Becoming a Sub-Contractor

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
How does one become a sub contractor. Is there any requirement for boat/size, equipment, detecting gear.

I've been wanting to do this since I read about in True and Argosy magazines back in the 60's. I came to Florida and went to school to become a marine technician when I got of the air force in the early 70's. My plan was to get into treasure diving back then but reality intruded. I got a job at Univ of Miami traveling around the Bahamas and diving, then NOAA offered me a job on one of their ships and I spent the next 25 years traveling all over the world. A steady check, overtime, A/C and engineers that fixed anything that broke helped in the decision. I spent most of my time collecting data. I've detected the beaches but never had any luck.

I've finally got time to myself, an old chris craft 25 foot dual inboard boat and a small pension that will keep me in PB&J and gas. I'm ready to make/buy some blowers for my 12 inch props.

I'm pretty clueless on getting started, any help would be appreciated

Thanks for any assistance

Do you get assigned a certain area
Do you have access to previous mag/sonar studies
How much research is available, where people have excavated, what they found
How much is a sub-contractor lease

I realize that the Fisher leases have been sold, does anyone have a contact for the new owners?

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Denniss, Welcome to TNET. Sorry can't answer your questions but I would like to have those answers as well.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dennis and Seeker just call the Sebastian museum at: 772-589-0435 or go there in person. The Brisbanes will give you a contract for $500 and you can go anywhere you want OR pay nothing and go where they tell you to go. Once you sign the contract you have access to their HUGE database of every hole blown and what was found in it going back to the 70's. You can use any size boat you want and any equipment you want.

1715 Fleet QJ

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2010
The information provided by Salvor6 is not correct. If you would like information on becoming a subcontractor for the 2011 season, please email 1715 Fleet - Queens Jewels, LLC at [email protected] We will be happy to provide details. In addition, all requirements and conditions will be discussed at the annual subcontractors meeting. This meeting is tentatively scheduled for Saturday March 5, 2011. An official announcement of the date and time will be released in the next few days.

Thanks for all your interest in the 1715 Fleet,
1715 Fleet - Queens Jewels, LLC

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for correcting me OJ. This is just what I heard from other people.

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
I thought he meant sub contractor like in submarines. But Airforce guys and subs don't mix.
The rules are few and far between... the mainstay of course is "let them dig it....then take it"> That is a bit easy and usually ends different.
Considering youself as a garbage collector/legally is a good start for making the thing work.
Permission from the property owner is a compromise to most laws in this regard.
As far as the queens jewels are concerned.........is there some sort of continuity that makes everyone that finds a precious stone a subject ?

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He who finds the most gold.....wins.

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Denniss,

Welcome and good luck to you!

Your first contact should be Queens Jewels - get the info you need from them

but if you get close to Riverside Boatyard in Ft. Pierce stop by to say Hello - will take a break for a little treasure talk :laughing7:

Bonnie - "Gold Hawg" C-11

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be a Sub contractor.I do own a US navy Seal 2 man submarine that was made by scuba pro/havas in the 60's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread