Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Hello fellow treasure hunters,

As a local history buff, writer and founder of the local history club I have
arranged a couple history seminars based on the 1715 fleet this month. Our next
one is on Sept 21st. See PR below. Just prior to that on the 20th I will be
hosting an internet radio show that I am inviting call ins to. I will post more
details and ask you all some questions I have.

If anyone is in the area, I'd like to invite them to join us on this date.

September 21st, 6:30 to 8 p.m. part 2 special program marks the 30th anniversary of the great heist of 1976. Robbery at Museum of Sunken Treasure" in Cape Canaveral exceeded 3/4 million dollars. Includes viewing a film at Cape Canaveral Library entitled "Three Fathoms to A Fortune" about treasure hunter Kip Wagner and the 1715 salvage operations and the grand opening of the treasure museum in the building now kown as "Fairvilla" (an adult store on Thurm Ave) . Members of the Real Eight Corporation and others familiar with the museum are invited to informal discussion. Joan Green a docent from Mel Fisher's Museum in Sebastian will give a "Show and Tell" of actual artifacts from the wreck sites of the 1715 plate fleet.

201 Polk Avenue Cape Canaveral Florida.
321-243-8097

[email protected]

Copy of Online Story of the "Treasure at Cape Canaveral"
http://countygovt.brevard.fl.us/history/documents/06spring-summer.pdf
"Scroll to first story"

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Was that 1976 robbery at the Museum of Sunken Treasure in Cocoa Beach? I thought it was earlier than that. I never heard much else about that, especially once Mel Fisher found the Atocha motherload. I will be in the Keys on the 21st, or I would try to go to that. If a storm is coming I just might be there, no diving in the Keys then! Steve.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ourhistory153 wrote: September 21st, 6:30 to 8 p.m. part 2 special program marks ........

Hey, when was part 1 and why weren't we invited??

I would like to participate in future seminars. I give a great presentation and have been doing so for 10 years.

http://www.seminolechronicle.com/vnews/display.v?TARGET=printable&article_id=42a913b662976

http://www.seminolechronicle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/18/437d1e03ba251?in_archive=1

I always heard that the burglary of the Real 8 museum was an inside job. They took all their own treasure plus what the insurance company paid them. Funny it happened in 1976 , about the time the company went belly up. Can't recall who told me this. So many stories over the years.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Sorry about part 1, but I just learned of this group after going
down several pages in a Google search.

I would like to invite anybody here and interested, on my radio show
next week (The 20th 1:pm to 3:pm). It is internet radio so people from
all over the world will be listening and interacting with our chat forum.

Ideally I would like to find someone who has some digital
artifacts that we can show on the website and let them call
in and talk about it on the air.

I have to organize it though as we can't have people calling
in while others are presenting. If you have something you
would like to show and tell via internet radio send me email
to [email protected] I will be working up a time sheet
for when the callers should call in.

The radio station is
http://www.tropicwaveradio.net/ in case you want to go and
scout it out and familarize yourself with the terrain. If anybody
ask ya in chat or whatever just tell them ourhistory sent ya.

gdaddyflex said:
Ourhistory153 wrote: September 21st, 6:30 to 8 p.m. part 2 special program marks ........

I would like to participate in future seminars. I give a great presentation and have been doing so for 10 years.

http://www.seminolechronicle.com/vnews/display.v?TARGET=printable&article_id=42a913b662976

http://www.seminolechronicle.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/11/18/437d1e03ba251?in_archive=1

I always heard that the burglary of the Real 8 museum was an inside job. They took all their own treasure plus what the insurance company paid them. Funny it happened in 1976 , about the time the company went belly up. Can't recall who told me this. So many stories over the years.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I remember this, but I thought it was a few years earlier. This is the big black building in Cocoa Beach just North of the pier right? The museum of Sunken treasure? It was thought to be an inside job. One of the real 8 divers quit to pursue a shipwreck in the Florida Keys at the same exact day as the missing gold-shall remain nameless since it was never proven, but it was a coincedence. My dad used to deal with the Real 8 co a lot, and I used to take stuff over to the museum on the weekends with his van and take my buddies and surf at Sebastian Inlet.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeah, I think I will attend. Hope to see some of you guys there! ;D

Also, don't forget:

The Real Pirates of the Caribbean:
The Underwater Archaeology of Port Royal

An Illustrated lecture by Robert Marx
Tuesday, October 10 at 7:00 p.m.

Brevard Museum of Art and Scienc1463 Highland Avenue
Melbourne, FL 32935
321-242-0737

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "Real Eight" had a museum in Satellite Beach at one time near the corner of Jackson and A1A, as I recall.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
Tom

Thats great to see Bob Marx is back on the circuit, I wish I was in the US for that, something I would not miss if I was in the USA.

Sadly I am about as far away as you can get, here in Melbourne, I think Bob lives in Melbourne , in Florida. Well me I am in Melbourne , Australia these days. Commuting back and fore between Shanghai, Xiamen and Australia.

But for you guys there I would recommend that go and see a true legend in our business.

Regards

Mike Collins

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
I spoke to Bob the other day and invited him on my internet radio show. So if you want to and
the time is not to difficult you can log on from Melbourne Australia. In fact there is
another author in Australia I have invited to the show. She did some historical research
and wrote a story about Melbourne founder C.J. Hector. I will be showing some pictures
of CJ on my radio show.

Cablava said:
Tom

Thats great to see Bob Marx is back on the circuit, I wish I was in the US for that, something I would not miss if I was in the USA.

Sadly I am about as far away as you can get, here in Melbourne, I think Bob lives in Melbourne , in Florida. Well me I am in Melbourne , Australia these days. Commuting back and fore between Shanghai, Xiamen and Australia.

But for you guys there I would recommend that go and see a true legend in our business.

Regards

Mike Collins

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Yes, a guy by the name of Joe Salvo put that exhibit together. It was in leased rooms
from the First National Bank of Satelitte Beach.

More details is in my story in the Indian River Journal.

wreckdiver1715 said:
The "Real Eight" had a museum in Satellite Beach at one time near the corner of Jackson and A1A, as I recall.

OP
OP
ourhistory153

ourhistory153

Sep 11, 2006
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Tom, would you like to be a call in to my radio show Wednesday? If you have any digital
pictures of your artifacts we could show them to the audience and you can talk about
them and how you found them. There is a chatroom there to we can participate in

the Website is
http://www.tropicwaveradio.net/

Tell me if you want to so I can book you into a time frame. My show goes from 1:pm to 4:p.m.

I have invited Bob Marx and he may call in as well. I am trying to find Tommy Wagner to see
if he would like to call in. His dad "Kip" seemed like a man of good character and passion to
help the public understand this history. Tommy might have some interesting insights into
Kip.

Anyhow send me your email address to [email protected] so I can plan all this. I want
to get a variety of stories from various salvors, docents and historians.

gdaddyflex said:

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rex Stocker is the Grandson of Kip Wagner, and he is still active in shipwreck hunting along the Florida coast. He is also the guy that found the famous Golden Dragon.

Tom

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I remember hearing about a museum robbery. Was this the only one, or was there another later robbery at a different museum at a later date on the Treasure Coast, in the eighties maybe?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Will there be a recording of this that we can listen to later?

Best to you,
Darren

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Well my friends this will be a good place to meet everyone.
I WILL BE THERE.
With my electric scooter ;D
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren, I don't know if they archive their shows on tropicalwave.net, but I had a friend record it. I can get you a copy later on.

I had to call in to the show from work, so there was a little bit of feed back where you could hear me listening along on my computer as I was talking. I was hoping to get more questions about the missing 1715 wrecks but it was an interesting show nonetheless.

I did a similar call on Scuba Radio several years ago and I think they do keep an archive.

I hope to see some of you TreasureNet guys at the seminar tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread