Wreck of Morgan flagship Oxford

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello all treasure hunting fellows,

As you probably know from my former posts and answers, I live and dive mainly in Dominican Republic and I am interested in all the pirates stories and wrecks in Dominican waters for years. Regarding Henry Morgan, it is well known that he had from time to time his operational base in island of Saona, close to the southern coast of DR. On several occassions he used this island as a randevous or meeting point with other fellow pirates, especially before some large expedition. It was also mentioned in famous Exqemelin book, for example.

Regarding Morgan 's flagship "Oxford ", it was believed that it had been sunk in other operational base of Henry Morgan which was in actual territory of Haiti, to be more precise, in Ille de Vache (Cow Island). The place itself is called for centuries "Port Morgan". Today it is a small bay with a hotel operated by a French enterpreneur. US based famous subsea research company SubSea Research was behind "Oxford" for a long time. I was in short contact with them. As I know they have their explore ship stationed in Port Morgan now. The problem is that unstable Haitian government gives you explore permit one day and they take it off you the other day. Cow Island is very interesting from the point of view of treasure wrecks anyway. There are said to be more than 200 sunken old ships on the reef outside the Cow Island. Famous Barry Clifford went to Ille de Vache as I know, too in the hunt for Oxford but he did not succeeded. One Swiss explorer and treasure hunter, Klaus Keppler with his company Sea explorer AG claims that he found Oxford there couple of years ago but it is not true. What he found there could be "Jamaica Merchant ", other Morgan' s ship but even this is doubtful. So, to make long story short, nobody has found "Oxford " yet which is strange because searching area is about 500 x 500 square meters with the depth between 5 and 10 meters. It has always been natuarl harbor for pirate ships. There are plenty of artifacts on the bottom of the bay in Port Morgan but no "Oxford ".

I have heard recently from more than one source that "Oxford " could be sunk just off the shore of Saona Island. There are couple of sunken pirate ships there (historically documented but never found so far because nobody was searching for them). Saona Island served for many years as a favourite pirate base where they were waiting for Spanish ships and convoys leaving or coming to close Santo Domingo harbor.

So, my friends, any help or your opinion would be more than appreciated........
Lobo

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello,

I love Morgan my self.....he was all around the Carribean and used many of the small Islands to hide and hide his treasure.....I also enjoy doing research on him but you know how pirates stories are......On the "Oxford" I will give you a tip..... try more Central America on the Atlantic side....There was a place that he liked allot......he liked it because it had many reefs, keys and small islands but he knew those waters like the palm of his hands.

All the best,

Chagy.........

Attachments

• Jack_potc2_11.jpg
    Jack_potc2_11.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Jack_potc2_11.jpg
    Jack_potc2_11.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 324

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a tip on Morgan too. On his return trip to Port Royal after sacking Panama he stopped at Goat Island to stash some of his loot. This is just S. of Jamaica. There is supposed to be a cave on the island with gold bars stacked up. One of the locals told me that the island is off limits and gunboats patrol the area.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chagy said:
Hello,

I love Morgan my self.....he was all around the Carribean and used many of the small Islands to hide and hide his treasure.....I also enjoy doing research on him but you know how pirates stories are......

Is that an actual photo of Morgan that you found in your reseach, Chagy? Amazing ;D

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
salvor 6 said:
I have a tip on Morgan too. On his return trip to Port Royal after sacking Panama he stopped at Goat Island to stash some of his loot. This is just S. of Jamaica. There is supposed to be a cave on the island with gold bars stacked up. One of the locals told me that the island is off limits and gunboats patrol the area.

Hello Salvor 6,

Thanks for the tip, I have never heard about Goat Island. I will check it out. Did anybody tryd to go there to find the cave?

Regards
Lobo

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Chagy,

Did you mean "...Central America on the Atlantic side " may be costal areas of Panama or Honduras?

Thanks anyway, also for your email. We will stay in touch.
Regards

Lobo

Chagy said:
Hello,

I love Morgan my self.....he was all around the Carribean and used many of the small Islands to hide and hide his treasure.....I also enjoy doing research on him but you know how pirates stories are......On the "Oxford" I will give you a tip..... try more Central America on the Atlantic side....There was a place that he liked allot......he liked it because it had many reefs, keys and small islands but he knew those waters as the palm of his hands.

All the best,

Chagy.........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Darren in NC said:
Chagy said:
Hello,

I love Morgan my self.....he was all around the Carribean and used many of the small Islands to hide and hide his treasure.....I also enjoy doing research on him but you know how pirates stories are......

Is that an actual photo of Morgan that you found in your reseach, Chagy? Amazing ;D

Hey Buddy,

Naa........thats the way I picture my self.....remember, what is the strangest secret? You become what you think about all day!!!! ;)

Best,

Chagy.........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bobadilla said:
Hello Chagy,

Did you mean "...Central America on the Atlantic side " may be costal areas of Panama or Honduras?

Thanks anyway, also for your email. We will stay in touch.
Regards

Lobo

Chagy said:
Hello,

I love Morgan my self.....he was all around the Carribean and used many of the small Islands to hide and hide his treasure.....I also enjoy doing research on him but you know how pirates stories are......On the "Oxford" I will give you a tip..... try more Central America on the Atlantic side....There was a place that he liked allot......he liked it because it had many reefs, keys and small islands but he knew those waters as the palm of his hands.

All the best,

Chagy.........

Just a little bit more to the north ;D ;)

Chagy.......

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Lobo, there was an old man that lived on Goat Island and searched for the cave. He found a branch overhanging a cliff with an old deadeye at the base. He thought it was used to hoist the gold up. The cave entrance is blocked by a landslide. A buddy of mine found a wreck with gold coins at Morant Cay.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Chagy, from your description of the C.A. country shrouded in islands and reefs, I know where you are talking about. Just got back from diving there, there are still many interesting things under those waters. A few guys here told me the area was all hunted out...I do hope they keep thinking that :D We FOUND a wreck that wasn't on any map that I have seen yet, and we found good stuff too. We didn't even have a blower on site, just two divers with MD's, scoops, and ping pong paddles. A salvage permit has been submitted but not approved by the local government. It's a short day trip from Ambergris Caye, so the environment is pleasant out of the water as well. :) You never know...here's a tip, talk to your local lobster hunters! They generally know every inch of sea bed in their area. These guys put me on anchors with no GPS, and directly over timbers by just looking back at the shore a few times. Based on the remoteness of the unidentified wreck, I'm betting these guys are the only ones that know it's there

Jason

OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello Chagy,

I could proudly say that I was probably right, wasn' t I? Look at my yesterday personal email to you before Scuba Seeker posted this one ........

Best regards,
Lobo

ScubaSeeker said:
Hey Chagy, from your description of the C.A. country shrouded in islands and reefs, I know where you are talking about. Just got back from diving there, there are still many interesting things under those waters. A few guys here told me the area was all hunted out...I do hope they keep thinking that :D We FOUND a wreck that wasn't on any map that I have seen yet, and we found good stuff too. We didn't even have a blower on site, just two divers with MD's, scoops, and ping pong paddles. A salvage permit has been submitted but not approved by the local government. It's a short day trip from Ambergris Caye, so the environment is pleasant out of the water as well. :) You never know...here's a tip, talk to your local lobster hunters! They generally know every inch of sea bed in their area. These guys put me on anchors with no GPS, and directly over timbers by just looking back at the shore a few times. Based on the remoteness of the unidentified wreck, I'm betting these guys are the only ones that know it's there

Jason

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeap!!!! you both got it......I have to look in my notes to see were I got the information...But like I said they are just pirate stories of books...I believe I have 3 locations for the "Oxford"

Chagy.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions