Old subject???

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I know that this is an OLD SUBJECT but I still cannot find any answers.
The last time I asked this question there was one HECK of a rukus created on this FORUM.
I have several escudo gold coins.
They are ll Escudo.
The marking are very visable and plain to see.
On the back side there is a Large G.
On the right of the shield there is a small "o" over a large "D" and below this there is a ll
The coins weigh in the range of 6.5 grams to 6.8 grams. They are between 7.5" and .80" across.
I already know that they were minted in Granada Spain.
That is as far as I have been able to go.
I have also not found a single coin dealer that has ever sold one or has ever seen one.
Thanks
Peg Leg

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
PegLeg,

Pictures always help! Post some and lets see if we can't figure something out!

Robert in SC

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Robert, I've got a few of the pics here. I assume Peg is talking about the "hammered indian trinkets"...The Trinkets were hammered, not the indians ;)

coins.jpg

Jason

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Yes these are a sample of the Coin trinkets I was talking about.
The one on the top row and to the right when enlarged tells the whole story-to a point. In order to see it better it must be turned 180 degrees so that the shield is facing in the correct position.
The Large G is on the left side.
I do have a FAKE/COPY of one of the coins that I purchased from ebay a while back. The reason for this was I was looking for information about THE REAL COINS and this FAKE/COPY matched what I had.
I even contacted the people in Spain that were trying to raise funds to restore the old Mint.
I understand that there were 2 mints in this town. One was using the old hammer stamping and the Newer one was using a Press mill procress. Many people here seem to be confused over which mint did what.
These coins were hand stamped and NOT pressed.
I have not received a response as yet and untill I give a donation I don't expect one.
Lots of luck.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Somehing I wish to add.
I have not figured out a way to clean these trinkets.
They seem to have rust in bedded in them. To me this was caused by beating with a rusty hammer- However the discolor appears to have been caused by heat. Gold is so soft there would be no need to heat.
These trinkets were recovered about 10' from a place where the Indians were melting silver.
Who knows?
Thanks
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread