Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2007
    Florida
    Aque Pulse
    73 times

Shadow Divers - Shadow Divers Revealed

How many of you out there have read Shadow Divers! The book was about the discovery of the German U-Boat U-869 off the coast of New Jersey. I thought it was a real page turner...well I just got a book yesterday that blows it out of the water (no pun intended) Shadow Divers Revealed by Gary Gentile. Apparently Shadow Divers was a bunch of exaggerations, half truths and out right lies about many of the incidents described in Shadow Divers, even though it purportedly to be a work of non-fiction. Chatterton and Kohler took a lot of credit for things done by others and many other things were full blown lies. Gentile's book sets forth to sent the record straight.

Just curious how many of you have read...enjoyed Shadow Divers and how many have read Shadow Divers Explosed, or plan on reading it.

Galleon Hunter

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3329 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Re: Shadow Divers - Shadow Divers Revealed

so its a work of faction (fiction based upon using fact but twisted from reality to make the writer seem better , wizer or having more to do with it than they did -- faction type books are far more common than folks think ) sometimes in the past (today too) adventure type folks used "ghost writers" since their writing skills were not that good ----- and often folks who wrote those books in the past don't get "called" on it -- like they do today)

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2005
    south charleston, wv
    White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker ADS
    133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Hunter
    How many of you out there have read Shadow Divers! The book was about the discovery of the German U-Boat U-869 off the coast of New Jersey. I thought it was a real page turner...well I just got a book yesterday that blows it out of the water (no pun intended) Shadow Divers Revealed by Gary Gentile. Apparently Shadow Divers was a bunch of exaggerations, half truths and out right lies about many of the incidents described in Shadow Divers, even though it purportedly to be a work of non-fiction. Chatterton and Kohler took a lot of credit for things done by others and many other things were full blown lies. Gentile's book sets forth to sent the record straight.

Just curious how many of you have read...enjoyed Shadow Divers and how many have read Shadow Divers Explosed, or plan on reading it.

Galleon Hunter
    I've studied both, and have shared emails with some of the key divers discussed, and and some that were ignored.

I agree with your assessment.

I would have no problem if Shadow Divers was categorized as Fiction.

Gentile's Shadow Divers Exposed blows the lid off the claim of non-fiction.
    The alchemists in their search for gold discovered many other things of greater value.
    Ex animo

us
    Dec 2008
    BH Quicksilver

I started the book (I have both print and audiobook). Looks like a good one! And a true story, too.

--
    Matthew
    Brownwood, TX
    Matthew
    Brownwood, Texas

"Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus, and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average." -- John Chatterton.

au
    Sep 2005
    Australia
    Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Interesting, when did Shadow Divers Exposed come out?
    I've read Shadow Divers and enjoyed it a lot.
    “Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates” - Mark Twain 1835-1910

us
    Sep 2004
    Down South - Marietta, GA
    Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
    6 times

You might read all the glowing (not) reviews on Amazon before you rush out and get this. If you liked the book then post something there in its defense. Don't flame me, I've not read it yet. I'll probably read eventually it to see what all the fuss is about, but I've got a stack of much more meaninful read right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-.../dp/1883056241

Stan

us
    Nov 2008
    1 times

I plan on reading Gary's book.....His other books are certainly worth reading and factual. I am certain he did his homework, but the truth is not always popular or prefered....

us
    Mar 2009

Bummer, I really enjoyed that book too.LOL

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links