is a gold dredge off fl beachs legal ?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They would look at it like using a blower, you are not supposed to dredge the seabed.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Yes i tried to run a trash pump in a ditch in Florida,just to help uncover some bottles on the banks..Well my thinking was i could use the water in the ditch with a small spray nozzle on the hose & blow dirt away from the bottles save some damage from diggin .The cops show up & tell me how i'm making the ditch wider :icon_scratch: - it was a drainage ditch?WTH Good luck do it a night & hope no 1 see's ya

OP
OP
G

goldhunter_2

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the reply's

aquanut ,
the answer is No if you want to do anything in Florida unfortunately seems to be pretty universal .... >:(

stevemc ,
ok thanks, I thought others big company's have done the suction dredges or blow holes before?

RELICDUDE07 ,
I wasn't thinking of a water jet but a suction dredge off shore in waters form 6' to 60' but I am not looking for anything I have to sneak around at night for ... lol

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permits from the EPA and permits from the Army Corps of Engineeers would be needed just to use the unit.

and then there's this
-Digging for artifacts on state lands without a permit from DHR is a third degree felony (Chapters 267.061 and 267.12-13, Florida Statutes, and Rule 1A-32 of the Florida Administrative Code)

So just last Friday while we honored those that serve/served to preserve that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." we have a select group of other "men" that believe otherwise.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, if you have permission to excavate a wreck, you can use dredges, blowers, air lifts and fire hoses, but if you are not permitted, you cant.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
When was the last permit to salvage a wreck given to a "for profit" organization? and I don't mean renewals of those grandfathered in... My understanding is that none have been issued for over 15 years, with no change expected in the future. Therefore, the answer is still NO!
Aquanut

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disturbing the ocean or a lake bottom is a crime without a permit.Yet a storm can move tons a sand.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats because mother nature doesn't ask --it does what it wants to , plus they can't arrest her -- was told no permits would ever be allowed for the nassau sound area 1715 era salvage "barcolonga" wreck site because it might "disturb" the sea bottom of the "aquatic preserve area" -- note * it says both on a 1769 sea chart as well as on modern sea chart of the area - to not rely on the channels marked on the map as the "bottom" is constantly "shifting" and unstable plus the us army corp of enginners has done "beach renourishment" projects in the past there -- removing sand from offshore and "pumping" it onto the beach - brother if thats not "disturbing" the ocean bottom what is?--- I was told the only way the wrecks would be "permitted" for harvest was if I "joined" forces with a college to apply for permits where the college and state get all the goods harvested from said wreck and I get to "write a book / make a film" about it -- uh the title of the book / movie I guess would be =="how I found a shipwreck and got screwed royally by the state of florida" --I was told that "project funding" could be found via " govt grants" if I choose to work with them-- I choose not to work with such scummy tricksters.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seafarer got a salvage permit recently to work thier juno beach wreck.

saltydog1733

Feb 11, 2009
The Seafarer agreement is not a new one, just a renewal on an existing admiralty site. And I don't believe it will be renewed once it expires.

While goldhunter_2 probably doesn't has a chance in Hades of getting any sort of a permit, I would encourage him to apply to the state and other agencies anyway. You never know what the answer may be, or the ramifications.

Salty

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seafarer got a salvage permit recently to work thier juno beach wreck,i heard from the grapevine that the site was cleaned out in the 60's by another group.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread