Nova Scotia Shipwrecks- Sable/Seal Island

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greetings all!

My name is Andrew, and I am 18 years old and from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have been interested in metal detecting for quite some time, even though my hometown is FAR from the ideal place to detect (first founded in 1873.) Basically it was only used as a fur trading post, so any chance of "Treasure" is basically nil.

The reason I have posted this in the Shipwreck section is as follows:

I am currently attending school in Victoria, British Columbia (Southern Vancouver Island), and was wondering about any possible shipwrecks/good beach detecting areas nearby. In Canada it is illegal to salvage directly from a wreck, however to my knowledge detecting along the beach is perfectly legal.

BUT, it gets better...

My main reason for posting this, is because this upcoming summer I am planning to visit family on Cape Sable Island, a small island off the southern coast of Nova Scotia. Cape Sable Island, along with nearby Cape Sable, Seal Island, and Sable Island (off limits to anyone) have, combined, wrecked literally hundreds of ships over the past few hundred years, and are referred to many as the "Graveyard of the Atlantic." I'd love to hear any advice that you experts would have with regards to the area, and beach detecting in general.

As much as I'd LOVE to go detecting underwater, I just don't have the financial capital or the contacts to do so. Plus the water would be much too cold without a drysuit or something of the sort. I'd absolutely love to detect underwater someday, its one of my dreams, but for now I think finances will keep me confined to land :(

Anyway, that's enough about me. I look forward to hearing your advice!

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Andrew:

Welcome to Treasurenet! Get the best metal detector you can afford and set it to "all metal". Search a beach where your folks know of a shipwreck just offshore. Good luck & Happy Hunting.

Chip V.

P.S. Perhaps you can get in some practice before you leave Vancouver.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Narrative of the loss of the tribune frigate, on Thursday the 23d of Nov. 1797, at the entrance of Halifax harbour, in Nova Scotia. [electronic resource] : With a circumstantial account of the meloncholy catastrophe, which befel the crew of that unfortunate ship, twelve only being saved out of 240, besides several Gentleman who had gone on board to render their assistance, when the tribune first struck the thrum-cap shoals, after experiencing every hardship human nature was able to endure.
Pub Year: 1798

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions