Need Minelab Excalibur 1000 parts (lower shaft and)

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The lower shaft on my Excalibur 1000 snapped this weekend. I superglued it and it feels strong, but want a spare shaft in case it happens again. I did an internet search but can't find a dealer that sells the shaft. Any suggestions?

Second question-the machine isn't new . In fact, I bought it used 3-4 years ago. When attaching the battery pod to the 3 pin plug, that 3rd smaller pin snapped recently. The machine works fine. Is this pin primarily to help attach the pod correctly, or is the function so important I need to replace the plug end? It seems to attach with screws.

Thanks, Maggie

Tin Shilling

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2007
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur & Explorer SE
I had a shaft break on one of my detectors as well. I made a replacement out of a 3/4 inch wooden dowel. Here is how to build it; To taper the the end of the dowel to fit into the shaft, I placed a screw in the end of the dowel, then put the screw into my power drill. I used a piece of sand paper on the free end as the dowel turned in the drill. When the taper looked close to the correct size, I checked it against the shaft tube. Use gloves as the friction creates a bit of heat. Once the taper is finished I removed the screw and used a small dove tail saw to cut the sides off of the dowel about two inches up and to the correct width to fit into the coil. I then used the same saw to trim the corners off of the coil end of the dowel to allow the coil to pivot once the dowel was attached. Last step drill the hole. I fixed this detector a couple of years ago and it's still going strong. I have an Excalibur as well, the small set screw is to ensure the positive and negative terminals are hooked up correctly as you mentioned, just be sure to line up the hole with the snapped off screw and you will be fine. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• RebuiltCoilConnector.jpg
    RebuiltCoilConnector.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 909
OP
OP
M

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to print your instructions in case my fix doesn't hold. Maggie

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Email or call Kellyco, they might have the part. Try Home Depot, they have a solid dowel rod in various diamters made of a hard durable plastic polymer that might work as well. ;D

OP
OP
M

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply. I talked with our regional Minelab rep when he made a club visit, and he said Minelab requires return to them so they can check the installation for water leaks. So apparently, they don't let dealers have the part. I'll send it to Minelab in the off season since I've not had it checked since I bought it used.

Maggie

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
I just bought a spare lower shaft from Kellyco on sale for 19 dollars , I went ahead and got the diveshaft which was also on sale for 19 dollars . These shafts are a little beefer at the area where they mount to coil. Bob

OP
OP
M

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the Heads Up! I went to Kellyco and ordered a new lower shaft. Never got it sent back to the factory, and probably won't unless some other problem arises. Maggie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread