I need some historical help

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Island of Anglesey Wales UK
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Guys, I am new to the forum having hung round for a few months I thought I should join you all. I dive out of North wales in the UK.

I've been wreck diving for 20 or so years and have started to look for new wrecks in my area using a Hummin bird side scan and I am having some good results, we have a lot to check out in the summer.

Whilst the seas are rough I have been doing some other research but have hit a wall.

I need information about "Nuestra Senora de burgos" A 15TH Century merchant man. I cannot find any mention of the ship in my local historical archives.

It was allegedly wrecked in 1467

In a perfect world I would like to confirm its existence and get hold of its manifest if that is possible on a ship of that age

Can anybody help?

Mark

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have tried researching the Archives of the Indies?

OP
OP
divermark

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
sphillips said:
Have tried researching the Archives of the Indies?

Thank you for the response, but am I right in thinking the archive starts with the 16th Century, I am in the 15th.

Other information I have is that the ship sailed from San Sebastian

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are correct about the 16th century being the earliest in the archives.

OP
OP
divermark

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre said:
divermark said:
sphillips said:
I think you are correct about the 16th century being the earliest in the archives.

so you see my problem, all I have is local rumours

Very precise, those rumours: a name, a place of departure and a year..

Thats right they come from local church and maritime archives, some of the survivors even came ashore on my property. But uk salvage law says I have to prove the wreck is what I think it is, which is were I have hit a wall.

OP
OP
divermark

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mackaydon said:
The Archives Document Information Centre and the Minister of Culture office may be one place to check.
http://en.www.mcu.es/principal/servicios.html

There were archives located at Simancas and Cádiz before the Archives of the Indies that may have housed the information you seek.

Thank you very much, I will keep you informed on how it plays out.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello divemark and Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all my Tnet friends!!!

As far as I know the archives in Simancas go back to 1430 or even earlier dates...
You may want to check out “Direccion de Hidrografia”. Colec. Sans de Barutell, Simancas….also Colec. Vargas Ponce, also Colec. Tomas Gonzales….also Navarrete, Colec. De Viajes

Divemark,

Did this vessel go down in a battle with the French?

I will see what else I can find for you…

Good Luck,

Chagy……

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Though the Archives of the Indies was not yet constructed at the time of your event, they may hold--or know where the records are that you seek.

I don't know their Email address but one phone number is +34 954211234

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great amounts of information was gathered in Spain from libraries, archives, antique books and manuscripts from all over Europe and even from the big houses in Spain like the ones from Infantado, Alba, Medisiodonia and Santa Cruz los Alfereces de Fragata D. Martin Fernabdez Fernandez de Navarreate, D Jose de Vargas Ponce y D. Juan Sanz de Barutell, whom created excellent collections of copies of documents that can be found today in Museo Naval more documents can be found in la Academia de Guardias Marinas and in the Deposito de Hidrografico other collections were added such as the ones from the Comisionarios Enriquez and Zalvide and others like Captain D. Pedro de Leiva….

I hope this helps…..If you give me more information I might be able to find more…

OP
OP
divermark

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks guys, your help is so welcome, from the little info I have, it went down in a storm, the location is the irish sea, would the french be up that far?
It looks like I will be busy over the coming months.

any additional ideas would be a great help

obviously I keep you all updated

mark

OP
OP
divermark

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
divermark said:
Thanks guys, your help is so welcome, from the little info I have, it went down in a storm, the location is the irish sea, would the french be up that far?
It looks like I will be busy over the coming months.

any additional ideas would be a great help

obviously I will keep you all updated

mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions