Any Florida West Coast Shipwreck info. avail.?

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
hope everyone is doing good. i am intrested in researching old shipwrecks on the florida west coast. is there any books you all can recommend? being a novice at shipwreck finding is there certain steps you all take to find one? i know each situation is different but do you follow a paticular research pattern? thanks for all the great advise and help everyone..take care.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
I learned a lesson when I discovered the Cedar Key wreck ( close to cedar key and not at cedar key ) . I was interrogate by ,, the State ,, and was allowed to give all up to ,, the State .. or be charged . Now the way I think , ,, the State ,, salvaged the remainder of the wreck ( or had somebody do this for them guided by my information ) or the couple from Texas ( rich people ) did the cleanup on the wreck . Some of my friends in Florida did some checking but could not find any ramainders of a wreck . My idea now is to act like a pirate and do not trust anybody but your close friends . Cornelius

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Aquanut . You have two pontoon boats . Rig one of them with a proper cabin that sleeps two . With a proper instrument panel and steering . If you can do that I will spend three months on the gulf , north to north west of the Marquesas keys . Maybe someone will join me but not necessarely . I will pay for the fuel and my own groceries . I will bring my ROV and PI Metal detector with the 1 meter square coil ( for canon and anchors ) . I will be free after August 2012 . See what you can do . Cornelius

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the state of florida archies that are supposed to issue the "permits" do not deal with "clean hands"--its a rigged game they play -- they will issue the first 2 permits no sweat --the looking for a wreck #1 "search" permit and the found a interesting site --#2 "exploration permit" but when its time for you to get the goods off the bottom to recoup your invested money and turn a profiet at last --the #3 "salvage" permit will be denied for one reason or another count on it --but thru the information gained thru permitting process and the required "reports" the state will now know all about your site .

if you do not believe me try it and see for yourself.

thru the state archies actions they are forcing basically honest salvage type folks that want to do things legally -into having to go outlaw and become pirates or see their dreams of recovering treasure from the sea die. --tis a damn shame what their doing to folks.

billfishbelize

Jun 21, 2010
central america
Detector(s) used
fisher cz-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK boys, Having grown up in Sarasota, and now living in Belize, I now own a 40' tri cabin Trawler. I might be interested in hooking up with you two. Aquanut,arent you in Guate? Cornelius are you in the Netherlands? If you are still in Gautemala, We can bring the boat back to Fl.Together. Are you both divers as I am? The route of the Spanish treasure ships that left Mexico ran damn near due west until they saw the coast(around the big bend area) then they tuned South and held West coast until the Tortugas then across the Gulf stream to Habana. Many of these vessels disapeared on this route and have never been heard of again ,I know they are in the shallow waters of the Gulf. Another possibility is in waters about two miles West of where the Macgruder is working the Atocha trail and they have no rights beyond that imaginary line according to the Feds. I am really sure the gun deck and whats left of the stern castle is out of bounds and in this area. This is not something that I assume, but more of an educated guess. I have dove on the Atocha site on the Macgruder and the general concensus of the divers agree with me. At this site would have to be a clandestine operation. I also think that any wreck found ,we would have to keep Fl.&Feds out. Talk to me.BB

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
billfishbelize,
I'm still in Florida, however stay tuned. I've a few projects in the works. One of which you might be interested in.
I'll get back to you...
Aquanut

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
scubaozzy said:
hope everyone is doing good. i am intrested in researching old shipwrecks on the florida west coast. is there any books you all can recommend? being a novice at shipwreck finding is there certain steps you all take to find one? i know each situation is different but do you follow a paticular research pattern? thanks for all the great advise and help everyone..take care.

but did you guys have any info that would help me? thanks

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
cornelis 816 said:
Would you give money away when we asked you ? This may be the answer to your question . Cornelius

once again this forum and post is hijacked by the chest thumpers of todays treasure hunters that we all know so well in here. conelius, NOBODY asked YOU for your top secret files. it was a simple question for books anyone has read (not your top secret books) that one can start looking for wrecks on the west coast. from my understanding this was still a forum to ask questions and get answers but maybe i am mistaken?

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Yes yes I know . All you want is some possible locations of wrecks , being from books or by research done by other parties . My answer is simple . If things are known people will go after the information known . Most of us are not wanting to share anything we found out by research or old documents we have . Sorry but you have to do work yourself to find out what we know . No hard feelings though just common sence . Cornelius

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Scubaozzy,
There is very little info on Florida's Gulf coast wrecks because the survivors of the shipwrecks were for the most part killed and or eaten by the Indians. Some of the best info probably lies in the GPS's of local fishermen.
Aquanut

humble

May 26, 2011
Although you may want to take the stories with a grain of salt, you will find mention of numerous Florida west coast shipwrecks in Thomas Terry's Treasure Atlas, volume 3, which are excerpts from the Library of Congress.

Another starting point is "Lost Treasure of Florida's Gulf Coast" by L Frank Hudson & Gordon R Prescott, published by Great Outdoors publishing co.

I found evidence of a Shipwreck near Money Bayou, in the Florida panhandle and purchased research from Hudson. His location of a Spanish shipwreck was spot on. I was surprised, and impressed.

There are no doubt hundreds of Treasure shipwrecks on the west coast resulting from Pirate and Indian attacks which you will not find any research on. Archives will just say, Lost.

I'll be going to Florida west coast in 3 weeks to search for physical evidence, and plot the locations of shallow water shipwreck anomalies. If I am successful, and I can't find a sponsor before then I may offer information for sale to help cover my expenses. humble

OP
OP
scubaozzy

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
thank you aquanut and humble, i am a history buff of ww2 wrecks and have dove plenty of them on the gulf side from books i have read. about 3 years ago i got into older shipwrecks but have been limited on reading material for the west coast (there is plenty for the east coast). i am not looking for anyones hard earned info, i was just asking about books to read on west coast wrecks. thanks again.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
aquanut said:
Scubaozzy,
There is very little info on Florida's Gulf coast wrecks because the survivors of the shipwrecks were for the most part killed and or eaten by the Indians. Some of the best info probably lies in the GPS's of local fishermen.
Aquanut

:wink:

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I think i found a good 1- one time .It was so good the state managed to get a dredge and pump 10ft of sand back over it again ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread