167.4 KB · Views: 1,235

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece! Did you find that with your Garrett?

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
signumops said:
Nice piece! Did you find that with your Garrett?
Yes I did. It was about a foot deep buried under small rocks.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if rocks are not normal for that area -- the "small rocks" might be small ballast stones used on old wooden vessels

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
if rocks are not normal for that area -- the "small rocks" might be small ballast stones used on old wooden vessels
Rocks are normal in that area but there were some bigger black pebble shaped rocks I always got a strong signal from. I wonder what that is.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
some rocks have minerals in them that will react with a metal detectors feild -- they are called "hot rocks" by those who detect -- and if they do not look like they "fit" and are not common to the area -- it might be a form of ballast * --or-- it might be something other than stone (some sort of cargo) -- silver ore pellets will turn black in time in sea water --so look closely and be sure of what your looking at.

MyLuckyDay

Dec 27, 2010
Joe Lee said:
Hi everybody,
I found this with me Seahunter close to a wreck site. Is it just a ship's nail?
I think it is brass but I can't tell exactly....

What wreck site? A 1715 wreck?

I use the Sea Hunter too. Great little tool, eh?

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
MyLuckyDay said:
Joe Lee said:
Hi everybody,
I found this with me Seahunter close to a wreck site. Is it just a ship's nail?
I think it is brass but I can't tell exactly....

What wreck site? A 1715 wreck?

I use the Sea Hunter too. Great little tool, eh?
Yeah, the Seahunter is a great tool and no, it is not a 1715 wreck. It is an unknown wreck in the Eastern Caribbean.

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
some rocks have minerals in them that will react with a metal detectors feild -- they are called "hot rocks" by those who detect -- and if they do not look like they "fit" and are not common to the area -- it might be a form of ballast * --or-- it might be something other than stone (some sort of cargo) -- silver ore pellets will turn black in time in sea water --so look closely and be sure of what your looking at.
I had a very close look at them and they are unfortunately only hot rocks. There are a lot of them but not enough to be ballast stones (even though they look like ballast stones).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
how much ballasr stone carried on a vessel depended upon many factors -- the size of the vessel and how much cargo she had were 2 major factors --stop and think if the vessel had lots of cargo --very little (if any) ballast stone might have been on board --why carry non paying worthless "ballast" rock if you can carry paying cargo $$$? -- ballast rock often was only used if cargo could not be found to give enough weight to keep her properly "bottom heavy"-- :wink: :icon_thumright:

a smallish sailing vessel with a good load of "heavy" cargo might not have any "ballast stone" upon her.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe Lee said:
ivan salis said:
I had a very close look at them and they are unfortunately only hot rocks. There are a lot of them but not enough to be ballast stones (even though they look like ballast stones).

You sure? I'm not aware of any glacial activity in the Caribbean. I'd take a second look. Take one home and have a geologist look at it.

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
how much ballasr stone carried on a vessel depended upon many factors -- the size of the vessel and how much cargo she had were 2 major factors --stop and think if the vessel had lots of cargo --very little (if any) ballast stone might have been on board --why carry non paying worthless "ballast" rock if you can carry paying cargo $$$? -- ballast rock often was only used if cargo could not be found to give enough weight to keep her properly "bottom heavy"-- :wink: :icon_thumright:

a smallish sailing vessel with a good load of "heavy" cargo might not have any "ballast stone" upon her.
This makes sense to me but I was diving at that site for over an hour and the only signal I got - beside the hot rocks - was that little thing I posted here. I will be going diving in this area next week and check out this site again.

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
Bum Luck said:
Joe Lee said:
ivan salis said:

You sure? I'm not aware of any glacial activity in the Caribbean. I'd take a second look. Take one home and have a geologist look at it.
I did another dive in this area (about a mile away from my find) and I had the same hot rocks as well. Found some huge ankers (at least 12 feet) there but nothing else.

MyLuckyDay

Dec 27, 2010
Joe Lee said:
This makes sense to me but I was diving at that site for over an hour and the only signal I got - beside the hot rocks - was that little thing I posted here. I will be going diving in this area next week and check out this site again.

Don't give up on the site. Do a nice perimeter (or two or three), and see if this is part of a debris field.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
at times the hull breaches leaking ballast stone from the bottom of her hull * but the vessel does not always go down right away -- she might stuggle on a for bit --thats known as a debris feild leakage pattern -- think of a car with a hole in its oil pan and how the engine does not always quit right away but instead leaks oil leaving a trail --now once all the oil leaks out the engine quits -- or in this case, once the ballast stone is lost the ship becomes "top heavy" rolls over and the ship sinks .

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet that made a nice sounding signal! Nice find...seems iron use for small things on a ship switched over to either brass or bronze sometime in the Roman ship era? i think it is how they date those older ships. The iron stuff of certain parts on deck, like for wrapping a rope around didn't last nor do they exist and when replaced by the bronze, you still can find them.

OP
OP
Joe Lee

Joe Lee

Oct 30, 2010
TnT
Detector(s) used
MyLuckyDay said:
Joe Lee said:

Don't give up on the site. Do a nice perimeter (or two or three), and see if this is part of a debris field.
I spoke to a fisherman and he told me there is a site very close to were I found that thing that is full of those "nails" - that's what he thinks it is. He will show me the place next time I go diving there. I guess this could be the place the ship actually sank.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Its a nice artifact. Keep looking in that area, and find other signs, and keep following until you find it. I agree, the rocks are most likely ballast rocks. Sometimes there is no treasure, but the artifacts are really nice to have.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Go to the spot and start looking around, and checking it with your detector. It might be a good one! Those ships spikes are worth hanging onto.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions