Garrett AT Pro... arm cuff keeps breaking.. help..

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, minelab excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im on my 2nd plastic arm cuff for the GARRETT AT PRO.. this arm cuffs are horrible... does anyone know where i can buy an aluminum arm cuff for the garrett at pro? 600 dollar machine you would think they would make a better arm cuff for it.. i have cheap 80 dollar bounty hunter nd the arm cuff has never broken and i used for 4 years before..thanks for any direction on this matter

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you the guy who does not use the arm strap? I don't know, but it seems to me the strap is part of the strength.

OP
OP
hurricane dale

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i use the strp on..lmao... j/k... yes i use the strap with the velcro...but..i think the heat from the friction of arm and heat here in miami cause it to wear down... im trying to find someone to fabricate some type of metal mold to replace the plastic one

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be easy enough to reinforce the area which broke with fiberglass cloth and epoxy.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the arm cuff from a Garrett Sea Hunter could be made to work? It is a nicely made, aluminum cuff with strap.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dale, I got the same problem with my Ace 250 arm cuff. At wlamart, you can get a cheap $5.00 acrylic fingernail kit. Make up the acrylic and it will repair the break (usually) and be stronger than the original plastic.
This will also work (usually) if you crack your waterproof battery cases, too.

The excall metal arm band may can be fitted to work too. Check with Lorraine or Joe at Reillys in Pompano, they may be able to fabricate you one, reasonably. Good luck and HH.

OP
OP
hurricane dale

hurricane dale

Nov 1, 2009
miami,florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks pat..funny thing is i bought the at pro from reillys lol.... about a year ago....lorraine sold it to me.....hard to find place in a warehouse rea with a garage..lol.. but, i found it at the time..yeah i will check with her on tuesday when they open again...thanks again..HH

petesabout

Dec 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0504.JPG Hmm, had the exact same problem too with ace 250. As mentioned above, i'm pretty sure that heat of the day plus friction, makes the cuffs very weak.
So after 4 breaking on me i decided that was enough!
I made my own. Get down to Homebase and buy a 4" pvc wastepipe bend. look for the one that has the last 3 inches flared.(guess why you want the last 3"?)
I chopped that piece off, chopped off the top leaving a more profound and tighter circle than the original armcuff.
Get your old cuff and snap off the remaining half leaving you with the bottom portion that is moulded to fit the shaft.
Drill through the new cuff with 2 holes into the old shaft clamp, add some glue and put 2 large self tappers through it all. make sure you countersink them!
A series of holes drilled and filed into shape for the velcro strap done the trick.
The sticky foam.... i was lucky and the last cuff i used broke, but was left hanging by unbroken foam,so i peeled that off and used it.
I stuck the original 2 halves of the yellow cuff around the new one for decoration and to hide the grey pipe.
Sounds tricky writing it out, but the whole thing took me less than 20 minutes.... And it isn't EVER gonna break again!!!
It's tighter, stronger and you can wave the detector about like it's Harry Potters wand. Cost... $10.95

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Man, Its funny I saw this, because i went thru 2 of them the first year of this machine, I never had an issue with the ACE thou.. But I knew it must be an issue, because when I called Garrett about the problem, they had no questions and sent me 2 more of them, I think you might be on it with the heat, The both broke during the summer. And i dont use the strap at all, its to hard to get on and off, plus i do alot of detecting in the woods, and my hands free on the incline

jandelfi

Jan 3, 2014
Titusville, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, 5900Di, Fisher Aquanaut, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arm Cuff Fix

im on my 2nd plastic arm cuff for the GARRETT AT PRO.. this arm cuffs are horrible... does anyone know where i can buy an aluminum arm cuff for the garrett at pro? 600 dollar machine you would think they would make a better arm cuff for it.. i have cheap 80 dollar bounty hunter nd the arm cuff has never broken and i used for 4 years before..thanks for any direction on this matter

On my Whites 5900, I cut a 4" plastic pipe in half, rounded the corners off to remove the sharp edges, then used the other half under the cuff for a stand. Used bolts all the way through (top to bottom) with lock washers, never had a problem. Going on 8 years with the new fix. Good luck!!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 2 of Jeff's metal arm cuffs for both my AT Pros and am very happy with the quality.

punkass761

Jun 10, 2012
SOUTHERN California
Detector(s) used
GARRETT ATGOLD, GTP 1350,Ace 250,2 propointers, Whites coinmaster,bounty hunter pioneer ex,radio shack vlf. discriminator fisher pinpointer,hf pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i found this youtube video on how to make one its not english but it is easy enough to follow hope it helps.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Customer service

Garrett has excellent service just call and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Digger Dusty

Greenie
Apr 30, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Broken Arm cuff repaired

I had the same problem with my AT Pro and I don't like and refuse to use the strap.
I repaired mine by taking a piece of paper and first making a form of the inside cuff. Then I took a piece of sheet metal and cut it and bended it to fit the inside of the broken cuff. Then I got a flat piece of rubber padding and also cut that to the form of the cuff.
Then I glued and expoxied everything together. They thicker sheet metal held the broken cuff to it's original form while the epoxy dried. *Don't worry, the sheet metal on the cuff is far enough away from the coil and will not screw up any of the readings.
I've been using my ATPro with the repaired cuff for two years now and haven't had any problems with it at all. Works great and is much sturdier than the original mfg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread