Whatever happened to Kip Wagners Treasure Museum

jkasta

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2008
Whatever happened to Kip Wagner's Treasure Museum

Maybe someone can answer a question I have: when I was a kid we moved to Cape Canaveral Florida in 1975 and moved away 5 years later. I remember a museum on the north end of the city on the lagoon side that had Kip Wagner's 1715 treasure finds. I returned to visit CC in the late 80's and noticed the museum was gone. Whatever happened to the museum and it's contents? Friends I was visiting said that the museum had been broken into and robbed of the treasure, but I have my doubts about this story.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

jk

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Whatever happened to Kip Wagner's Treasure Museum

The original building is still there, at the original location. It is now a Fairvilla adult toy store. :o

Attachments

• former Real 8 museum.jpg
    former Real 8 museum.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,409
OP
OP
J

jkasta

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2008

Yes, that is the building, tho somewhat remodeled. when did the museum close and where did the "treasure" go? Was it really a heist? Some articles say there was a fire but obviously the bldg is still there. I remember driving by it when it was operating and there never was much traffic at the site. My guess, too little paying customers to support it.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

I remember that place well. I found this info on the web.

Real Eight began full-time treasure hunting.

After paying the state its share, the rest was divided between the two companies. Wagner and his group built a treasure museum near Cape Canaveral. It was popular, but burned down some years later.

Real Eight eventually sold its holdings, and the group went their separate ways.

Kip "went on to enjoy some of the spin-offs of his fame before he died in the 1970s."

I did here there was a fire but also some things missing. There were alot of rumors about inside jobs and things. But who knows.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Here are 3 articles on C.L. (Kip) Wagner...there were more, but I grabbed the earliest I could find and two others.
Annmarie

Attachments

• 12-13-2008 7-21-12 PM.jpg
    12-13-2008 7-21-12 PM.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,936
  • 12-13-2008 7-29-09 PM.jpg
    12-13-2008 7-29-09 PM.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 1,660
  • 12-13-2008 7-53-35 PM.jpg
    12-13-2008 7-53-35 PM.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 2,345

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The building still stands, but it has not been a museum for many years. Had it been built in Kissimmee near Disney, it would still be in operation today. When I worked for Real 8, they would make me pull weeds at the museum if the boats weren't going out, or Elva Thompson would have me clean coins. When the Vietnam war ended and the Apollo program finished, Cape Canaveral was almost a ghost town and a recession spelled doom for the museum. The museum was only one of several ventures Real 8 got into. Rebikoff submarine systems was one, and they also tried handling high-end commercial diving gear for the Oil Fields. Bob Johnson eventually owned and operated the Indian Harbour Beach Marina, and the other guys already were well retired from NASA and the military. Rex Stocker stayed in the treasure hunting business for many years.

The place was burglarized but it was not an inside job and much was eventually recovered. Believe me, those folks were completely legitimate and had no need to rob themselves. It was a very tight group most of the time.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

signumops said:
The building still stands, but it has not been a museum for many years. Had it been built in Kissimmee near Disney, it would still be in operation today. When I worked for Real 8, they would make me pull weeds at the museum if the boats weren't going out, or Elva Thompson would have me clean coins. When the Vietnam war ended and the Apollo program finished, Cape Canaveral was almost a ghost town and a recession spelled doom for the museum. The museum was only one of several ventures Real 8 got into. Rebikoff submarine systems was one, and they also tried handling high-end commercial diving gear for the Oil Fields. Bob Johnson eventually owned and operated the Indian Harbour Beach Marina, and the other guys already were well retired from NASA and the military. Rex Stocker stayed in the treasure hunting business for many years.

The place was burglarized but it was not an inside job and much was eventually recovered. Believe me, those folks were completely legitimate and had no need to rob themselves. It was a very tight group most of the time.

I was hoping you would chime in. I didn't believe those rumors anyway. That was a great place. I was only a kid that found an old spike on the beach and took it in for their thoughts. I'm not really sure who I talked to but they asked if i would like to donate it. I didn't and my brother sat on it on the way home and broke it in half. guess I should have donated it huh?
Anyway, The 1715 fleet talk was great today and I know a bit more now. Thanks

Dale

P.S. I need one of those books

Starduster

Nov 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real 8 Museum Fate

Maybe someone can answer a question I have: when I was a kid we moved to Cape Canaveral Florida in 1975 and moved away 5 years later. I remember a museum on the north end of the city on the lagoon side that had Kip Wagner's 1715 treasure finds. I returned to visit CC in the late 80's and noticed the museum was gone. Whatever happened to the museum and it's contents? Friends I was visiting said that the museum had been broken into and robbed of the treasure, but I have my doubts about this story.

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

jk

I just moved to Cape Canaveral this year and I'm sorry to report that they just tore down the empty building that was at one time the Real 8 Treasure Museum. As of this post the demolition is still wrapping up. Having seen photos of the interior I'm sorry I never had a chance to visit when it was Kip Wagner's, I was a kid at that time you were here in FL only I was l living in the Philadelphia area and not aware of the Real 8. It will have to live in your memory and in photos now.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was interested to read that "William Phipps [who died in 1695], a British adventurer, recovered $4 million in gold from one of the wrecks in 1717". Likely meaning Henry Jennings who robbed the Spanish salvors of 350k pesos in 1716 (why bother diving when someone has already brought it on shore for you).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread