Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunters eager to chase golden dreams

Past storms may make for fewer finds

BY LINDA JUMP
FLORIDA TODAY

When it comes to legends of the undiscovered treasure from the 1715 Spanish fleet, optimism is like Old Faithful.
The boats are repainted, the air tanks are full and the excitement is rising, as it does at the start of each treasure-hunting season in May.
Divers want to get out soon to see how the sands have shifted under the ocean off Florida's east coast, hoping bountiful sites haven't been covered and that new sites may have been unburied.
"It's always a turkey shoot," said Robert "Frogfoot" Weller, 80, a treasure diver for decades, now retired. "The American dream is to have a great day at the beach and to find some treasure, too. There's still a lot of it out there to find."
The Treasure Coast, stretching roughly from Brevard County's southern border to Jupiter, takes its name from the "gold fever" that struck here almost 50 years ago.
In 1959, treasure hunter Kip Wagner found what is believed to be the site of an encampment for Spanish salvagers recovering items from a fleet that went down only a few miles off the coast in a 1715 storm.
Since the 1960s, divers, both professionals and amateurs, and beachcombers have found millions of dollars in silver and gold coins, jewelry and everyday items likely from the 1715 fleet on beaches and in waters.
Many items are displayed at the McLarty Museum, near the survivors' camp at Sebastian Inlet, and at Mel Fisher's Treasure Museum in Sebastian.
Despite the many finds, treasure hunters say there's still plenty of loot unrecovered. Most believe three to four ships haven't been found and, they say, two ships alone showed registered cargo of more than 220 tons in "pieces of eight," silver coins that were Spanish currency.
Also, a dowry of jewels and other treasures for the queen that the fleet was carrying from the Americas hasn't been located.
"There's still tens of millions of dollars worth of stuff to be found," said 40-year diver John Brandon of Fort Pierce, who'll head out again this year.
The past two seasons have been poor in the water. More was found on beaches after the hurricanes that ate down the dunes by several feet. In the three days after Hurricane Frances, coins and jewelry valued at $500,000 were recovered by people with metal detectors.
"But they've been pumping and dumping sand on the beaches all year long, so for treasure hunters, I think this year is going to be bleak," said Mitch King, vice president of the Treasure Coast Archeological Society. "They'll have to search through new sand that's 10 feet deep and 50 feet wide in places."
The 2005 diving season, usually wrapping up at the end of September, started late and ended early because of poor underwater visibility caused by the most active recorded tropical storm season. That season also damaged some diving boats and docks where they were moored.
After the expense of repairs, the rest of the season was not good, with rough waters and murky conditions. Brandon said he had only five good days, and subcontractors with the salvage company founded by famed treasure hunter Mel Fisher averaged 16 diving days all season.
In the last three days of last season, Brandon found an intricate gold flower chain and olive jar shards that make him believe he has a new site.
"It was in new territory not excavated yet, so I'm excited to get out and see what's there," he said.
This season could be challenging as well, with high fuel prices combining with worries about hurricane-force winds or other tropical storms.
"If it's a questionable day, they're going to stay at dock," said Rex Stocker, a "treasure finder" for more than 40 years. He said fuel can cost $400 a day.
Doug Pope, a subcontractor for Mel Fisher's, plans to salvage on Amelia Island first and make his way to Indian River County in July or August.
He's philosophical in his season prediction: "It's always a good year. Sometimes, it's a great year."
Contact Jump at 409-1423 or [email protected]

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I think the clarity has more to do with the wave action they have had down there this year and last year. We need some high pressure systems to come through and give us a few weeks of calm seas. I am facing the same scenario up here in SC. We have had very few days to get offshore and have good vis.

I wish everyone working the 1715 fleet this year lots of luck. Hope everyone finds some gold!

Robert in SC

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
Im about 60 miles north of the wrecks, the water was not to bad last weekend cleaner than it has been in awhile. but then i was just snorkling near shore...... As far as the fever goes I cant wait to get some you will be seeing me down there I have new detectors, new gps (both waterproof) and a full tank of gas lets go-- I will call in sick tomorrow

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
CaptainZossima said:
Also,
I keep reading how the water clarity is so poor...I thought the oceans were clean and clear off shore?
CZ
The wrecks are not far offshore. The ocean up there looks rough and the water cloudy to me whenever I've visited that area.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
riobravo said:
i feel like a kid outside the candystore window seeing some of the calm days on the beachcam sites see ya ll over there soon 8)
Turtle Hunter said:
Hi :D
I am excited as heck too!! I won't be doing any NEw Mexico T-hunting yet this summer, since I have no partner, but I have gotten equipment for some Treasure Diving together, and hope someone in melbourne area may be interested in hitting it with me. I have a 22 ft dive boat, a Third Lung system, a Pulse 8X, getting certified next week, and chomping at the bit!!
All YOU need is to pitch in for half the FUEL --- (thanks to george) and we can have some Adventure!!
ANYONE INTERESTED??
PEACE Turtle
Here is my boat before I refinished the interior hull this last winter.
You guys have permits?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Turtle Hunter said:
Do you need a permit to metal detect under water near the surfline and away from other people's claims? ???
Unfortunately you do. :'( They will arrest us and confiscate our equipment. Maybe you can sub-contract from one of the permit holders. :-\
Wreckdiver help explain the laws.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Turtle Hunter said:
How does everyone else do it then? dive from the beach? hehe
Wreckdiver, please let me know, if you know.
PEACE Turtle
We have to wait on the beach holding our..uh...units.. :( hoping for a storm. :D

bigwaveohs

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2006
California Delta
I was all set to by a submersible metal detector and start diving on my next (annual) vacation to Florida...that is until I started reading this forum. Forget it!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
bigwaveohs said:
I was all set to by a submersible metal detector and start diving on my next (annual) vacation to Florida...that is until I started reading this forum. Forget it!
You are allowed to use a MD in the water at most of the other Florida beaches. You can dive but are not allowed to bring a MD in the surf on the 1715 Treasure Beaches which covers most of the area between St. Lucie Inlet to north of Sebastian Inlet. There may be some small areas in between the designated wreck site areas, I'm not sure. Check back as wreckdiver will clarify when he gets back in.

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtle Hunter; you do not have to have a permit to use a metal detector in the water. However, technically, you do need a permit to hunt for shipwrecks. Please follow the thread on Florida under Legal Issues in this Forum, there you will also find the GPS coordinates of most of the wrecks that are leased by the state, and the distance you must maintain from the wreck (3000 yards in most cases). http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,16144.0.html
I hope this answers your questions, so now gas up that boat of yours and find some treasure, See you on the bottom!

Q

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
Well the beach hunters have been getting regular storms as of late (Francis, Jennee and a few good tropical depressions somewhat ordinary on Florida coast in summer)-- and hunting land is easier than water both are fun and possibly rewarding, myself i will be doing a combination

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Turtle Hunter said:
;D
Right On! Wreck Diver Comes Through!! Geez that's good news, Sir, because I was getting ready to Ebay all my stuff after the parranoia I was feeling...... ;)
NOT!! ::)
Now I certainly do plan to get out there AFTER I have logged and planned around any known state leased wreck sites. :P
8) I'll wave at whats his name on the beach holding his - uh, unit.... :-X waiting for a storm.
Oh what a happy day! Thanks again for setting us straight Wreck diver. All the best to ya!!
PEACE Turtle
;DThat's funny, but I think you misunderstood. Did you say you wanted to find 1715 artifacts? ??? ALL of the 1715 locations and other unidentified wrecksites ARE OFF LIMITS for a CIRCLE RADIUS of 3000 yards! That puts all potential 1715 search areas off limits without a permit. If you are looking for modern jewelry in between, OK. But these are not modern crowded beaches. And if it is 1715 treasure you are after, the water in those areas are off limits to you and me. I would not mislead you.

Now if you are searching for one of the possible missing shipwrecks, in an area that the professionals don't want, say in Brevard County, you got it. No permit needed. But, like I said, you will NOT be allowed in the water in areas where artifacts and treasure is being found. Honestly.

BCH

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Turtle Hunter said:
bigcypresshunter -
HUH??? ??? I never said I was going after "the 1715 fleet" did I? Please PM me if you have further comments for me. Thanks and have a wonderful day! Your freind, Turtle ;)
No you did NOT. My fault. I assumed because the title is 1715 treasure hunting season.(season for permit holders) I, myself, am interested in 1715 fleet artifacts. And I search for them on the beach, a very good place to look after a storm. Everyone else, I believe will try to work as a sub-contractor for someone that has a permit, in season.(when the water is calm). These sites are legal to dive on and explore, looking at the cannons and such, but NO MD. They are patrolled. If you are lucky enough to eyeball something, the word is mum. One of the wrecksites is made into a public underwater preserve. All of the 1733 sites in the Keys are also legal to dive on but no MD. I posted here not just for you but for anyone planning to dive these sites. I am only trying to help. Good luck with your siteseeing/ fishing trips. ;) ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lol no apologies necessary. :D I have no authority. I just feel that wreckdiver did not explain well. He usually is right on and direct. I would like to get a MD in those waters! But I have no permit and it is illegal and patrolled. :(:'( :'( :'( :'( I tried to joke about us MDers standing on the beach.

wreckdiver, has much treasure ever been found in the water in the areas between the leases? ???That would be good to know. I never really thought about that. Is that legal?

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Treasure can be found all along the beaches up and down the coast and at all and between all known 1715 wrecks. most of the treasure today is buried in the sand close to shore (hopefully uncovered by previous storms!) from the dunes into the shallow water you can find treasure. it is best to know where to hunt and what to look for. Treasure has been scattered for hundreds of years up and down the coast. Most of it will settle until mother nature or a blower uncovers it! Knowing where treasure has been previously found on the beach or in the water is a great knowledge to have, keeping up with that information through the years increases your chances!
I look at it as a needle in a haystack, giving enough time and perseverance you will find that needle and many more. I also look at it as an great and exciting adventure and with that adventure comes experience and knowledge, You learn from people such as the ones on this board, you learn from the friends you meet along the way that are involved in the same thing. An very wise old friend once told me "When Gold comes in the front door, friendship goes out the back" So be very careful with whom you trust and what you say. Enjoy this season and I wish you fellow hunters and finders the best of luck! Do whats right if you hunt in the zones that are leased, and if you hunt in between the zones ,find the missing ones! Gold, Silver, Emeralds and Artifacts are still wainting to be discovered!

Fisheye ... I will call you my life has been a little crazy!

Jimi D Pirate

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
we have permits to work on some sites off the cape and are waiting for the paperwork to finalize from the corp on our site somewhere along the coast :-X, and as always are negotiating contracts to help others.
hope to be there by the first of June :)

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, there have been many occasions that artifacts have been discovered between some of the wreck sites. Think about it, the hurricane was strong enough to beach or destroy the entire fleet of eleven galleons and support ships. Bodies and debris were scattered all up and down the coast for miles, with some survivors drifting as fare north as the north side of Cape Canaveral. Many theorize that one of the five, still missing ships went down at the location known as Chucks Steak House, formerly located just north of Bonsteel Park. However, to date, no such wreck has been located. Coins and artifacts continue to be discovered along this stretch of beach today. This location has been repeatedly magged over the years, and I have made repeated dives at this location over the years, and have come to the conclusion that this is simply a debris field from the wrecks several miles to the south (just my personal opinion), specifically the Cabin wreck site. As we know, the Fisher’s (also the Lease Holders), believe that this ship was carrying the Queens Jewels back to Spain. This is why the Chucks Steak House location has always been a favorite site for many treasure hunters.
Remember that it is illegal for anyone (even those with permits), to recover anything older than 50 years old from under the water, and outside of the designated lease arias. Hunt and look, but don’t recover it (catch and release to all my fishing buddies).

Q

P

peg legged

Yes the 1715 wrecks are exciting to talk about but here is somnething not discussed very often.
During this period of time what do you think the AIS indians were doing. They were not sun bathing on the beaches. They were COLLECTING whatever they found on the beaches and I mean everything including Gold, Silver, Gem stones, pottery and iron cook ware.
You need to spend some time along the water ways of the Indian River area AND the St. Johns River area but a SERIOUS word of WARNING. The GATORS are very restless IN FACT 3 PEOPLE have been killed in the last 2 weeks in Central Florida alone.
Enough said. Back to TREASURE.
I am taking a few photos of a few items that I have recovered from the Indian River that proves the Indians ues to melt some of the gold and silver they recovered from the beaches. I have a billet of silver that was melted in an iron laddle that weights a little over 5 pounds with some of the iron and silver melted together. I also have what is left of an iron pot that was used for melting silver with about 6 pounds of silver mixed with the melted iron. What most people do not know is that when silver is melted at a high temp the iron will also start to melt and will mix with the silver just like brazing.
Here is something interesting. Did you know that if you melt silver and laddle off the silver on the top the silver will become finer and each time you do this it gets finer and finer. I have assayed some of the silver and have found it to be almost 98% fine. I have also recovered a cache of silver coins that has a date of 1722 and are Reale 4. I have been told by some of the experts that there were NO Reale 4,s made in 1722 and these coins are COBBED. This is also my concern because they have a Mint Mark of having been minted in Madrid. Why would Madrid make a Silver Cob coin and send it back to the New World. I hope in the near future to post some photos of some of these coins.
These coins are of the Shield design and NOT the Pillars and Waves design that came out in 1723.
Questions and more questions. It never ends.
If anyone haqs any thoughts lets here them.
Thanks
Peg Leg

P

peg legged

Hi Turtle,
Here are a few more things of interest.
A friend of mine was fishing in Mosquito Lagoon many years ago and stumped his toe on what he thought was a rock but when he reached down he pulled up a Gold Bar that weighted over 24 pounds. He never spent much time scratching the area again.
Not known:
Near Turtle Mound at New Smyrna there was a cut made from the Atlantic Ocean into Mosquito Lagoon. This was to repair damaged Spanish ships. The cut was made by Indian slaves but it washed closed after a few storms. Never had the chance to check it out. It is now Government Land.
Not Known:
At the West Entrance to the Kennedy Space Center on State Rd 405 there is a high bluff over looking the Indian River and the NASA Gate. This BLUFF was a main campground ground for Ponce De Leon. There is a Police Museum there now ;D ;D. It has never been searched.
What lead me to research the St. Johns River was a location that I came across that contains hundreds of pottery sherd's. Among these sherd's was what appeared to be AZTEC pottery sherd's. Again EXPERTS said NO WAY. It dawned on me that this pottery had to come from Shipwrecks from the Atlantic Ocean which I now accept as a FACT. Some of these sherd's did come from ancient Mexico. You can step from you boat and walk on a bed of ancient pottery sherd's. This was also a Major Indian trading location. The water is very low but the Gators are very HIGH.
I plan to make another trip after mating season is over.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread