What do you think of asking for a finders fee?

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC
What do you think of asking for a finder's fee?

On my alley route in the city, an empty aluminum beer keg has been sitting by a set of dumpsters for 8+ months. It is too heavy for me to get into my station wagon, and I don't have anyone who can help me. Clearly, the company emptying the dumpsters also can't lift it or it'd be gone.

Do you think any scrapper would pay a small finder's fee for the keg, say 10-15 bucks or so? If you think so, how would I find someone? Post on Craigslist?

I know that most of you on this board are strong and young or young at heart guys and you'd just get the keg yourself. But, I'm just not able to. Everytime I go by the keg, I think it's money left on the ground as well as a recycling opportunity wasted.

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Re: What do you think of asking for a finder's fee?

Kittywitty, I had an old aunt that once told me. WHERE THERE"S A WILL, THERE"S A WAY! = Empty it? Then lift it? Or get a Come A Long and pull it up in a trailer. Better yet get the help of a few friends and lift it! If it's real heavy tie a pole to it with rope and 2 to 4 people can lift it into what ever. If your will is to move it ! YOU CAN! Use your beannie. ------ Now that's worth 10%, LOL, Just kidding.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.

If you have permission to take it, I would try and find out from local beer distributors if it can be returned to them. In my area we have to pay a deposit on the keg and it will be refunded when you return it. It used to be $25.00 , and then a couple years ago they raised the deposit up quite high, I'm thinking maybe $50.00. This law was suppose to help keep minors from purchasing them for parties. So now the kids just get cases instead. some government official had a great idea there. But anyhow it would probably be worth much more to return it rather than selling it for scrap price. Get someone to help you load it if you can.

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

probly ain't worth more than 10 bucks in scrap so a finders fee would be out. Why not have a homeless guy help ya, or one of the homeless scrappers help ya put it in your wagon? Give him a couple of bucks and away you go.

I'm not sure how the deposit system works anymore, most kegs would have the name of the beer and the name of the distributor on the band or near the tap end.

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007

Ahh yes, kegs, finally something I know something about. Last one I got here the deposit was $100.

If it's too heavy to lift somebody wasted some beer.

I'd call around distributors first, then check with the beer stores to see what they'd give. Could be enough to enlist some help. If all else fails, poke a couple holes in the bottom of the keg with a nail or something and let it drain. It should be light enough to lift after that but you're only going to get scrap price which would be a small percentage of it's functional worth.

fishfinder

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004

Those Kegs are S/S not aluminum. If it is heavy it is not empty. They are very lite when empty. Sell it as a keg not as scrap.....should bring 50 to 75$

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!

the scrap yard I go to here in Illinois will not take kegs. Too much theft from restuarants & bars. Before you take to scrap see if your yard will accept it first.

Rumblebelly

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im sure in most areas You need a Receipt to get your Deposit
Back because of thefts but they may give you
a Small Payment for it at the distributer.

OP
OP
K

kittywitty

Mar 20, 2008
Washington, DC

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't realize that the keg is likely stainless, thought it was aluminum so it may not be worth much in scrap. Think the scrap yard I go to is paying .50/pound for aluminum so I thought it might be worth something. Of course, if most of the weight is beer then I'm out of luck there too.

Appreciate the insight and advice.

KW

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think the beer companys pay around $300.00 a keg from the manufacture so the scrap yards are not suspose to buy them. They should be returned.Call scrap yard first and beer company.I think it best to forget it.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Go by the place where you can get kegs. Ask them how much the location of a keg is worth to them. If you like what you hear lead them to the spot. siegfried schlagrule

bluecat

Feb 21, 2007

Most scrap yards will not accept kegs. They know that someone else owns them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread