Jade Beach Wreck

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, yes those are two different wrecks.

From the Vone Research website:

4) The Jade Beach Wreck, near Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, no datable material found

You may try to contact Steve Attis for more information.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
The "Jade Beach Wreck" lies just north of the Sea Watch Restaurant off the Jade Beach condo. Always wondered if jade was found in this area to give it the name.
A local diver Tom Holland found the wreck many years ago (60's) and recovered bronze spikes and found a ballast pile. Another diver found a spike off this wreck with the name "Birmingham" on it so it's probably a British ship. John Brandon also worked on this wreck years ago and ID'd it as a nineteenth century wreck.
I've searched the area years ago and I didn't find anything, though this was after beach re-nourishment started, and much is probably buried under the beach now. There were many Mag-hits in this area that were never excavated. Go a little further south and you'll find lots of 50 caliber bullets from WWII as the wreck of the Copenhagen lies just offshore and was used as target practice.
As far as the Tifton goes, I believe we found that wreck a few years ago and it lies off Boca.
Source: Shipwrecks of Broward County by Singer & Dean

OP
OP
barney

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Thanks for the info!
Isn't the Jade Beach condo off Sunny Isles to the south though?
Cheers,
Mike

SteveS said:
The "Jade Beach Wreck" lies just north of the Sea Watch Restaurant off the Jade Beach condo. Always wondered if jade was found in this area to give it the name.
A local diver Tom Holland found the wreck many years ago (60's) and recovered bronze spikes and found a ballast pile. Another diver found a spike off this wreck with the name "Birmingham" on it so it's probably a British ship. John Brandon also worked on this wreck years ago and ID'd it as a nineteenth century wreck.
I've searched the area years ago and I didn't find anything, though this was after beach re-nourishment started, and much is probably buried under the beach now. There were many Mag-hits in this area that were never excavated. Go a little further south and you'll find lots of 50 caliber bullets from WWII as the wreck of the Copenhagen lies just offshore and was used as target practice.
As far as the Tifton goes, I believe we found that wreck a few years ago and it lies off Boca.
Source: Shipwrecks of Broward County by Singer & Dean

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Steve, is the "Jade Beach" wreck and the SS Copenhagen one and the same?

There are described as being located in the same area and both are 19th century British ships.

The SS Copenhagen rests on the ledge of a reef in 16-31 ft. of water with its bow facing south and is located ¾ of a nautical mile offshore of Pompano Beach, south of Hillsboro Inlet. No anchoring is allowed at the wreck site but mooring buoys have been placed nearby.

Tom

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Mike-the Jade Beach condo is a few buildings north of the Sea Watch Restaurant and has always been painted "Jade Green", so it's easy to spot.
Tom-the Jade Beach wreck is not part of the Copenhagen which was a steamship that wrecked in 1900. I I'D that wreck back in the 80's and even found all the original plans for it it England and eventually worked with MAC and the State to have it become a park.
I believe much of the wreck was salvaged for steel back during WWII, as steel was scarce. The whole bow from the Copenhagen lies about a half mile SE of the main wreck in about 30' of water in sand and is a cool dive by iteself-it was only found a few years ago. Some large nurse sharks like to hang out there. I think the bow was probably being towed to the Port Everglades inlet to be scrapped and probably sunk there while doing so. The rest of the wreck was used as target practice by the fighter planes who trained out of Ft.Lauderdale including George Busch senior who trained there.
The Jade Beach wreck was a sailing ship which probably wrecked mid to later 1800's. There was more wreckage visable before beach
restoration took place and another ballast pile was found directly off the Sea Watch but is buried under the beach now. Before beach restoration took place off this area, there were patch reefs off the original beaches and I'd get lobster there all the time-all this is now buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread