Short Article Re: Captain Herndon SS Central America

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Land-Sea,

Very interesting, because as you said, most or all accounts have him going down with the ship.? When did the tradition of a "Captain going down with the ship" begin?? Maybe he felt he had done everthing he could.? All of the women and children had been rescued and only the men and crew were still aboard.?

I find this account vey believable.

Neat site by the way!

Robert in SC

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the middle of "Ship of Gold" by Gary Kinder, in which many of the men lasted until morning with the help of flotsam. Obviously, some lived to tell the story and a few survived with the women hours before the ship broke up.

There is no record of the survivors in this book (yet), but Capt. Herndon did NOT go down with the ship but swam with the men thru the night.
Good book.

OP
OP
L

Land-Sea

Jan 27, 2006
High Desert of California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ship of gold is quite good, also check out Americas Lost Treasure. If you have interest in the Central America and want to take it a step further....If you can find it that is...The Ohio Journal of Science Vol 95 No 1 March 1995 has over 200 pages on the science portion of the expedition which was very extensive.

Robert,glad you liked the site. In those Sailor magazines there are lists of disasters for the month, death of seamen, and in some are lists of traveling libraries. Do you think these would be a good thing to post on the website? The run I have goes from 1858 to 1874.

Have good day,
Jke

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Land-Sea,

Absolutely! I am always interested in any soure or reference I can get a hold of. The more research the better. You never know what little detail you will find.

Thanks,

Robert in SC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread