Here is one small list about interesting shipwrecks with specie:

1830 Royal Tar $60.000 in coins

1819 Princess Charlotte 30.000 coins

1896 Jamaica some treasure on board

1852 Shaw $4.700 in specie

1891 Mc Gregor $12.925 in specie

1890 Yangstze $100.00 in treasure

Sakkarah:

The ship Skkarah, from the Deutsche Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Kosmos, home port was in Hamburg, start his arrived from Valparasio to Hamburg, Germany at the 30.04..
After short time at the sea, the vessel struck in one nearly reef in front of the small island Huamblin, at the Chili coast. The mistake was: The officer were writen the informationen only on one paper but they dont take tke scales in the charts. So the captain stay on the wrong side of the vessel and he looked for the island of Huamblin on the wrong side. The ship struck in the reef on the other side when the captain stay at this time. All hands on board were safed placed at the Huamblin island. They stay there 7 days: from the 30.04. to the 07.05..
In this 7 day they recovered all the bagage and the mails from the vessel. At the 07.05. one officer and 4 crew member driven in one life boat to the island Malinka. They arrived Malinka 4 days later: 11.05.. In Malinka lay at this time one chili-men of war. This ship bring the german to Chiloe. In Chiloe they cabled to Valparasio.
At the 07.05. the other crew member begin to salvage all of the specie from the wrecked vessel. Not a single coin was lost in the sunken ship. The ship lay over water, but 3 meter of water was inside the ship, when the captain say, they have all recovered from the vessel that they want to need etc.
From Valparaiso, the other line ship, the Abydos came fast to the island of Huamblin to recover the specie and people. The Abydos was at the 16.05. at the island of Huamblin and take all back to Callao and Valparasio. In Valparasio, the specie were splitted in two charges: one were taken on board of the Radames and one on board the Isis. They start in one convoy of the way back to Germany. But the Isis have problems and one accident in the Magellan-Strait around the 11.06. They came in the docks in Puenta Arenas in the Magellan Strait. The specie from the Isis were taken on board of the Radames and were transported safed in the habour of Hamburg.
On a half year after the accident of the Sakkarah, in October the High Supreme Court of the Sea in Hamburg, Germany handled this case and the result i write you below.

I have more shipwrecks, with interesting cagro in my list. I continue this in the next few days.

More:

1869 Blue Jacket 48.000 sovereigns

1869 Omar Pasha 30.000 sovereigns

1804 Romney a considerable sum of hard cash on board

1871 Quaker City a large amount of specie

1895 Elbe specie

1915 Dutch vessel gold bars& and gold coins

Creatmosfairy

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
The Royal Tar ......what would that $60,000 be worth in todays dollars? What kinds of coins would have been aboard in 1830 gold and silver?

OP
OP
C

creatmosfairy

Aug 29, 2008
The interesting on the accident of the Royal Tar was:

They have on board some interesting animals: one elephant, two camels and other small animals in different cages, when they burnt near the coast line. All of the animals were burnt on the ship or jumped over board and drawned.

The Royal Tar was a spanish ship.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
The Royal Tar wasn't Spanish, it was Canadian I believe. It had a circus on board at the time. It happened off Vinalhaven Island here in Maine- about 10 miles from me as the crow flies. I was just curious as to what 60 grand in 1836 would be worth today. They let the boilers get low on water and they overheated and caught the ship on fire. I think about 30 people died. The ship drifted out to sea burning and sank who knows where.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elephants and camels are the best when roasted over a open flame.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
bell47 said:
The Royal Tar ......what would that $60,000 be worth in todays dollars? What kinds of coins would have been aboard in 1830 gold and silver?

That would be about 60,000 pieces of Eight. Or about 3,500 pounds of silver.

tridentresearch

Greenie
Nov 22, 2008
Creatmosfairy;

The Royal Tar ended up drifting down to the Georges Bank, where it eventually sank a charred hulk. This info from spotting reports of various vessels noted in the shipping sections of the many news accounts of the times. The specie was actually a mix of both silver and gold, mostly British, early American and Spanish Dollars. Undoutedly there would be a large amount of melted metal in this mix as the conflagration gutted the hull entirely within the interior sections.

That Dutch Ship of 1915 you refer to is the stmr. Tubantia of 13,911 gross tons sunk on 25 Mar., 1915. This is the infamous steamer that several salvage companies attempted to conduct a smash-n-grab recovery on based on incorrect information that she may have carried smuggled German gold hidden in barrels of cheese. Today this wreck is dove on constantly by UK divers and through all of these activities not one bar or coin of gold has ever been recovered from the suspected No. 4 hold.

Hope this helps clarify things on two of these sites.

Best;
TR

OP
OP
C

creatmosfairy

Aug 29, 2008
I dont look for this shipwrecks with specie. This information is for anybody, who want to have this basic kind of information to look for more historian details about this wrecks. Only Research is one very interresting to me, you can find one short view about the local history and situation in the past.

creatmosfairy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread