Web sites with photos of 18th C and earlier fittings and shipwreck artifacts

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I've been scanning the net trying to find nautical archaeology web sites that display photos of fittings and other related 18 Century shipwreck artifacts. I haven't found much. Do you know of any good museum or other web sites where I can view photos of recovered artifacts. The archaeologists that preserve the future for the citizens seem to hide whatever they discover.

Thanks for any leads.

Bottlemanstx

Oct 6, 2008
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Garret Mark II / White's Classic ID5
IndianRiverSonrise said:
I've been scanning the net trying to find nautical archaeology web sites that display photos of fittings and other related 18 Century shipwreck artifacts. I haven't found much. Do you know of any good museum or other web sites where I can view photos of recovered artifacts. The archaeologists that preserve the future for the citizens seem to hide whatever they discover.

Thanks for any leads.
Below is a picture of what appears to be a dead eye with a very similar metal band around it almost like the one I posted yesterday. I found this image using a google search. Good luck with the research.

Attachments

• Deadeye.jpg
    Deadeye.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 512

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I use mostly books for identification purposes.
1. expedtition whydah by barry clifford
2. the history of american sailing ships by howard chappelle
3. building the wooden fighting ship by james dodds and james moore
4. warships of the great lakes by robert malcomson
5. american sailing ships/their plans and history by charles g davis

I'm sure there are others

JahMan2003

Aug 5, 2008
Kentucky
IndianRiverSonrise said:

Thanks for any leads.

How about this-- found after all of twenty second of searching on google. looks like it was written by an archeologist from Austrailia. Guess those guys aren't hiding their discoveries, unless your too lazy to type a search in google.

http://www.tamu.edu/upress/BOOKS/2005/mccarthy.htm

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Where are the artifacts?I think he wanted to look at photos of ship hardware on-line ,not buy a book for 65 dollars :-\

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
MIght have to resort to the books. It seems to me that the results of public paid research should have a requirement of being posted for easy access by the public.

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
BeachHugger said:
Know what you mean, IRS
Can you tell us what kind of artifact you are wanting to find info. on?
Here is a site that offers for sale some interesting shipwreck artifacts.
http://www.sedwickcoins.com/treasureauction4_catalog.htm
Of particular interest might be the section on "shipwreck artifacts" and "non-shipwreck artifacts"...

Yes, I looked at sedwickcoins. Great site. I was looking for the type of thing shown in http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com for Nov. 15 and Nov. 12. A fellow named Jeremy has a spot where he keeps digging up this stuff. Maybe some of the folks here could help him/me out by taking a look at that. He has some more pics that weren't posted but if people are interested, I'm sure he'll provide them.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I look at a ton of stuff,all around the net.Tell him to post some pictures we would love to see whatever he is finding...HH,relic

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
RELICDUDE07 said:
I look at a ton of stuff,all around the net.Tell him to post some pictures we would love to see whatever he is finding...HH,relic

I can't seem to get the pictures to post here. He just found what appears to be a rapier. That and some of the others miscellaneous finds can be seen by going to treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com. The rapier was posted just this morning. The others a week or two ago.

Attachments

• Sword.jpg
    Sword.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 282
OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
The suspected rapier pictured below, treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com says has been inspected by an archaeologist and is now thought to be a pike rather than a rapier. It will be x-rayed and then decisions will be made regarding conservation.

IndianRiverSonrise said:
RELICDUDE07 said:

I can't seem to get the pictures to post here. He just found what appears to be a rapier. That and some of the others miscellaneous finds can be seen by going to treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com. The rapier was posted just this morning. The others a week or two ago.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivor Noel Hume wrote "A Guide to Artifacts of Colonial America"

This is a pretty good reference for dating common items.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread