wreck found in sebastian

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been busy the past few weeks removing wrecks from the marina where i keep the CARIBE at in sebastian.me, frank burrows and paul the marina dockmaster refloated this 28 foot carver that sank during one of the hurricanes that hit the east coast 2 years ago.i could have cut it up with my new underwater hydrulic chainsaw but the hull was in one piece so we decided to winch it up an refloat it instead.once we got it floated we had tow boat tow it away to sebastian marine to have it hauled out,put on a flatbed an taken to the local dump.i have 2 more sunken boats to remove,both are sailboats.1 can be refloated the other the hull is busted up so it will be cut up in 3-4 foot sections.this weekend we have finally organized enough people to help get HRD's deep venture off the island.have to do it this weekend,the local pirates are stealing parts off it.if anyone is in the area an wants to help,(no pay,lots to drink,an you get some salvage expierence)mail me before 11pm friday night as im headed down to my boat.we wont be useing shovels,we have 3 sand dredges an a giant winch.

heres a link to the refloated sunk boat pics.

http://www.stillwaves.com/Striker37/page3/index.htm

Attachments

• atriskwreck.jpg
    atriskwreck.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,002

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is an old post and the Deep Venture is still there in the news today.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/jun/10/30gtremoval-of-vessels-meets-resistance-by-state/

And another challenge, Gray and Gorham agreed, is a dive boat, the Deep Venture, on the third spoil island south of the St. Sebastian River. It's high and dry, yards from the nearest water.

"It shows the power of a hurricane," Gorham said.

And it might have to stay there, they said, since there's no way to pull it off the island or cut it into sections without disturbing wildlife.

Roach said the usual waterway authorities, such as the U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers or the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, typically back away from dealing with derelict boats.

"There's a no-man's land of responsibility for derelict vessels," he said.

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
thanks for clearing the water way of these boats---just this morning read the Press Journal article----wish we were there to help but are now back in the Blue Ridge enjoying 98 degree days----hopefully some of the Cap Hiram guys will pitch in ....

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres no excuse for city of sebastian and vero for not removing the rest of the abandoned boats.My crew and I cut up and removed 3 of the boats and lots of debris from finns marina for less than 5k of my own funds with a under water chain saw that is now for sale for 3k.The dep was happy with what we did and no permits were required at the time.I guess now they want $$$ for permits to remove the wrecked boats.Catch 22.Buy my saw and get the job done!

For sale is a Heavy duty industrial hydraulic pump powered by a 12 volt electric start 18 hp 2 cylinder briggs and stratton I/C gas engine.This pump will put out 2000 psi to run this fairmont chainsaw.also included is 125 feet of hydraulic hose.This pump will also run any other hydraulic saw or any impact wreck or other hydraulic tool such as concrete cutters.the fairmont chainsaw comes with a standard wood cutting blade.you can even buy diamond blades for this saw to cut metal or concrete.this saw will work on land or underwater.My crew and I used this pump and saw to cut up and bring to the surface several large wood and fiberglass sailboats that were wrecked and sunk in 8 feet of water at one of the marinas on the east coast of florida after the 2004 hurricanes for 1 summer.this is the perfect tool for marine salvage or underwater piling or log cutting.the saw has a slot to put a long pole on it to be used for tree trimming or hard to reach areas.the pump weighs around 200lbs.the hydraulic oil is contained in the steel frame around the pump and motor.the saw weighs less than 6lbs can even be used 1 handed.asking $3000 for the pump,saw and hoses.the saw sells new for over $1200.the pump new would be over $5000.the hoses would be over $1300.
Note:This chainsaw will not bog down when cutting wood,metal or fiberglass.

Attachments

• uwchainsaw.jpg
    uwchainsaw.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,211
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,217

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the city should remove all of the wrecked boats, same goes for Melbourne regarding the two sailboats that recently washed up on the rocks on the NW side of eau gallie causeway.

However, it shouldn't be on the taxpayer's dollar, it should be on the person whom the boat is registered to. If they abandon their boat, they should be fully and financially liable for removing it. Our ICW is not a landfill!!!

Having said this, the city/county/state should sue the boat owner or abandoner to recover costs.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The city of sebastian got money from the state to remove ALL the boats.thing is they spent all of the money they got to remove 1 steel trawler that a capt ran up on the rocks at the inlet.sounds like whoever got the salvage job knew how much they got from the state and charged them that amount to remove the trawler.the city should have got bids to do the job and took the lowest bid.

The dep does charge the boat owner money for thier abandoned boat.also they will revoke your drivers licenses and make it so you can never get insurance or reg a car in the state of florida ever again till the fees are paid off.

Also if your boat is sunk or stranded up on high ground and you have no insurance or money to get it afloat again due to a hurricane or storm.FEMA will pay to have the work done.But you HAVE to file the paperwork before thier deadline,That means do it the day after it happens!

Also some owners of abandoned boats can never be found because they took the numbers and ident number off thier boats so they couldnt be identified.Also insurance companies are alot to blame as was the case at finns marina.they paid off on the boats to the owners and the marina and never hired anyone to get rid of the boats.and in some cases they hired a salvage company to get rid of the boats,so the salvage co just yanked the engines out of all the boats an left the marinas never to be seen again.

What does the DEP do with all the money it gets from the owners of the abandoned boats?who knows,they arent giving it out to a salvage co to remove them.Same goes with all the money that treasure hunters are giving them thinking that they will get a salvage contract.Smells fishy to me.

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
since this is state owned water, the same problem as treasure hunting in the rivers occurs. The city of Sebastian can't just do it without approval from the state nazis. Government, don't ya just love 'em?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would think FEMA would pay. They paid everybody else! ::)

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dell Winders said:
They didn't pay me. Nada! Dell
You need to apply for it, Dell. Most cities and counties did. Residents too. Bush was trying to "buy" votes in the all important Florida Primary, remember? FEMA was instructed to pay anybody and everybody that applied for Federal assistance in hurricane ravaged Florida. (He won by a few hundred votes)

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Presidents or wannabe Presidents are just puppets, someone within the secret government pulls their strings.what they say they are going to do so they get elected is all BS

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dell Winders said:
You need to apply for it, Dell. Most cities and counties did. Residents too. Bush was trying to "buy" votes in the all important Florida Primary, remember? FEMA was instructed to pay anybody and everybody that applied for Federal assistance in hurricane ravaged Florida. (He won by a few hundred votes)

I did apply. Complete with photos. Dell
I am surprised. I Know two people that told FEMA that they had NO damage, but were paid direct deposit anyway. Dade County residents were also paid and the whole county had minimal damage. FEMA workers walked door to door up and down the streets soliciting people handing out checks in the poor black neigborhoods. Of course they accepted. Even the rich neighborhoods got fast checks. Cities received huge checks for clean-up.
I received a FEMA check myself for a generator and because I had a large insurance deductible and didnt put in a claim. They only paid what homeowners wouldnt, so you couldnt be paid twice. FEMA wanted to give this money away to Florida residents. They were instructed to do so with the all important Florida Primary coming up. The election was on the line.
Did a FEMA worker come to your house Dell?

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
I gotta check for a generator too. I asked about gasoline reimbursement. They said I needed a receipt dated at the time of use. I asked 'em how they expected me to pump gasoline WHEN THE ELECTRICITY WAS OFF!?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I bought my generator used for $250 and showed the receipt. A FEMA check was direct deposited to my checking account for $850 if i remember correctly. :icon_scratch: I believe everyone was paid the same for a generator. It didnt change my vote. :D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dell Winders said:
Sorry, I got carried away. I didn't mean to hijack this thread. I apologize! Dell
Im sorry for hijacking as well.

But FEMA is supposed to kick in for the part that homeowners does not pay. If I remember correctly, you have to make the homeowners claim first, then FEMA. It only makes sense that they dont want to pay if insurance will pay. I made no homeowners claim.

I have a package somewhere that I received from FEMA that explains everything. I lent it out and havent got it back yet. >:( It may be too late to fight it. :-\

All I did was make one phone call to FEMA. :icon_scratch:
Electric was out for over a month but I picked up the number from my battery operated radio. I kept my cellphone charged by generator and made the call. When the FEMA worker arrived, I still had no electric. He was a bit rude but I gave him some water and he calmed down. The money was in the bank shortly after.

Thinking about it, your problem may have been political. There was a big push by Bush to get Broward and Dade County votes. He barely won 4 years before with Gore in Florida. Dade County had NO STORM DAMAGE! ::) But FEMA paid big to Dade County residents.

mrfixit

May 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i own a moving company i really wanna get a hold of this hull and make her float again ill bring all my crews and i think we could get it to budge me and one of my employees where on my boat and found it and we wanna restore it wonder if the owner would let it go its been 6 years.:)

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i own a moving company i really wanna get a hold of this hull and make her float again ill bring all my crews and i think we could get it to budge me and one of my employees where on my boat and found it and we wanna restore it wonder if the owner would let it go its been 6 years.:)

It was still unmoved as of yesterday morning, so her obvious problems have not changed. Still high and dry.

OP
OP
FISHEYE

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to get the deep venture off the island is to rig it to be hauled out with a helicopter.It will cost you around 4 to 6 grand to have it done.I will get the info for the new owner we gave it to.Im sure the state and DEP has fined him plenty of $$$ for leaving it there.When we gave it to him we transferred the title to his name.You cant dig it out as theres no where for it to go.The lagoon is too shallow and theres mangroves on the other side.You can cut them nor can you harm 1 living oyster or any wildlife.I will get the guys info then you can contact the DEP about trying to move it.Or you could wait till the next giant storm where there is a 10 foot surge tide,then just tow it away to some dock far away from there.Then you can claim salvage rights on it.Better put a bilge pump and some batteries in it first and pump out whatever water has collected in it.It still has a real nice 4 blade 28 inch prop on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread