Ideas anyone?

sthrngold07

Sep 11, 2007
I'm going to attempt to build an underwater devise to help me in a search to find a vessel(ship?) that sank years ago.My question is this...What type of lighting will work the best for me?I'm going to have cameras inside the devise and it'll prob. be boat-towed or remote controlled possibly.The place I believe through researching,it's in a river and the depth I'm still unsure of,I'm going to say is probably 60-100ft. deep and will be murky/muddy waters.I'm just needing advise on what type lights will be the best for getting the best video-type pictures.?.I hope this makes some understandable since and ANY kinda ideas,info,and or help would be much appreciated!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Muddy, murky water? It doesn't sound like using a camera is going to be a good option unless you have some clearer water to work with. I can speak from experience with this. I live in Beaufort, SC and the rivers here are dark and murky and at best we get 1-2' of vis. Maybe a little more in the winter. I understand you are in the upstate of SC right?

I have an ROV with lights and camera and believe me, you cant see crap if there is no vis.

Would a sidescan or magnetometer not be a better choice to help pinpoint your tragets?

Robert

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahoy!!!

I remember last year when I helped Jason to replace the prop of our boat in the marina where the water is murky. The prop is what? maybe only 18 inches below the surface. I had a big a$$ flash light and still I only had about 4 inches of vis.
In my humble opinion I don't believe towing an ROV is the best way to find a target in murky, muddy waters. I would take Rob's and Don's advice and use a mag to find the target and if the target is buried under the mud which chances are then use a sub-bottom profiler to figure out how deep it is.

All the best,

Chagy......

theGOLD

Dec 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher 8x
Is it a large target? Wood or metal hull? Do you know the length of the ship you are looking for? Do you know if the bottom is silt? I agree with the others here and would say that if you have a large target especially metal a mag is by far your best bet. Side scan could be very effective if your looking for a large target that may be protruding from the river bed.

-Gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread