Whats the one New World shipwreck........

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Pat, a sow is what they called a large ingot. It could be iron or lead, not in the shape of a pig! Platinum was a by-product of the smelting process. The Spaniards had no use for it and called it "ba$tard silver."

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salvor6 said:
Pat, a sow is what they called a large ingot. It could be iron or lead, not in the shape of a pig! Platinum was a by-product of the smelting process. The Spaniards had no use for it and called it "ba$tard silver."

OK, sssuuueeeyyyyyy Sal! I'm with ya now. I figured if it was platinum pigs, we'd be there asap.
See what happens to the brain when you jump from forum to forum. Thanks for suffering my ignorance, I'ma little new here, and good luck with your quests.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobadilla said:
I would like to find shipwreck of "Santa Maria de la Antigua", renamed in 1962 by treasure hunter Harry rieseberg for "Golden Hinde", and again renamed by Potter in 1975 for "El Dorado", the flagship of the 1502 lost fleet. Of course, I would like to find it together with giant gold nugget that was on board.... ::)

Regards,
Lobo

Is that the ship that went down in Mona Passage?

Bulgarian

Sep 1, 2005
"New World" as in "The Age of Discovery" or as in the geographic term "North and South America" ? If the latter, then I want to re-discover the ancient Roman wreck off the coast of Brazil, that Robert Marx was working on...Marx says in one of his books, that Spain and Portugal, fearing they will lose their status of "discoverers of the New World" pressured Brazil to shut down the site....

By the way, does anybody know of any work/search for this wreck since Marx ?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Brazil covered it with dredge spoils. They did not want it excavated. I am sure it is still there. Most likely no treasure, but all kinds of neat historic stuff.

Bulgarian

Sep 1, 2005
stevemc said:
Brazil covered it with dredge spoils. They did not want it excavated. I am sure it is still there. Most likely no treasure, but all kinds of neat historic stuff.

Talk about burying their head in the sand, to avoid facing the historical facts... ??? Oh and while we're at it - the world is flat, right ? :icon_thumleft:

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
stevemc said:

It is still there, untouched, it was not buried and is open for anybody to dive on.
I know the diver that showed it to Marx and the diver that told Marx where he could find the diver that knew the site.
And the whole story, from the first pictures of the amphorae that were published in the Brazilian magazine 10 years before Marx was in Brazil, to the story of the original finder in the Italian diver magazine.

And all the little secrets about that long story.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Brazilians want to remain being of spanish descent.They dont want the rest of the world to think they are part roman.And of course the spanish being the discoverers of the New World.But little do they know that the romans and chinese and vikings beat them to it.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oceanscience said:
stevemc said:

It is still there, untouched, it was not buried and is open for anybody to dive on.
I know the diver that showed it to Marx and the diver that told Marx where he could find the diver that knew the site.
And the whole story, from the first pictures of the amphorae that were published in the Brazilian magazine 10 years before Marx was in Brazil, to the story of the original finder in the Italian diver magazine.

And all the little secrets about that long story.

Wait... Are we talking about a Roman ship that dates to Pre Colombian times wrecked in New-World waters?
Is just sitting there, known to people? Wow.

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Brazil was colonized by Portugal, not Spain. They still speak Portuguese and have no particular regard for Spain or Spanish America.

Smithbrown

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread