Shipwreck Research

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
I was wondering if anyone had information on gaining access to old insurance company records (if it's even possible). Insurance records would be extremely helpful in determining cargo for many of the thousands of wrecks that sunk off of the East Coast. Many of the wrecks that I am interested in sank in the early to mid 1800's. Very difficult to find information on these wrecks...

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the united states coast guard has a huge list of shipwrecks, lloyds of london has records going that far back but be prepared to pay handsomely for them. there is a book online , marine risk distribution in scotland before 1800, you might find some insurers listed in it.

my uncle worked for an insurance firm that did this but they were formed in the early 1900's.

good luck.

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
Thanks. I've explored CG records already. Mostly interested in cargo manifests for the wrecked vessels.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
If these wrecks are of ships that crossed the pond from Europe, I'd say it would be a fair bet that Lloyd's Register of Shipping would have a record - especially considering you're talking mid-19th century.

The British National Archives, has a collection of Lloyd's Register from 1832 onward. My be worth starting there http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk . I'm pretty sure that you cannot actually get the specific information you want on the web page, but if you find the reference you're looking for, they can create a digital copy for you for around $13.

Pcolaboy

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I recently read of a "Wrecks of the World Conference" that had been held on the eastern seaboard some time ago.
The story was in regards to the Montebello, an oil tanker that was torpedoed just off the Pacific coast during WWII.
Perhaps a search of that might be of help ?

Good luck
rmptr

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
loylds of london -- was and is the the major shipping insurer --they have records of loss --that is what your seeking

OP
OP
Whittman

Whittman

Oct 4, 2005
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers
I was referring to the Life Saving Station records which can be found in the National Archives. The records that I was interested in were in NYC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread