British LCM MK1

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Anyone out there have a copy of Jane's for WWII? Have ordered a copy of the book online, but was wondering if anyone here has a copy and can send me the information on the LCM MK-1 that would be listed in the book. Mail here typically takes 3-4 weeks to get if it isn't stolen in the APO (Army Postal Office) system, which does happen from time-to-time.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated,
Mike

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Narked1 said:
This post is more about the MAHS course than the LCM that I am researching.

I somehow missed this earlier post, Mike. Thanks for the update - very helpful.

Darren

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Another update on the project here. Things are moving forward on conducting a pre-disturbance survey here as part of the MAHS course. The board at MAHS approved my plans to conduct the survey as the Field School segment of their training upon completion of the videotape sessions and completion and submission of the essay exam and other documentation. An initial site inspection is currently scheduled to be conducted 26-29 May to see what the condition of the wreck is (It's been 1 1/2 years since I have dove on the wrecksite), practice some of the basic skills that the MAHS videos demonstrate, take some initial measurements, take pictures and video of the site, and practice drawing the wrecksite. The actual pre-disturbance survey is not scheduled to be conducted until August or September of this year after all of the paperwork has been completed. All of the equipment for conducting the survey has been purchased or manufactured and am ready to go.

Now, I know that there isn't treasure to be found here, but I do see something missing from this forum (which is a wealth of information and resources BTW). And that is, I don't see anyone posting projects that are in-progress, ongoing, or completed. So, that is why I continued to post what I am working on here. Maybe someone else can learn from my mistakes, or from all or you inputs to me.

Another update with pics coming in a few weeks.
Mike

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Re: British LCM MK1 (Final Post)

Putting an end to this thread here. Started this thread as a result of attending the MAHS (Marine Archeaological History Society) course that was recommended under the "Virginia Gold" thread. The course is good and well worth taking for anyone interested in underwater archeaology. Completed the first part of the course (videos, book, and test), and have been unable to complete the second part of the course (underwater pre-disturbance wreck survey) due to governmental restrictions here in Egypt. Applied, and paid for, the permits to conduct the survey on the LCM wrecksite. After waiting months and months, was informed this week that the wrecksite is off-limits to diving due to the possiblity of unexploded ordnance in the area. Hence, I cannot move forward in attempting to identify this Landing Craft. One of the requirements that I was given by MAHS in order to do an independent survey outside of an organized dive arranged by them, since I live outside of the US, was that I had to acquire to proper permits. This was an exercise in dealing with governmental bodies in order to gain access to the wrecksite. That, in itself, was an educational process.

Concerning the MAHS course, I strongly recommend it for anyone that wreck dives. It provides a better understanding of the environment that we dive in (wrecks) and the implications of destroying potentially historic artifacts by removing them, damaging them in passing, etc.

In the meantime, I have another wrecksite that I will be working here in order to complete the requirements of the MAHS course. Small WW2 Italian fighter-bomber located in the Alexandria Bay which is adjacent to the remains of the Cleopatra Palace site. Planning to do the pre-disturbance survey in the first week of January.

To those of you that expressed interest in what I was attempting to do here....I thank you. If anyone is interested to see pics of the survey, let me know and I will post pics under a new thread.

Mike

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, I just wanted to tell you I enjoyed this thread quite a bit. My dad was an engineer in WWII and served in north Africa and also fought at Anzio and marched up Italy to Rome. He rode in an LCM. This thread allowed us to sit down and talk and for me to record some of his memories for posterity. If anyone is interested, I will post a short story of his encounter with Gen Patton when my dad was a private driving an amphibious vehicle.

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
gdaddy,
Thanks for the kind words. Although I didn't actually get to do the survey on the site that I'd hoped too (but am still pursuing it through other legal means), it's nice to know that it served as a catalyst for you and your father to discuss his adventures as a young man serving in the military. That's just as equally gratifying to me that you had the chance to do that. Never had a real opportunity to discuss my father's time in the service with him (late Korean War period). Just goes to show how one person's dreams or ideas can affect other people's lives. Would definitely be interested in hearing you father's story.

Mike

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Mike,

I have followed this thread with interest, but have not had anything worthwhile to add to your efforts, so far. However, I think it is great that you are pursuing this interest, because I think it would be a comfort to some of the families if the actual vessel could be identified. Also because it is nice to see history pursued for the sake of history and not just gain.

Tom,

I do not know which is the right forum, but I would be interested to read of your father's encounter with Patton. During WWI, my wife's grandfather took part in the Gallipoli campaign. In one day his ship was sunk, he was rescued by a second ship, which was sunk, he was rescued by a third, and this too was sunk. He was picked up again and made it to the beaches where he caught several pieces of shrapnel in his face. That day earned him the nickname of "Unsinkable Eddie". Years ago, by great coincidence, I came across a photograph of his first ship, HMS Irresistable, smoking away just before actually starting to go down, and we had a painting made from it. We encouraged Eddie to write down the story of his military career, and he donated the hand-written notes to the War Museum in Leeds, England.

Mariner

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's great stuff Tom, thanks for sharing it with us. We should have a thread for stories such as this one. With most of us being history buffs of some sort, I think most of us would be interested in these type stories.

Thanks again,

Jason

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Loved it, Tom! General Patton is one of my heroes, but all of us need a humility check every now and then ;)

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too cool Tom, thanks for sharing that one with us.

mariner

Apr 4, 2005
Tom,

Great story. Actually it shows Patton in a better light than most stories about him.

Thanks.

Mariner

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Tom,
Thanks for the story. Really cool. Having served in the navy mayself (retired in '97), I can relate to your father's story. I've seen the same type of thing happen (and participated in) to CO's and XO's of various ships that I served on over the years. We sailors can be vindictive bunch of B-sturds (intentional mis-spelling....i.e the "turds" spelling) if given the chance! ;D

Loved your father's story, and I agree with Scuba Finder, we should have a seperate thread/category for old tales and stories from those of us that want to share some really special historically related experiences. Whether from each of us, our fathers or mother's experiences. Either from first, second, or third-hand information. Real life historical experiences. (I, myself, am too young to contribute to something like this other than having been in Grenada invasion, living in Central Ameraca, Northern Germany, and being involved in Desert Shield/Storm). Just thinking that Scuba Finder's idea has merit.

On this note.....for the Webmasters (i.e. you internet gods that control what we see here :P), Might be worth considering putting up a section where people can post a family history, general questions, anything they want. Along the sort of "Blog" thing (which I really dislike because usually only one person controls the Blog). If this sight had a more "generic" category where anybody could ask anything, then those of us could direct them to the approriiate forums to ask their questions. Hmmmm.....could this be a bit like "Directory Assistance"? ;D This is first and foremost a TH-ing site, however, there is a lot of value in the commonality of all that visit this site....we all want to find something. Whether it is treasure (which would be ideal), information sharing (which has been pretty cool....as far as it goes...understandably), research resources (Great info from everybody), or to just share an adventure (i.e. Santo Domingo and Jupiter.....Loved all of that!)

Just a thought, and just expounding on Scuba Finder's idea

(Oh, and whoever is the moderater that sees this first.....I want to kill off the LCM chain since it is no longer applicable to anything that I'm doing. Rename it, if worthy, "Our History", or something. Don't want to "Clog the Blog" so-to-speak. We need to move on.....

Mike

OP
OP
Narked1

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
Thought this was a dead topic but it looks like it has been revived. Am reviving this topic for a couple of reasons. First is that I was saddened by Cornelius' post indicating that he is leaving the forum (CHANGE YOUR MIND! :) , and second to get back to shipwrecks.

I was just informed today that I may have the Egyptian permits to dive on the wreck sometime in the next few weeks. Although they were originally disapproved by the Ministry of Defense, I later found out that the real reason that the permits were disapproved was because I was not dive certified under the Egyptian Diving Federation (EDF) system and not a professional diver. Under this system, which is mandated by the Ministry of Tourism, and to which Egyptian military divers are certified at the entry level, they only recognize CMAS certifications (I'm PADI and TDI) if you are a member of the EDF. So, in order to obtain the CMAS certification one has to take the EDF dive course. After reviewing my PADI/TDI certs and dive logs, the EDF basically informed me that I could just pay the cost of the course without actually taking them and they would convert my certs over to CMAS. Came out with a CMAS 1-star instructor certification. Legal? Well let's just say that it's not illegal here. Ethical? Well that's a culturally relative term. What's ethically unacceptable in one culture may be ethically acceptable in another culture (which it appears to be here). Sigh......when in Rome.....etc.

From there it was back to the Coast Guard office (Ministry of Defense) and VOILA! Government stamps of approval (literally stamps which one has to pay for). Only hurdle remaining is the final approval from the MOD office in Cairo, which I am told is only a formality once approval is granted by the office on the North Coast.

This if my first time in dealing with a government in order to gain access to a wreck site. I now have a greater empathy for all of you that have posted about how difficult it is to get permits to dive a wreck. And I'm just trying to do a pre-disturbance survey, not even an excavation!

Oh! Forgot to mention the part about not being a professional diver. I have been taken on by a fledgling dive center as an employee (in name only) so that it appears that I work for a licensed dive center. The dive center here in Alexandria hasn't opened yet but will be part of a licensed diving operation currently operating in the Red Sea. I know this may sound like an advertisement, but you can find out about the future dive center at "www.saharaadventure.com". Based out of a family owned and operated hotel. It's where I spent most of this past summer with a PADI instructor teaching kids diving awareness in the hotel pool for free. Now THAT was a treasure to do! :) Oh, and it got us free beer at the end of the day ;D

So, I guess this post was not necessarily about shipwrecks. It was more about the beauracy that I have had to go through in order to get out to dive on a shipwreck. More posts to follow as things move forward.

Mike

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cool, Mike! It's good to hear from you again. Thanks fo the update, bro!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread