Titanic wreck designated as a UNESCO protected site

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
"Previously the Titanic was not eligible for protection under the UNESCO Convention, which only applies to remains submerged for at least 100 years. From now on, States Parties to the Convention can outlaw the destruction, pillage, sale and dispersion of objects found at the site. They can take all possible measures within their power to protect the wreck and ensure that the human remains there are treated with dignity. The 2001 Convention provides for system of cooperation between States Parties, to prevent exploration deemed unscientific or unethical. They also have the authority to seize any illicitly recovered artefacts and close their ports to all vessels undertaking exploration that is not done according to the principles of the Convention. " UNESCO

Titanic wreck designated as a UNESCO protected site - storyful

Sommy

Aug 4, 2007
overseas
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Who owns the site? Is it the shipping line? or did somebody arrest the wreck? Did the wrecksite owners request UNESCO protection? or did the UN just think it was in the wrecksite owner's best interest? I am a little fuzzy on why an international organization would/can take a nation's (non-UNESCO country) property or personal property and say, you can't salvage this anymore.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It always amazes me that unelected bureaucrats can make decisions on behalf of Nation States without consultation and discussion within the various governments.

In the UK the Dutch government were excavating the wreck of the Dutch East Indiaman “Rooswijk” when English Heritage shut the site down under the protection of wrecks act.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/imported-docs/p-t/rooswijkarchaeologicalreportfinalreportwithfigs.pdf

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/imported-docs/p-t/mgmtplan-rooswijkaug09.pdf

The Dutch government own the wreck and their museums want it excavated as it is the most intact collection of artefacts every found on a VOC wreck, but now it is being left to rot and drift away as English Heritage are following the UNESCO convention with regards to in-situ preservation even though they have not signed up to the agreement.

With regards to the Titanic it interests me how the fascination with this one particular wreck has been maintained over so many years.

In Belfast this year they are having a Titanic Festival http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/titanic/docs/TitanicBelfastFestival2012events.pdf , that is a bit of a funny one, celebrating with a festival what was essentially just a failure of design, bad seamanship and huge loss of life, but I hope they all have a great time, as any excuse for a party is always good for the soul.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just goes to show that the archies would rather have no one do anything, no matter how respectful, the jealous junk yard dogs that they are.

That's their true colors.

Remember, they're government funded.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
I will post here what I posted on Subarch a couple of days ago, regarding this very same article:

"I wonder why Unesco is claiming this because:

1) the Titanic lies in international waters;

2) not a single country "that matters" on this affair has ratified the
Convention yet (the US, where RMS Titanic is registered; the UK, where the
vessel was registered, and both France and Russia that provide the means to
reach the wrecksite);

3) the Titanic was sunk on April the 15th, so we are still a few days short of the 100th year mark.

If Unesco really, really, wants to protect some wrecks, maybe they should start with the Portuguese ships that are far more older and are being plundered everyday
in Mozambique - as we speak."

What they are really saying is that the nations that have already ratified the Convention will have to protect it... as if it would make any difference on the Titanic. So, in the end, it seems that someone in Paris has decided to ride the Titanic horse of fame..

Last edited:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was a television program on the other night regarding the Titanic. Do you know that there are personal effects found from the wreck and they actually know who owned them? It should go to the relatives of the victims, not in someones collection. They should do the right thing and return these items back to the families. This goes to show that the recovery of artifacts is only for financial gain for those who are taking advantage of the disaster.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is intellectually unsound to make blanket comments. I thought you were above that by now. It is especially comical in the historical light that the evil treasure hunters began doing marine archaeology long before most archaeologists thought it even possible. How quickly you forget the history you so love.

OP
OP
P

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
"All generalizations are false. Including thus one" said Mark Twain. I agree with you Darren, generalizations are not conductive of a clear and objective mind. Here is another quote from good old Mark:
"It ain't what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Last edited:

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give me an example besides Robert Sténuit...

Here is one, the author of chapter 10 in: UNESCO's Book "Underwater Archaeology a nascent discipline" 1972,

Other chapter authors: Bass, Dumas, Crumlin-Pendersen, Frost, Franzen, Throckmorton, Peterson etc, etc,

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Alexandre, if I thought you really wanted to have an intelligent conversation with a sense of learning, I might try. You have an agenda. I don't. I simply come here to learn. You actually give great info. I appreciate the information you bring to the table. We both love history and preservation, so we stand on common ground. At least, I think so. Your rhetorical answer clearly shows your mind is made up, and I don't venture into trollish arguments.

In the event that I am wrong, consider this. All new technologies begin with trial and error. What has been done in underwater recording and preservation after WW2 and up through the 80s might be laughable by today's standards. The Wright brothers didn't get it right at first, nor did many early underwater preservers. But over time, the underwater archaeology as a science grew on the foundation of what was originally just a "treasure hunt." But back in the day, no one cared. Even land archies laughed about taking underwater archaeology seriously. Everyone was laughing until treasure hit the news. Once attention was drawn to its success, the history began to unfold behind the treasure. And once the history was told, a viable science was born. Many who laughed at the beginning now began to get involved. In the 80s and 90s, a serious split began to take root - not in the treasure hunting community, but in the archaeological community. An agenda was formed. The have-nots began to accuse the haves of impure motives. The language began to change from treasure hunting to "looting." Those archies who worked with salvors continued their work and ignored the accusing crowd. Unfortunately, the accusers continued their agenda in influential places like universities and state/federal govt's. By the time the working underwater archies and other lovers of history saw what was happening, it was too late. The jealous have-nots began their own brand of preserving cultural heritage while convincing the influential of their superior ways. With influence on their side, the jealous now proclaim their victories on a global scale and now seemingly have gained much control. It's so sad, though. If they had simply worked together, everyone would have benefited and much history wouldn't have been lost in the power struggle. I fear we may already be too late. Now pirating will be at an all-time high and the very preservation claimed by the victorious will be lost forever.

I have neither the time nor inclination to name names or site references. I'm not that good. I have just been in this industry for so long, that is my truth on the matter. I suppose you have your truth as well. I just wish we would meet on common ground rather than uncommon.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why the surprise? That's what treasure hunting is all about.[/QUOT

Most mdist return lost rings to the owners. But when personal effects of some victim can be returned to family members, it is the right thing to do. That's what the person who died probably would have wanted, What I am saying is...all other artifacts can be done with as the finder pleases....I'm not against finding artifacts for fianancial gain from shipwrecks....That is up to the finder. However there is a fine line when it comes to personal effects that can be returned to families of the deceased...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread