Which Shipwreck Database to invest in?

Spirit29

Jan 25, 2006
Dear All,

I find two shipwreck databases for sale. The "International Registry of..." and the "Northern Maritime Research" database. Any thoughts as to which database has more data, accuracy etc. I am specifically looking at shipwrecks within the US coastal north Atlantic.

Are there any other databases that would be helpful? I realize there is a cost associated with these databases. Are there other reliable references that I should be looking for as an overview.

I am basically looking for a "catalog" of known and missing shipwrecks in coastal waters.

Thank you,

Dave--

OP
OP
S

Spirit29

Jan 25, 2006
Cornelius,

I have been diving offshore NC for years. It is estimated that there are probably close to 3000 shipwrecks in NC waters. As a winter project I have been researching the unknown or esoteric wrecks. Frankly, the amount of information and mis-information is mindboggeling. I have decided to take a slightly different approach in comparing several databases with information that I already have. My basic objective is to define high probability search quadrants based on shipwrecks that are still considered missing and known offshore wrecks that have not been identified. Of course I need good and reliable references which is why I posted my question.

Perhaps much of this work has already been done but in my experience so far, the folks that do it seriously keep the information close to their chest. All we know is that there is much yet to explore in these waters.

Thank you,

Dave--

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, First I would like to welcome you to TreasureNet, and the shipwreck forum. I must agree with Cornelius on this matter, as there are a handful of folks that make a living selling database information on shipwrecks all over the world. The majority of this information is readily available on line for free; all you have to do is a little research starting with the library. I would also recommend some additional reading in the form of some books. One of the first books I purchased was ?The Treasure Diver?s Guide? by John S. Potter. The second book was ?Shipwrecks of Florida? by Steven D. Singer. I would bet that you may be able to find local books that are specific to your location.
All of these books and so many more are loaded with basic information about many shipwrecks. In addition you will find references too, for example did you know that the US Coast Guard maintains a couple of databases of shipwrecks that is public information? Additionally, there are many maritime museums that will be glad to help if you know the name of the wreck you are looking for. (Don?t tell them you are a treasure hunter, just an armature archaeologist).
If I took a list of wrecks that I purchased on line to a group of investors to assist in funding a search, I would walk away broke. Investors are not interested in second hand information, and nor should you be. What you need is hard evidence that will get you close to the ship (Target), you are looking for. Good research can be done with very little cost over time, and will save big bucks if you are able to limit the size of your search zone. Trust me, dragging one to three magnetometers behind my boat will coast me roughly $75.00 to $100.00 per hour to operate, that is just the cost to run the boat and does not include the cost of the magnetometers or any other cost associated with the search.
Stick around TreasureNet, and I know a hand full of ship wreckers operate up near you, and many of them frequent this site.

HH

Q

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Dave, I have the "International Registry" database for Florida and it is useless! I also bought the Northern Maratime Research CD and it is less than useless. This one gives very inaccurate locations such as "somewhere in the western hemmisphere".

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also have the Northern Maritime Research CD, and I agree that it is very general. But it did allow me to scroll through cargo and locations to narrow down my list of ships to pursue. From there, it's pretty much up to your personal determination in researching more accurate documentation...isn't it always? ;)

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Actually, being a researcher myself, I'd disagree with the people here telling you not to purchase the data base because either way you look at it you will need some kind of starting point when doing shipwreck research. Whether your starting point be a cabinet full of maritime/shipwreck books or a shipwreck data base you will still need that to at least get yourself started on doing some serious research on one or several wrecks that you find interesting there initially.

Just imagine if you went to a library to search through the TONS of microfilm searching for wrecks without so much as even a starting point now THAT would be like blind pot-luck searching. Well if you've got plenty of free time on your hands and want to take this approach then its up to you but for me my time is a bit more limited.

On the other hand, imagine that you at least had a ships name and a particular date (example; June 18, 1855) well then you're already cooking with grease because you could pretty much dive straight into it! You already know exactly which microfilm to ask the librarian for and everything for that particular wreck.

Of course, while searching through that particular microfilm (which has June 18, 1855 included in it) you should look very carefully at this entire microfilm because there's a pretty good chance that you may chance upon some other interesting wrecks listed there.

So, in the end, what I'm trying to say here is that the numerous general shipwreck books and data bases are great for GENERAL STARTING info only. Don't expect to purchase these and to then go out and mount an expedition and actually find any shipwrecks with this info alone. But, from there at least you've got a great starting point to go out and really get your nose into the old library microfilms and old books to get your real good shipwreck research done properly.

That's my two cents worth. Have a good one guys!

Tony Wells

Attachments

• bokseawk.jpg
    bokseawk.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 314
  • bokseawk.jpg
    bokseawk.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 315

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excuse me, Cornelius, but those questions were already answered in my post. Please re-read it because I said don't expect to go out and recover any shipwreck just from the info you find in these books and/or data bases (I'm not a hyprocrit, so that, of course, includes MY OWN BOOK). Those are just starting points and you will definitely need to go out and do some serious research..

Yes, we searched the old kingdom of Aru from Tamiang river all the way up to Pasay - in Lhoksemawe, Banda Aceh (over 60 miles of coast) for the Flor do Mar but DID NOT FIND THIS WRECK. Even if the grand master himself, Mr. Robert Marx, is going around telling the world that we located and recoverd artifacts from the Flor I can assure you we did not.

As for the 450 wrecks in my book, those are all REAL WRECKS with LEADS ONLY (as I've already stated as such). Of those 450 I would only consider about 10 or 20 being worth any monetatary value (from a salvage point of view) and these need TONS of further serious research if anyone were to consider going after them. Unfortunately, I have been busy with my other (real) business lately so haven't had time to pursue any of them.

I hope we are all clear on this subject now. Cornelius, I won't bother to ask you what wrecks you have found because its none of my business. I'm sure you're a good researcher regardless.

Cheers to all.
Tony Wells
PS: Please let me clarify what I mean by STARTING POINT as follows; A NAME and/or SINKING DATE of ANY sunken ship. That's it and I thought it was very simple to see what I'm trying to say here folks. Thanks!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tony, thanks for your post. Very interesting. Cornelius means no harm - he ticks off a lot of people with his bluntness, but if you can get past it, you'll find a mutual learning experience with him ;)

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You are blunt, Cornelius :) Anyone who's a regular on this forum knows that. You say things regularly to perfect strangers that puts them on the defense. I used to get aggravated when I saw you do it. Now I could care less because I appreciate your input more. You see the world one way and I see it another (remember you march to another drummer). But that doesn't mean we can't help each other. You have been a wonderful help to so many on this forum - far more than I ever have. So over time, I've grown to trust your intent in spite of your bluntness. Who cares if we're different? Variety is the spice of life!

As far as those selling an item, I agree that we should be cautious. But not all salesmen are selling snake oil. Many have very helpful products and we should be willing to pay for the hard work invested as such.

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is not my intent to try and push my book sales here. Not only that, it seems that most people posting here are American based so would therefore be more interested in US based shipwrecks - which my book has nothing to do with.

I'm just trying to post my views and have a good time here on these forums. Maybe even meet some new friends - who knows?

Cornelius, like the other poster just said, you're pretty blunt and some new posters may get offended. Some people may not even post out of fear that someone is just waiting to 'hammer them to the ground' if they didn't like something about their post. Actually, I don't post much anywhere on the net because of these reasons. I have better things to do - like spending time playing with my son and daughter - rather then getting into any silly arguments here on these forums.

Have a good one people! c",)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions