Galleon San Jose and the Hunt for Undersea Treasure

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Forbes Business|2/29/2012

by Cecilia Rodriguez, Contributor

Galleon San Jose and the Hunt for Undersea Treasure

I was amazed to discover recently that a Dickensian legal battle over one of the richest undersea bounties, a battle I first covered years ago in my native Colombia, is still in the courts. I hate to date myself, but we’re talking, uh, decades.

I’m speaking of the Galleon San Jose. The latest chapter came when a federal district court in Washington, D.C., ruled in favor of Colombia’s government against the American company Sea Search Armada (SSA), which was claiming billions of dollars for breach of contract after a tortuous war of contracts, lawsuits and counter-suits over the right to rescue the San Jose from the seabed where it allegedly still rests full of treasures. Current estimates set the value at more than $10 billion.

What SSA Managing Director Jack Harbeston probably wishes most is to be compensated for more than 25 years of frustration, deception, bad faith, mistrust, betrayal, internal squabbles and personal tragedy as many partners and investors lost their fortunes and others died without seeing their dream fulfilled. The list of people involved in the treasure hunt included famous American actors, congressmen, business moguls and government officials to whom SSA had offered 40% profit in return for their investment or support.

“He died from disappointment,” the wife of Jim Banigan, one of the founders who lost his fortune in the search for the galleon, told me. “At the end, he was convinced that if we had found the treasure we would have lost our souls.”

Full of gold, silver, gems and jewelry collected in the South American colonies to be shipped to Spain’s king to help finance his war with the British, the San Jose was sunk in flames in June, 1708 by a British warship, just outside the Port of Cartagena, Colombia.

As it supposedly lay in the dark depths, its fate has been argued over for 300 years by people whose greed, rapacity and ambition have driven them to distraction. First, the Spanish king who anxiously awaited the bounty to help him win the war, then the British military that had planned to capture the ship, not sink it, and make off with its riches.

Since then, the legend of this most valuable treasure in the history of the Western hemisphere has inflamed the imagination of adventurers, investors, politicians and pirates, honest and dishonest men whose projects of easy enrichment have ended in nothing. The disappointment has been no less for the government and citizens of Colombia that for decades have dreamed of helping to resolve many of the country’s problems with the proceeds.

The real irony here? In a post yesterday, I wrote about the riches of another sunken Spanish galleon. Unlike those, you’ll probably never get to see these in any museum. No one apart from SSA has confirmed that the ship even exists. I count myself among the many Colombians who don’t believe it’s still there.

Yet again, the stuff dreams are made of…

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
tumblr_lrp6a2Atud1qmxjbzo1_400.jpg

Game Theory

When the chase becomes the thrill..................

To start, the professor offers to sell the class a $20 bill. Bidding starts at $1 and goes up in $1 increments. The winner pays the professor whatever the high bid was, and gets the $20. Here’s the catch: the second-highest bidder also has to pay, but gets nothing in return.

Typically, a few brave or stupid students — nearly always male — open the bidding but fairly quickly only two bidders remain and they discover they are in a war of attrition. The bidding slows when someone bids $20, but then resumes with neither wanting to “lose.” If the two students are particularly stubborn, prices can go over $50. (The professor typically gives the money to charity, or claims to.)

The dollar auction game was invented by a pioneer of game theory, Martin Shubik of Yale, and it illustrates the concept of “escalation of commitment.” Once people are trapped into playing, they have a hard time stopping. (Consider Vietnam.) The higher the bidding goes, and the more each bidder has invested, the harder it is to say “uncle.” The best advice you can give anyone invited to play this particular game is to decline or
know when to take a dam lost..................

Some games and battles are like that: even when you win, you lose. When you see at the start that such a dynamic is likely, you’re better off just walking away. Or knowing when to take a dam lost.

Best

Indy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions