SB 868 - Here is the Florida Tourism Department contact info

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Here is a link to the Florida Tourism Department.

http://www.visitflorida.com/feedback/

This is an agency that should be hammered. They are not technically a government agency but they get most of their funding from tourism taxes.

An interesting item to throw into the mix here is that I regularly search for bills. This bill had NOT shown up in any of my searches until now. It shows up at the top of the list AFTER it has passed the House. What kind of games were being played there?!!

Don't know if it has been stated but the vote in the House was 118 - 0. So after you contact your senator then contact your House representative and BLAST them.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mark S. said:

This is an agency that should be hammered. They are not technically a government agency but they get most of their funding from tourism taxes.

An interesting item to throw into the mix here is that I regularly search for bills. This bill had NOT shown up in any of my searches until now. It shows up at the top of the list AFTER it has passed the House. What kind of games were being played there?!!

Don't know if it has been stated but the vote in the House was 118 - 0. So after you contact your senator then contact your House representative and BLAST them.

i wrote my state senator. sadly, she's just a democrat, so she has no power in committee. Anyone with a republican senator should absolutely write them.

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
This is only the very subtle (although to some, not so subtle) way for the State to start and shut down this industry. It starts off small, an amendment here, a change there, and before you know it, the entire industry will be re-shaped and only the "big boys" will have access to this enterprise, most of them being educational endeavors with "holier than thou" marching orders.

The Odyssey case was the quin-essential catalyst for this movement. It was ruled on legally to set precedent that would forever change what we knew as this industry or those involved and at what entitlement, or lack thereof, was to become the future of treasure hunting and who would be involved.

These pieces of legislation are a testing ground for future changes. And many have seen that the proposed language creates broad interpretation and discretionary tactics of enforcement that will lead to further future amendments, and before you know it, treasure hunting will be illegal in any form or enterprise through private entities.

There is also buzz at the BAR, that certain near future legislation will include retroactive clauses and could be a cause to serve notice of seizures on past finds and claims.

Nothing that has been done or is being talked about on TreasureNet will have any effect. There is no real concentrated or unified effort, or legal challenge at the moment. Letters, no matter how abundant, will not be the kind of numbers that will suffice a reversal of this ideology.

I stated years ago, that only a Federal and State in parallel legal challenge/action, or injunction will work. But to date, not one single line of legal wording has been written, filed or begun to abate the inevitable.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Reef Dawg said:
This is only the very subtle (although to some, not so subtle) way for the State to start and shut down this industry. It starts off small, an amendment here, a change there, and before you know it, the entire industry will be re-shaped and only the "big boys" will have access to this enterprise, most of them being educational endeavors with "holier than thou" marching orders.

The Odyssey case was the quin-essential catalyst for this movement. It was ruled on legally to set precedent that would forever change what we knew as this industry or those involved and at what entitlement, or lack thereof, was to become the future of treasure hunting and who would be involved.

These pieces of legislation are a testing ground for future changes. And many have seen that the proposed language creates broad interpretation and discretionary tactics of enforcement that will lead to further future amendments, and before you know it, treasure hunting will be illegal in any form or enterprise through private entities.

There is also buzz at the BAR, that certain near future legislation will include retroactive clauses and could be a cause to serve notice of seizures on past finds and claims.

Nothing that has been done or is being talked about on TreasureNet will have any effect. There is no real concentrated or unified effort, or legal challenge at the moment. Letters, no matter how abundant, will not be the kind of numbers that will suffice a reversal of this ideology.

I stated years ago, that only a Federal and State in parallel legal challenge/action, or injunction will work. But to date, not one single line of legal wording has been written, filed or begun to abate the inevitable.

OK Reefdawg, is there a lawyer or team of lawyers anywhere sympathetic to the cause of treasure hunters and treasure hunting?? I for one am willing to make a donation to a fund for a lawyer that is willing to fight this type of legislation or lobby the politicos in Tallahassee and beyond. Hell I just became aware that these bills were even in process. Been off the site for a week, get on this morning and BANG !!! Right in the face! Already sent a letter to all 40 state senators. Probably too late at this juncture. Need a lobbyist or national organization that can fight this stuff wherever it rears its ugly head across the county. I know that is a tall order but we got to start somewhere.

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mark S. said:

I sent them an email, Florida bans Beachcombing, addressing the number of people that like to beachcomb and occasionally come across an old coin.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Floria resident and I own a home there. I was planning on retiring there but this law may put a big change to my planes. I sent the email in ,don't know if it will do any good.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past there has been a poster, "bikerlawyer:. Maybe he can shed some light on this issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread