Anglesey shipwreck gold investors misled

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Anglesey shipwreck gold investors 'misled'

BBC, 15 November 2010 Last updated at 14:15 GMT

Anglesey shipwreck gold investors 'misled'

Investors who helped bankroll a salvage expedition to recover sunken gold off the coast of Anglesey claim they were misled by the project leader. Veteran diver Joe McCormack sought the cash after finding what he claimed was evidence of a wrecked galleon intended for Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1746.

But his salvage bid was stopped in late 2009 after running out of money - without unearthing any gold.

Mr McCormack said investors who spoke to the BBC had "an axe to grind".

The BBC's Inside Out North West programme has spoken to 10 investors who funded the ill-fated excavation project who feel they have been misled in some way.

Richard Holland, a doctor of genetics from Southport, put money in and convinced nine other friends and family to do the same, making a total investment of £70,000.

'Very bitter'

He said: "He [McCormack] was very convincing about the project. It was going to reinvigorate the area around Holyhead. There was going to be a major documentary about the project that we were on and there was going to be a book published as well.

"We've been lied to... not just me, there's a lot of people been told the same story. I feel very bitter about it. I feel very embarrassed by it, embarrassed because I've introduced some of my friends into it and I feel bitterly sorry that I've done that and I'm more than angry at Joe McCormack."

After visiting the site near Holyhead last summer, Mr Holland and his friend, Roy McWalters, invested more money to keep it afloat after it ran out of money in September 2009.

Mr McWalters, from Southport - who invested £13,500 - said: "I started to get worried when they were diving and they were bringing up nothing, absolutely nothing."

Mr McCormack's theory is that below the seabed off Holyhead is the wreck of a ship which had been carrying gold from Louis XV of France to Charles Edward Stuart - aka Bonnie Prince Charlie - while he was hiding on the Scottish Islands after the failed Jacobite Rebellion.

Louis XV made attempts to send relief ships to Charlie after he was defeated at the Battle of Culloden, the last of the great Jacobite risings - attempts to reinstate a Stuart monarch on the throne of Britain.

Mr McCormack, from Liverpool, gathered finance for the project after showing investors a ring seal purported to have belonged to Mary Queen of Scots, which he said was recovered by his son on the seabed.

'Misleading references'

He believes the seal could have been a token of authenticity carried on board to prove they were not British spies.

On his website, Maritime Resurgence, Mr McCormack claims the ring seal was identified by the National Museum of Scotland.

In May 2009, the museum's George Dalglish told the BBC he had authenticated a copper matrix seal, bearing the insignia of Mary Queen of Scots, but did not speculate on its origins.

In a statement, the museum said: "The comments on the Maritime Resurgence website do not set out the full context of our original correspondence with Mr McCormack. We do not endorse the content of this website and will be writing to ask that any misleading references to us are removed."

Although the letter from the museum makes it clear the museum had not dated the ring as belonging to the Queen, investors told the programme they still felt misled.

The BBC e-mailed Mr McCormack to inform him of the museum's statement, and in response he conceded the seal's date could not be "100% proven".

But he wrote that, given what was found and where, he still believed it to be original and that it supported his theory that the ring seal was used by the crew of a ship to prove to the Scottish they were allies of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

He added that a small number of investors "had an axe to grind" against him but he declined to be interviewed for the programme.

Inside Out can be seen on BBC One in the North West on Monday 15 November at 1930 GMT. Viewers outside the region can view the programme on digital channel 978, or at www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-11746463

divermark

Nov 28, 2009
Island of Anglesey Wales UK
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Anglesey shipwreck gold investors 'misled'

Hi, this is ten minutes from where I live, I cannot believe how many people got sucked in, here is the company's website:

http://www.maritimeresurgence.co.uk

They built a scaffold over the site as it is close in to the rocks, all the locals laughed, then a force 10 gale blew it away and it collapsed onto the wrecksite!

some film from youtube:

There is literally wreck on top of wreck here, an awful lot of slave ships. It is a very interesting spot. But you have to question how they blew so much money and what on?

Another interesting story in Anglesey involves 2 young spanish boys that floated ashore on some wreckage in about 1750, I intend to start looking for the wreck this summer, they are doing some interesting research on the boys here:

http://www.angleseybonesetters.co.uk/

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

A little research would have disclosed what really happened to the gold destined for Bonnie Prince Charles--and these investors would still have all their money:

(NC 5694 5262) Spanish Gold Coin found AD. 1840 (NR)
OS 6" map (1961)

'A gold coin now in Dunrobin Museum was taken out of Lochan Hacoin (Lochan Hakel) in the cleft of a cow's hoof. It is Spanish and probably connected with the wreck of an Armada ship, some of whose guns are still at Tongue (NC59 56)'.
Name Book, 1874

In 1746, the 'Hazard', a French war sloop carrying money to Prince Charles Edward, was run ashore at Melness (NC58 60) to escape capture by pursuing cruisers. The crew, in trying to make their way south overland with their treasure, were intercepted by the MacKays at Loch Hacon. The Frenchmen, seeing there was no chance of escape, threw the greater part of the money into the loch. Several of the country people found some of it afterwards, and an odd coin has sometimes been found since.

Source: http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=5348
Don........PS: Yes, those MacKay's were 'my' MacKays, though, unfortunately, I inherited none of that loot.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010

Are'nt we blessed to have one of the MacKay's clan in our midst ! Thank you Don for this contribution . Cornelius

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Bonnie Prince Charles and his troops were beaten at Culloden in April of 1746. History reflects his 'romantic' escape from Scotland, disguised as a women--to the outer islands, then continuing his retreat to France, arriving in Sept. of '46. I don't believe he made any further efforts to return.

Divermark: I would be most surprised to read of five other attempts in 1746 to supply BPC with gold via sea shipments. Please put me on to those reports. Thanks,
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread