Diver towing sled

eborac

Jan 15, 2005
North Queensland, Australia
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi,
Does anyone use a towing sled for use in shark infested water ? I'm about to search underwater in area frequented by some very large tiger sharks & hammerhead sharks. I'm looking for ideas on a fold-up type protective sled so I can spend more time looking ahead rather than over my shoulder.
I'd probably need to go as deep as 35 metres which will enable me to see bottom at 40 plus metres. I just don't think it wise to use just a manta board for obvious reason.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started watching a movie last night from 1955 with Jane Russell, "UNDERWATER". They are using a towing sled through out the movie.

What are the chances of that happening? :dontknow:

Underwater! (1955)
Dominic Quesada and Johnny Gray, two SCUBA divers searching for sunken treasure off the coast of Cuba, think they've hit the jackpot when they find a 17th century ship on the sea floor. They need working capital however and Johnny is ready to hock his boat but his wife Theresa think their off on another wild scheme that will leave them all poorer than when they started. She comes around however and are soon joined by Gloria, whose boat they will use and Father Cannon, a university professor and archaeologist. Although Dominic hasn't been completely honest with his partners, hey may in fact be in the area of a major treasure ship. When they do find it, the ship is teetering on the edge of a 300 foot cliff and dangerous for even the most experienced divers.

Decent dive scenes for a movie. (through "The Deep" it isn't.)

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
[/quote]

1955 movie - Underwater

Minute mark @ 1.25

Attachments

• Jane R.jpg
    Jane R.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Turnbull

You just have no idea just how funny this is!!! :smileinbox: :smileinbox:

But, I will give you a hint!

Check out these photos:

The new Capt Dom still has a few rabbits to pull out of his hat!

I am going back now to watch the rest of the 1955 movie on Youtube...

Thanks.... :smileinbox:

Attachments

• Image085.jpg
    Image085.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 578
  • Image084.jpg
    Image084.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 589
  • Image085.jpg
    Image085.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 495
  • Image084.jpg
    Image084.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 504

humble

May 26, 2011
Thanks for the memories.

I worked with Lamar Boren, on one of the Bond films, who was probably the best underwater cinematographer in the business. Considering the technology and limited budget in 1955 the underwater footage is excellent. Note the double hose Aqua Lung regulator, no vests, no panel of computerized gadgets. They didn't exist. Capt. Dom, and others here can relate.

My Bahamian friend, Gavin McKenny, http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/pub...n_McKinney_recieves_Tribute_at_BIFF8904.shtml whom I've known and dove with since he was a tadpole has followed in Lamar Boren's footsteps, and has helped advance underwater cinematography into a practical 3-D Cinema application.

My favorite, most enjoyable tow sled was the converted hull of an old Navy seal open sub, which Fisheye, now has the honor of owing this piece of nostaligic history.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I watched the rest of the movie last night.

Someone needs to start a "Underwater Movie" Thread. TCM had another one on right before it as well. Mara Maru With Errol Flynn and Raymond Burr.

I have to add, with all the attention Jane Russell received for her "upper assests", she had a fine overall figure!

Sorry, I didn't mean to get off track with the sled.

Sea Hunt: (Breif Sea Sled shot)
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...101-4b6d-9bd9-be812a00cc3e|underwater sled|||

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
I just got through clicking all 8 sections of "Underwater"
on You Tube and agree with you.... it was and still is great!

Budget was not an issue for Howard Hughs but the technology was.
The story line and effect "treasure" can have on folks he nailed down
pat... Technology changes but the way people's brains work
remains the same. We can be driven by the lust
for gold to the point when we lose track
of what should be all important to us....

and, nobody - - - me included is not effected by "gold fever"
but the real "treasure" of undersea exploration is
the juice and genuine friendships that can
result from the effort of the search! :hello: :hello:

Here is a picture of my old Northhill hanging
in my dining room!

Attachments

• Jaque.jpg
    Jaque.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 483

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Ten year old video clip of a Diver being Towed on Sled at the Jupiter Shipwreck site!

Its fun sharing some of this a video record of the over two decades of participation at the Jupiter Shipwreck site!

Enjoy.

P.S. Dr. Robert Baer's book about the Jupiter Shipwreck site is coming out soon.
It should be an interesting slant on this on-going story that is far from over
for any of you following T-Net are learning.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a old US divers mistral double hose reg.Its the reg i learned to dive with.I have never seen a north hill reg before.The UDT navy seal sub i have was made by havas/scubapro back in the 50's it will be getting a restoration soon.This type of sub was used in several u/w movies in the 50's and 60's.Maybe this one was used in a movie,i dont know yet,not much info on the net about it.

humble

May 26, 2011
The color of the Navy Sub when I got it was Blue and had a smaller, curved water shield . It may have been used in the James Bond movie, "Thunderball". I don't remember.

Attachments

• tow sub2.jpg
    tow sub2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 900

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Trembull said:

Dom
You notice Jane's Red suit in picture for her movie
Was a FAD back then, Also

Attachments

• Red suit.gif
    Red suit.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 746

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Oh Well!

They (the internet police) spiked the You Tube copy of "Underwater"
produced by Howard Hughs and released in 1955.... posted in
this earlier thread.... :headbang: :headbang:

Anyhow.... T-Net followers rest assured the 21st century incarnation
of Gilbert Roland's character Capt Dominic is out doing his best with his astrolabe
so as to help keep the age of discovery alive!

I still am having a belly laugh over this!
So much for innovative thinking.....

Maybe I saw this film back when I was 6 or 7 or later on Saturday morning Adventure Theater
and between Jane Russel's obvious attributes and my profinity to red two piece bathing
suits the die was caste for my future .... as K.C. smith would say
"scoundrelous and scurrilousness activities", argh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread