For the Treasure Coast folks: More beach renourishment?

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I ran across this today. It appears that beach renourishment is not working out. It certainly took them long enough to figure this out.
I found this statement "If the county were to cease battling erosion, he said, barrier island properties would face threats from the ocean, and values would plunge as would tax revenues." to be rather interesting. We taxpayers are paying for this debacle for the purpose of increasing tax revenues...seems circular to me. I am personally in favor of letting the natural processes of nature destroy or build sandbars wherever needed. Building a structure on a sandbar...maybe not a good long-term plan.
More concerning (to me) is the idea of Indian River County being able to block 1715 Fleet salvors access to permitted salvage areas because of new anti-erosion barriers.
The link to the story is below.

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — Orchid Mayor Richard Dunlop and Indian River Shores Mayor Tom Cadden are expected to meet with county beach advisers in coming weeks to help choose a computer model that could show how various anti-erosion structures could work on the county's beaches.

That was the informal consensus Monday after a three-hour workshop in which county commissioners, the county's five mayors and the Beach and Shore Preservation Advisory Committee discussed how to afford the battle with erosion as the chance of state and federal aid washes away.

"What we're doing is painting the beach (with new sand) every five years. ... And we don't have the money," Commissioner Joe Flescher said.

Dunlop, Cadden and the mayors of Vero Beach, Sebastian and Fellsmere have been discussing the idea since May of switching from multimillion-dollar sand projects, which have to be repeated periodically, to more permanent structures, such as the Prefabricated Erosion-Prevention Reef off Humiston Park.

Dunlop said Orchid and the other cities were willing to split costs with the county on a computer-based study of which structure would work best.

"We'll step up to the plate, like we stepped up for Piper Aircraft," Dunlop said, referring to the county, cities and the state rallying around a $32 million incentive package in 2009 to keep Piper in Vero Beach. "In fact, this is more natural (cause) in the long term than Piper."

If the county were to cease battling erosion, he said, barrier island properties would face threats from the ocean, and values would plunge as would tax revenues.

The county in 1996 installed the PEP Reef structures for $2 million. The 200 units, each with a base of 6 feet by 15 feet, were placed in two staggered rows for 3,000 feet from the Village Spires south to Humiston Park. They were placed 200 to 300 feet offshore at depths of 7 to 9 feet.

Early on, state and federal regulators gave low marks to the structure because it settled in the sand and didn't stop wave energy from reaching the beach. But it nevertheless did help rebuild the beach, the mayors have said.

"My mind goes around in circles on that, and we don't even know if the PEP Reef works," County Commissioner Wesley Davis said.

County Coastal Engineer James Gray said sand replacement is the only solution that actually adds sand from outside local beaches. Any structure, he said, only retains sand on one beach at the expense of another.

CAN THE COUNTY GET A PERMIT FOR ANOTHER PEP REEF?

Michael Walther, president of Coastal Technology Corp., Vero Beach: "It's an open case, but it's considered very, very difficult to do."

Prof. Gary Zarillo, oceanographer, Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne: "In my opinion, it's permittable."

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/sep/19/indian-river-county-officials-continue-search/

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008
Hummmmm---our TAX $$$$ @ work !!!!!
These are the same commission guys who agreed to spend millions to Truck Sand from a sand mine W of us (Wabasso Beach ), rather than have another Co. pump the sand from the reef area. Yes, we have erosion, BUT I agree leave things be for 6/9 years and see what happens. AND, besides-who in their right mind would build so close to the surf line, anyway ??????

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Despite $16.2 million set aside by state to fight beach erosion, Indian River won't get any of it in 2012

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jun/18/despite-162-million-set-aside-by-state-to-fight/?print=1

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — About $16.2 million set aside to fight beach erosion on the Treasure Coast and statewide survived Gov. Rick Scott's vetoes this year, despite his early budget suggestion to chop all beach dollars.

Indian River County's shoreline projects won't be benefiting from the state money in the 2012 budget year, however.

Only the top 12 projects ranked by the state Department of Environmental Protection received state money. Ranked 28th, Indian River County's top project — a $6.375 million request for 6.1 miles of nourishment from John's Island north to Ambersand Beach — won't get state assistance this year.

The state did meet Martin County's request for $2.96 million to add sand to 4.2 beachfront miles from the St. Lucie County border south to Indian River Plantation. The budget also spells out $890,000 for a 1.3-mile St. Lucie County project just south of the Fort Pierce Inlet.

"We worked hard, and the Legislature worked hard to make sure there was funding for beaches," said Lisa Armbruster, a government affairs representative from the lobby group Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association. "It's pretty good, given the situation."

The $16.2 million allocation still is only about half of what beaches historically receive. The program is largely funded by documentary stamp taxes, which are levied on sales or transfers of real estate, and that revenue is down this year, Armbruster said. But with various federal-state-local cost sharing agreements, state contributions secured $26.5 million in federal and $15.5 million in local dollars for beach projects in the 2012 budget year, she said.

In Indian River County, the Wabasso project from John's Island to Ambersand Beach has had a tough time moving up the state waiting line, since it doesn't draw federal dollars. The state and local governments share costs evenly on the DEP 28th-ranked project, said county Coastal Engineer James Gray Jr.

Because of sea turtle nesting season, that project will wrap up in May. Local projects can continue applying for state dollars up to three years after they've been finished, so Indian River has a few more shots for reimbursement, Gray said.

"I'm optimistic we'll get funding, but there are a lot of local governments in the same boat looking for funding," Gray said.

The project south of the Fort Pierce Inlet uses about 78 percent federal, and 11 percent in both state and local money, said St. Lucie County Coastal Engineer Richard Bouchard.

The county hadn't heard definitively about state or federal dollars, so it decided to complete a $1.4 million emergency project in April, dumping sand on 1,700 feet of "sand-starved" shoreline south of the inlet, Bouchard said. A month later, state allocations held up through the veto process, and the Army Corps of Engineers announced it'd give St. Lucie $6.1 million and Martin $6 million for their projects.

"The erosion near the Fort Pierce Inlet was getting significantly bad, and we felt like we needed to get a Band-Aid out there," he said. "Now, by golly, it looks like it's going to pan out with state and federal funds."

A second, newer St. Lucie project ranked 23rd by DEP won't receive state assistance in 2011-12, despite a $9.4 million request for state money. The initiative will build up 3.6 miles of shoreline, stretching from the Florida Power & Light Co. nuclear plant south to the Martin County line.

St. Lucie coastal engineers started applying for federal dollars for the project last May, and the lengthy application process is tentatively slated for completion in spring 2012, Bouchard said. Federal projects generally move up the state funding list quicker, too, he said.

The South Hutchinson Island project in Martin, which ranked fourth on the DEP list, received $6 million federal and $2.96 million from the state, as requested. That nourishment initiative is run half on federal dollars, and half on a split of state and local contributions.

"I think we understand that the governor, while he initially put zero (dollars) during his learning process, learned that beach projects are a part of nurturing the economy in Florida," said Don Donaldson, director of the county's coastal engineering department.

FIGHTING BEACH EROSION

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection has ranked 50 local government funding requests for projects to combat beach erosion. The top 12 were funded for 2011-12, including projects in Martin and St. Lucie counties.

The following are the Treasure Coast projects' rankings for state funds, and their requests from the state in FY 2012:

No. 4: Martin County Shore Protection Project: awarded request of $2,957,258.

No. 10: Fort Pierce Shore Protection Project: awarded request of $890,000.

No. 21: Town of Jupiter Island's Beach Nourishment: requested $1,392,258.

No. 23: South St. Lucie County Beach Restoration: requested $9,429,265.

No. 28: Indian River County's Wabasso Beach Restoration: requested $6,375,000.

No. 47: Martin County's Sailfish Point Nourishment (design): requested $31,500.

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
The Florida and shore protection group is nothing but front..a lobbying group for dredging interests. A true BS organization. Our "coastal engineers" (sic) are, in my opinion, incompetent. I got Martin County to invite Dr. Zirillo to speak on behalf of true professionals who understand beach mechanics...possibly the first time academia has been included to provide input into this fools folly of a project. Hopefully professionals such as Dr. Zirillo will inject new thinking into the walking corpses who support dredging crap from the ocean floor onto our beaches.

Our beaches and inlets have been grossly mismanaged by government interests, and the renourishment efforts proposed by both the Corps of Engineers and the Beach and shore flunkies are absolutely ruinous to our once beautiful beaches.

OP
OP
ropesfish

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One of the best professors I have studied under is Dr. Iver Duedall, the former chairman of the Environmental Science and Oceanography Department at FIT. Dr. Duedall also believed that "beach renourishment" is at least a waste of money, if not an environmentally irresponsible action. It may be worthwhile to contact him if the opportunity ever arises to do battle against this type of project. He lives in Melbourne and has retired from teaching at FIT. Great guy, a good communicator that inspired students and really knows his stuff. He's also a fan of offshore drilling and disagrees with the entire "man-made global warming" crowd. My kind of academic!
The result of putting dredged sand on beaches is visible on Google Earth. That nasty brown sediment that fouls the water out to a distance of 3-10 yards was paid for with tax dollars. In the satellite photos you can watch it washing out to sea to return to it's rightful place as muddy bottom sediment. Some shrimp probably will welcome it back.

Brief bio:
Dr. Iver W. Duedall: received his PhD from Dalhousie University. His research experience includes physical chemistry, marine chemistry and marine pollution. He has been director and coordinator of more than 15 research projects and is author and/or co-author of more than 70 scientific publications, including 16 books. He is the American editor for Chemistry and Ecology and associate editor of Journal of Marine Environmental Engineering.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone find out what the people from treasure island did on the west coast of florida to get the feds to ban beach re-nourishment there and we can all band together and get it banned on the east coast.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dune home? I've just seen it on the Internet. Hard for me to imagine someone wanting to build a house down under a dune, it looks to me more like a bomb shelter, with windows showing through the sand. Anyway, man made dunes will never compare with those sculpted by nature...even if you decide to live in them.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess they are not a real dune, just made to look like one. Here is a YouTube video of a dune house.

Attachments

• dunehouse.jpg
    dunehouse.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 294

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
FISHEYE said:
Someone find out what the people from treasure island did on the west coast of florida to get the feds to ban beach re-nourishment there and we can all band together and get it banned on the east coast.

Works for me. Unfortunately, our "coastal engineers" have their nose so far up the Corps of engineers they aren't capable of exploring other options. Even our county engineer supports the "beach and coastline" organization in Tallahassee which is nothing but a lobbyist for the dredging companies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions