Vermont town sees loophole to push gun control

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Vermont town sees loophole to push gun control

By: Jon Street
12/19/2013 04:13 PM

BURLINGTON, Vt. — It’s against state law to try to regulate guns in the Green Mountain State, but city officials here are looking at what may be a loophole.

Burlington wants to be able to confiscate and secure weapons for up to five days following a domestic dispute, and enact other restrictions.

City Councilman Norm Blais told Vermont Watchdog the council has the authority to pass new city gun regulations because of a single clause — “except as otherwise provided by law” — that proceeds the state law making the firearms regulations illegal in Vermont.

Blais was the first in the city to push for new gun laws after the December 2012 shooting massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., left 26 people dead, 20 of them children.

“To those people who say we don’t need this legislation in Burlington because nothing like this has ever happened here before, well the people of Newtown, Conn. could have said that before Dec. (14),” Blais said during a City Council meeting earlier this year.

During that meeting, Blais proposed an amendment to Burlington’s charter that would have banned semi-automatic weapons and magazine clips capable of holding multiple rounds. But with that proposal, the Ward 6 councilman unleashed a furious debate that is far from settled.

“They have an anti-gun agenda,” Burlington resident Scott Chapman said. “All of the ordinances ultimately end up in confiscation.”

Two members of the seven-member City Council, Rachel Siegel and Tom Ayres, empathized with those who thought the amendment was too far reaching and the proposal fell flat.

But that hasn’t stopped Blais.

While he failed to win support from Siegel and Ayres for an all-out ban on assault weapons, Blais has managed to garner their support on a few less extreme ordinances.

The first proposal would allow police to seize firearms for up to five days following a domestic dispute. A second ordinance would make it illegal to carry a firearm inside a liquor establishment, while the third would require residents to obtain a permit before carrying a concealed weapon.

Even the city’s more moderate approaches to gun control, however, has some residents up in arms.

“What’s being proposed conflicts directly with the Vermont State Constitution. It’s clear the ordinances are an assault on one’s individual right to bear arms,” said Bill Moore, a gun-rights activist and spokesman for Gun Owners of Vermont.

But Blais says even constitutional rights have some limits.

“Any constitutional right is subject to governmental regulation — free speech, free assembly — all those are amendable to government regulation that’s reasonable,” Blais said.

Even if the City Council approves the ordinances, that’s just the beginning of the process. Voters would get their say, and if they approve, the measures would move to the Vermont General Assembly for approval.

Yet Chapman, the Burlington resident, says the proposals are nothing more than an attempt to override the state’s gun laws.

“What they’re asking for is the ability to supersede state law with a city ordinance,” Chapman said. “They’re looking for anything they can start to build upon to eventually abolish the ownership of firearms in Vermont.”

While city officials argue that putting more new gun ordinances forward will reduce the threat of gun violence, Darin Goens, state liaison to Vermont for the National Rifle Association, said the proposals would do “nothing” to improve safety or reduce violent crime.

“Vermont’s current gun laws are already effective as the state has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,” Goens added.

Indeed, a look at the FBI’s most recent crime data shows that Vermont in 2011 had a relatively low violent-crime rate with an average of 135.2 violent crimes for every 100,000 people. Nationally, the violent crime rate stood at 386.3 per 100,000 people.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Burlington isn't part of Vermont. It's part of California. It just happens to be located in the North East. People from VT will understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
va6ahu8y.jpg

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked many times before to please stop with the hitler/nazi comparisons.

Sorry If It offends you but just because you or someone asks does not mean it has to happen. I am expressing my belief and it does not break any TN rules or mod rules.

If your offended skip over it...

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have asked many times before to please stop with the hitler/nazi comparisons.

Reasonable requests will be ignored as long as people posting here place their political agenda ahead of what is appropriate to post. Recall that Treasure hunter used to have a photo of someone holding a gun to someone else's head in his signature....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
TH,

Has nothing to do with your beliefs or my beliefs. My request is not political.

You can easilly make your point without marginalizing all of those affected by hitler/nazi regime.

I know I am not the only person who has asked that this behavior be altered.

It is offensive, whether you agree or not, and it is in bad taste. Just asking you to put personal politics aside on this one and do the right thing.

Thank you.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,

You can easilly make your point without marginalizing all of those affected by hitler/nazi regime.

It is offensive, whether you agree or not, and it is in bad taste. Just asking you to put personal politics aside on this one and do the right thing.

Thank you.

Jersey,, You have the right to be offended, you are clearly trying to politicize this subject, and I am deeply offended by your incessant crying over these weird beliefs of yours. It is in bad taste to try and limit our speech because you can't control your emotions. Please stop. Do the right thing and ignore the posts that bother you.
Once more. Please try and stop offending me?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jersey,, You have the right to be offended, you are clearly trying to politicize this subject, and I am deeply offended by your incessant crying over these weird beliefs of yours. It is in bad taste to try and limit our speech because you can't control your emotions. Please stop. Do the right thing and ignore the posts that bother you.
Once more. Please try and stop offending me?

Dave,

Nice try. It shows a complete lack of understanding and willingness to have any human decency to continue to marginalize the issue. Thanks for continuing the push...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

Nice try. It shows a complete lack of understanding and willingness to have any human decency to continue to marginalize the issue. Thanks for continuing the push...
It shows you will go to any lengths to censor free speech if the end of the conversation can be swayed to your side. Look up Politics, Ben. Funny you try to claim you are not being political. You have used every political tactic in the book.

I will start you with Wiki.. Look it up.

"Politics (from Greek: politikos, meaning "of, for, or relating to citizens") is the practice and theory of influencing other people on a civic or individual level. More narrowly, it refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance — organized control over a human community, particularly a state. A variety of methods are employed in politics, which include promoting one's own political views among people, negotiation with other political subjects, making laws, and exercising force, including warfare against adversaries. Politics is exercised on a wide range of social levels, from clans and tribes of traditional societies, through modern local governments, companies and institutions up to sovereign states, to the international level."

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It shows you will go to any lengths to censor free speech if the end of the conversation can be swayed to your side. Look up Politics, Ben. Funny you try to claim you are not being political. You have used every political tactic in the book.

I will start you with Wiki.. Look it up.

"Politics (from Greek: politikos, meaning "of, for, or relating to citizens") is the practice and theory of influencing other people on a civic or individual level. More narrowly, it refers to achieving and exercising positions of governance — organized control over a human community, particularly a state. A variety of methods are employed in politics, which include promoting one's own political views among people, negotiation with other political subjects, making laws, and exercising force, including warfare against adversaries. Politics is exercised on a wide range of social levels, from clans and tribes of traditional societies, through modern local governments, companies and institutions up to sovereign states, to the international level."

Dave... I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have been nothing but genuine with everyone about my PERSONAL feeling that the nazi/hitler comparisons are deeply offensive to me.

You seem to be over thinking this. I am telling you I have no agenda so please dont make it into some political game. THAT IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY. Dont mix politics with the hitler/nazi stuff.

Take you blinders off for 2 seconds, be a decent human being, and stop arguing with me. You are a piece of work...

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave... I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have been nothing but genuine with everyone about my PERSONAL feeling that the nazi/hitler comparisons are deeply offensive to me.

You seem to be over thinking this. I am telling you I have no agenda so please dont make it into some political game. THAT IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY. Dont mix politics with the hitler/nazi stuff.

Take you blinders off for 2 seconds, be a decent human being, and stop arguing with me. You are a piece of work...

The whole quote including "You are a piece of work" is a political diatribe. Your incessant defense of your stance that it is only a "PERSONAL feeling" is a sad effort to squash discussion. Yep. Political.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,

Thank you.

Jb, that is your personal opinion. Not the right thing to do according to who, that would also be a personal opinion.

I am not marginalizing all of those affected by hitler/nazi regime. My father was tailgunner on B-17s over Germany and 3 uncles in army fought the Nazis in Germany, 3 more uncles were in the South Pacific.

Just because you don't see the correlation between Hitler and what our government is trying to do right now doesn't mean we agree..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reasonable requests will be ignored as long as people posting here place their political agenda ahead of what is appropriate to post. Recall that Treasure hunter used to have a photo of someone holding a gun to someone else's head in his signature....

It was not my signature it was a picture I and others have posted..

I have had many different signatures in the past and will have more in the future....

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You act as though my personal opinion does not mean jack crap.

I am not telling anyone what to do. I am asking you to consider how your actions affect other people.

There is a big difference. If you all cannot see that then there is nothing more I can say.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am not telling anyone what to do. I am asking you to consider how your actions affect other people.

There is a big difference. If you all cannot see that then there is nothing more I can say.

And you are acting like your rants don't offend me. Please consider how I feel about censorship and how your efforts to silence me are affecting me?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh JB - just stop.

Many posts, from Yours to UM to OB to PWP offend me; but I just deal with it - Because it is your right to have your opinion.
I know you wont understand, but believe me, please.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

Does my personal opinion count for anything with you or your buddies ? I hardly think so. Stop whining. You continuously jump into threads you claim offend you and then you get offended. You play the part of the "victim" very well. We've all got things that bother us for a huge variety of reasons. Most of us have enough common sense to avoid those things.. I posted a personal story from my younger years about an old woman I had known who went through such life changing crap during the holocaust that it landed her in a state insane asylum in an effort to show you that some of us DO understand. You completely ignored it because you see me as an adversary. So be it. You can't have it both ways. You jump head first into the mud and then whine about getting dirty. Leave this section of the forum alone and take your lap dog with you if a picture of a man who's been dead for 70 years is that horrifying. I tried extending the olive branch to OB and the rest of you the past couple of days in the spirit of the "Christmas truce" thread. All I got was the same old turned up nose due to him feeling he is so far above me that I don't deserve a response. Well fine so be it. I have nothing else to say that wouldn't violate the rules.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread