Copper coin from Ole Grubstakes shipwreck, value? Name of wreck?

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

Attachments

• 1600\'s 005.JPG
    1600\'s 005.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 396
  • 1600\'s 004.JPG
    1600\'s 004.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 395
OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Re: Copper coin from Ole Grubstake's shipwreck, value? Name of wreck?

Im gonna say ebay...take a look at the book he put on the net the pictures and coins, some look they were found twice they appear in other topics about other finds...hmmm

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I have one as well Utah....pretty incredible to hold it and contemplate the history eh? I keep offering to go along with him so he has extra pockets to put things in! lol

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

Cynangyl said:
I have one as well Utah....pretty incredible to hold it and contemplate the history eh? I keep offering to go along with him so he has extra pockets to put things in! lol

They are amazing in person. I have been looking for the exact variety on the web, but can't find one that has the lion with such a thick tail and double end of the tail. It looks like it is the 1600's as was labeled on the coin. I also have a gold coin I bought with this one, it is on ebay right now. The gold coin was also found by Grubby I believe, but it was found off the florida coast. My username is ryansgems if you want to check it out.
I bought the coins from a tnet member as part of a $1500 coin lot, that is why I didn't have more info on the coins. I buy to sell, but if this coin isn't worth much I would rather keep it.
I think anyone would LOVE to hold Grubby's finds, when he was on tnet I had a major drooling problem...

mnm

May 17, 2006

A gift is priceless if you ask me ...

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is how I feel about mine. It was a gift to me and it is a very treasured gift as well. I keep it with the certificate that he sent with it and also have a signed copy of his book with it. Priceless indeed!

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

mnm said:
A gift is priceless if you ask me ...
Mine was in a large lot I paid for, I am sure it would mean more to me if it was a gift from Grubby himself.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005

I might have known at some stage, but what's the name of Grubby's book?

Mariner

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I have "Treasure Hunting with Metal Detectors" but I do recall last winter he was working on a prospecting one....told him I wanted one of those too! lol I love books and having ones from people I actually feel I know to some degree makes it all the more a treasure to me.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

utah hunter said:
Cynangyl said:

They are amazing in person. I have been looking for the exact variety on the web, but can't find one that has the lion with such a thick tail and double end of the tail. It looks like it is the 1600's as was labeled on the coin. I also have a gold coin I bought with this one, it is on ebay right now. The gold coin was also found by Grubby, but it was found off the florida coast. My username is ryansgems if you want to check it out.
I bought the coins from a tnet member as part of a $1500 coin lot, that is why I didn't have more info on the coins. I buy to sell, but if this coin isn't worth much I would rather keep it.
I think anyone would LOVE to hold Grubby's finds, when he was on tnet I had a major drooling problem...

Utah Hunter, I have corresponded with Grubby in the past about different wrecks. Grubby has never dove off the coast of Florida. Since you bought the coins in a lot, I have a question for you about the gold coin. Is it a 1 escudo ? The reason I ask is that the copper coins that you showed a picture of were donated by Grubby to Peg Leg for his auction for charity. I donated a 1 escudo gold coin that I found on beach in Florida to Peg Leg for the same auction. I went to the Treasure Hunting Expo in Cocoa Beach that Peg Leg put on, but I did not attend the auction or even know if he held one. I believe that it is possible that you bought the coins that we donated. I personally find Grubby to be a stand up guy that has a vast knowledge of gold mining and shipwrecks. I will always cherish the copy of his book that he sent to me and autographed.
I also don't think it's fair some of the other posters to attack him, when he can't defend himself on this forum.

OP
OP
utah hunter

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used

old man said:
Utah Hunter, I have corresponded with Grubby in the past about different wrecks. Grubby has never dove off the coast of Florida. Since you bought the coins in a lot, I have a question for you about the gold coin. Is it a 1 escudo ? The reason I ask is that the copper coins that you showed a picture of were donated by Grubby to Peg Leg for his auction for charity. I donated a 1 escudo gold coin that I found on beach in Florida to Peg Leg for the same auction. I went to the Treasure Hunting Expo in Cocoa Beach that Peg Leg put on, but I did not attend the auction or even know if he held one. I believe that it is possible that you bought the coins that we donated. I personally find Grubby to be a stand up guy that has a vast knowledge of gold mining and shipwrecks. I will always cherish the copy of his book that he sent to me and autographed.

It is a 1/2 escudo according to the diameter. An auction buy would make sense in this case. I am glad you let me know Grubby himself didn't find this one, it was just obtained from him, but now I wonder who did find it. It will be interesting to see the final price. I will probably list the copper as well on ebay. I would try and sell it here on tnet, but I have no idea how much to ask for it. Maybe I will list it in the for sale forum and take offers to get an idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread