Sandy Point gives up some treasure!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is great news. It is nice to know that someone is working that site-do you know who? Sandy Point has always held interest for me. The wreck is a bit of a mystery isn't it? All I got from it was a deck spike and lots of WWII shells and casings. I have talked in depth with Jim Sinclair, who did a survey and report on the site, and there is so much more there-somewhere.

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mad4wrecks,
Yeah it sure is a mystery and one that has had my interest for years!!
It's on my list of must explore more!

I heard the ring was found by some boat called The Endeavor :laughing9:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that is John Brandons boat.

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes. That was another incredible find by John Brandon.

That was only the 4th piece of gold found on "Sandy Point"

I have seen and held the piece and its detail is amazing; it looks similar to other friendship style bracelets that have been found on the 1715 fleet.

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
Apparently no one has found a "ballast pile", so the state desk jockeys assume there's no wreck. Having lived in Savannah, all of River street is paved/built with ballaststones. The ballast was unloaded and replaced with cargo. After sitting for over a decade in Havana, I'll bet there was very little need for ballast in some of those ships.

Don't forget ballast stones have been found far inland. A rock like this would have been a rare treasure to a Florida indian, for use as a tool of some kind...we don't have rocks in Florida. Maybe they salvaged some/all of them?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
aloysiusinfla said:
Apparently no one has found a "ballast pile", so the state desk jockeys assume there's no wreck. Having lived in Savannah, all of River street is paved/built with ballaststones. The ballast was unloaded and replaced with cargo. After sitting for over a decade in Havana, I'll bet there was very little need for ballast in some of those ships.

Don't forget ballast stones have been found far inland. A rock like this would have been a rare treasure to a Florida indian, for use as a tool of some kind...we don't have rocks in Florida. Maybe they salvaged some/all of them?

not trying to hijack the thread but we are LOADED with coral and local cherts here in Fl. I have 10 tons of it my back property from over 25 years of digging and diving for artifacts. Our rocks stop south of the Tampa area, but from here and up towards Ga. its loaded with cherts or coastal plains cherts, coral is only found in a few counties

DSC05709-1.jpg

DSC01322.jpg

DSC07345.jpg

DSC07348-1.jpg

coralpile.jpg

DSC09044-1.jpg

DSC05484.jpg

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we don't have rocks in Florida

In Jupiter we have several places where there are natural rock formations. Lots on the beach and I have seen some on the intracoastal that are more than twenty feet tall. Underwater there is rock everywhere.

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
Other than the cherts, most Florida "rock" is some kind of sedimentary deposit. Ballast stones..they're usually round river rocks..round from erosion. They're also harder than most Florida stuff.

BTW, I've gotta ballast stone that washed up on one of our beaches..it's reddish.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Florida rocks are mainly limestone. There are limestone quarries in Hudson and Aripeka that they use for road beds.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
yes there are alot of limestone quarries but there is alot of chert formations in this. In Brooksville there is a huge depsosit of the Ocala chert formation stuff, its kind of grainy but cooks good and knaps ok. lots of artifacts made from it. Florida is an awesome place for the cherts and corals, just not alot of different agates and jaspers like other states, but we do have some. There is alot of English flints that were used for ballast stone but most rivers have a good deposit of a compressed algea that the indians and the flint knappers today loves, flakes good needs no heat and found pretty easy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread