Dating Ship Wreck Nails

billlybob

Greenie
Dec 21, 2008
Dating Ship Wreck Nails

Does anyone know of a book that can use to help date some nails or spikes from ship wrecks? There appears to be a lot of different types (square, round …etc) made of different material (iron, brass, bronze, copper). I think it would be really cool to be able to date them.

I saw a page of a book that can be used to date cannons and I expect there is something out there on the types of nails/spikes that were used on different ships during different periods in time.

Thanks

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Round head with round shaft usually older pre 18th C then square head square shaft from mid 18th through modern times, thats my best understanding, there are some variations and iron spikes lean towards old vessels, again not always, youre right on the book, however I dont think there are too many exact references, I may be wrong. GFH

Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a book called Ships' Fastenings from sewn boat to steamship by Michael McCarthy. It is the best I've seen on the subject. It has about 200 pages of sketches and information about nails, spikes, sheathing, etc....Lots of info to help date a wreck.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've gotta spike I've been trying to identify. Spikes are sized/graded differently than nails. I've worked with antique cut nails in Savannah, and ship spikes are quite different.

OP
OP
B

billlybob

Greenie
Dec 21, 2008
billinstuart said:
I've gotta spike I've been trying to identify. Spikes are sized/graded differently than nails. I've worked with antique cut nails in Savannah, and ship spikes are quite different.

Let me know if you have any good references. Thanks

bantfarm

Jan 31, 2011
me know if you have any good references. Thanks

Did you ever find "pictures" or any more information about these nails?...I have a rather large "spike" we found. Square body, round top. We found it in the great lakes of MI, while snorkeling...I have searched and found nothing about it..or anything that resembles it..

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ship builders used round and square bronze spikes and nails from the Roman days until the 19th century.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest a nice day at the park with a light picnic and maybe a matinee afterwards.

I’m so sorry, I just couldn’t resist!!
:laughing9:

shipluvr

Greenie
Feb 19, 2011
My first thought when I read the title of this thread was, "Why would anyone want to go out with a shipwreck nail?"

OK, I really didn't get enough sleep last night.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bantfarm said:
me know if you have any good references. Thanks

Did you ever find "pictures" or any more information about these nails?...I have a rather large "spike" we found. Square body, round top. We found it in the great lakes of MI, while snorkeling...I have searched and found nothing about it..or anything that resembles it..

i also found a square nail and what appears to be roundish head, it's possibly what they call a "rose head boat nail" ,this one is 110x7mm very approximately, hard to tell for the rust, from the Miami River. I understand these are still used to build "clinker" aka lapstrake type wooden boats. I know of one company in Scotland still making them. They recommend them for docks and wooden structures in water, gates, etc. as well, since the square nail grips better as the wood swells, it is said.

The historical museum in miami has a large one on display from a spanish galleon, if i recall rightly.

http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/Boats.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread