the search for wrecks

nkhanjary

Greenie
Jun 21, 2010
I would like to know how could I start wreck Hunting?

Oman used to be a major marine power in the 16th Century. After reading some of the posts here I started looking through the internet and found there are not alot of wreaks in Oman, Most possible that they are waiting to be discovered??

So I thought maybe If I looked hard enough I could find something??

So now I am looking for advices about it??
what should I get and how should I start??

there are few wrecks that are fairly new but people never tend to dive there! reason is unknow!!

I am getting my boat in two weeks time! so i think i might go and check them out!!!

these might be crazy Dreams but thought of giving it a shot???

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Do fishermen drag nets in your area? If so, they know where the wrecks are because they don't want to snag their nets on the wrecks.

Chip V.

Oh, where are my manners? Welcome to TreasureNet!

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
There are a lot of early 16th century Portuguese wreck there - the Vicente Sodré 1503 fleet comes to mind.

I have been compiling those, together with Dr. Filipe Castro, from INA.

OP
OP
nkhanjary

nkhanjary

Greenie
Jun 21, 2010
Thanx alot every one,,, i thought i could get more info about wrecks in oman in here!!!

so far there are two where people normally dive there. on the north near where i live...

- Al Munassire wreck - which is sank to form an artifuitial reef and dive atraction (history is known)

- Ms Mimonna wreck - which is a Cargo wreck got sunk in a tropical storm (history unknown) you still find loads of cement bags

There are other two known wrecks but ppl never dive there (unknown reason) and i dont seem to find any history on them.

also there are few small wrecks of tug boats around

then down south, there are few wrecks...

- Raysut Cement 1 - which got sunk in 2000 by accident (http://www.ameinfo.com/5476.html)
- Chaina wreck - which is a Cargo wreck got sunk in a tropical storm (history unknown)

these are all the information i know of wrecks in Oman.

We have loads of natural hurbers in Oman so its is worth checking them out.

was searching the net for wrecks in Oman but didnt find any usuful information.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Sea charts give good clues too. Often it even shows the sunken or exposed wreck. Where there is or was a lighthouse there are normally wrecks closeby. You might get sea charts at a university or in the harbours, sometimes even ships captains or pilots give their old charts away if you can't find a place that sells them in your country. They are very valuable sources of information when trying to find wrecksites. Local fishermen are one of the best sources for wrecksites as was said before. A lot of even the modern shipwrecks hold interesting artifacts to decorate your house or sell, like gauges, portholes, small propellers, valves etc.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
You won't find them on the internet, only on true historical archives. For example:

1503. Two Portuguese ships (one is « Esmeralda » of Vicente Sodré) of the Sodre brothers’ fleet were lost on Kuria Muria Island in January 27th, near Socotora, with a treasure captured on Moorish ships.

1509. Duarte de Lemos, the chief captain of the coast of Arabia burnt several Moorish ships in Muscat.

1520. Joao Gonçalves lost his ship at Curia Muria Island

1522. "Sao Jorge", Dom Garcia Coutinho.

1525. "Corpo Sancto" The Admiral ship, Cap-mor Dom Felipe de Castro, coming from Lisboa to Ormuz

1547. Nau of Jorge Gonçalves with Andre Cortes.

1553. The battle of Cape Musandam, between the fleet of Fernando de Menezes (Portuguese) anda fleet of Turkish Galleys from Suez, one league of Muscat.

1531. Manuel de Vasconcellos burns several moorish ships at Muscat.

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)
allen_idaho said:
The "John Barry" was sunk off of Oman in 1944. Although it has been salvaged in the 1990's and lies at about 8500 feet.

So it might be a little out of hookah range? ;D

Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread