two ships of Piet Heyn

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
After study now a lot of the Lucayan beach coins, it is clear that every piece with the vislible (or partial) Assayer Mark has a "D" on it ([FONT=&quot]1618-1634, full name unfortunly unknown) or the mint mark of Mexico or the correct date for the period of Assayer D! But also all coins with non vissible marks on it are in same style wich is evidense that they are too from assayer D.
The only other mentioned ship wich sunk in this area was the Ramedios wich sunk 1624 wich makes it simply impossible to have 1628 coins on board...
Now, if there are so many coins of the assayer D to find on this wreck, this means that it comes clearly from a year production and so from the pirated spanish treasure galleons!
For me, there is no "licence plate" for one of Piet Heins lost ships needed after so much evidense and I think the guys from Spink&Son
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot](or the researchers who worked for them) did a great job here !! ;-)

For me it is clear - we HAVE a real pirate tresure here :-) .... and reason enough to buy more of this coins :-)[/FONT][/FONT]

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Since Piet Heyn put a Dutch prize-crew on board of these two ships there should have been some indication in the items salvaged that these two wrecks were sailed by Dutchmen . Nothing of the kind has been found . So we may assume that the salvage done so far is from different ships . I think the two wrecks are still there . Cornelius

If the wreck lies just in 12 feet or 3,5 meters under water, do you have any idea what all this storms in the last 400 years did to the wreck and to the lighter pieces like pottery etc. ?! If you have 4 meter wafes there, you can see in the wave valleys the bottom of the sea! Poor Wreck I say :-)
This stuff is scatted everywere but no longer in the area of the coins and may a lot of stuff lies still there heavy encrusted and now part of a reef.
The coins was in heavy chests and they was stored (for keeping the balance) still at the bottom of the ship and sometimes it was simply exchanged with the balast stones if the cargo was too heavy (see- Atocha silver bars). If a ship breaks apart, wood parts and lighter pieces floats away in storms while sediments and stuff gets floated into the lower ship parts and cover (and safe) the coins chest. A reason why they ave found huge clumbs of coins wich corroded together while the chest is rotting away under the sediments! Otherwise if the chests rotting away or get destroyed before they corroding together, you find a much larger field of single coins. You see all that on the atocha. They found the silver bars and coin clumbs still in chest chape directly over the the bottom of the ship (or the remainings of it). But the atocha lies a little bit deeper and thats the reason why other stuff is found this area too.
So if no evidense of a "dutch" crew or ship is to find there, is not an evidense at all that it was not a dutch ship!

Tom_Restorer

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Found the name of assayer D in Mexico. It is Diego de Godoy 1618-1634

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread