.......I'd take it to the scrap yard missing the heavy stuff and ask if they'll classify it as #2 copper on the chance they might take it.

With the holiday seasons coming, undented and unscratched, you could get more with a sharp picture of it on Craigslist or at a flea market than the base metal would bring.

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i read a pawn shop trade magazine once.saw a add in there for silver plate buyers. i think it was 2,oo a pound

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw some reverse electoplating videos with a battery charger on u tube

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread