Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
But on what museum? who is going to do the conservation? and who is going to exhibit them? These cannons are all over the place (see attached picture of my grandson sitting on a cannon outside a store in St. Augustine)...

DSC01586.JPG

I always get my kids involved in all the shipwreck activities because I want them to learn what they don't teach you in school...here is my oldest son Chagy Jr. diving with the ARRG team in the 1618 "San Martin"

297026_142763919147298_100002410721329_231693_8008151_n.jpg

My grandson who is only 8 years old probably knows more about history and shipwreck than the average 30 year old person...And he has learned over the years how hard it is for us to find, conserve and exhibit these artifacts for future generations to learn.....

DSC02466.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ou8acracker2

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good answer...

for the record, I love history, taken many classes about them. They hardly teach you anything about this type of stuff. Its mostly politics..who was doing what where and who screwed who. I wish some of you marine archs and salvors taught classes at universities. A large number of kids would take them I would bet. I know I would have

Good on ya for doing that chagy..bummer about the conservation. If I ever become a billionare, Ill gladly donate a museum to "worthless" artifacts haha
Your kids got futures, keep it up.

My grandfather who was a genius and was an engineer..always told me "school got in the way of his education" (he was a very wealthy man that DIDNT use his degree..he used what he liked to learn on his own.

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
The iron cannon take a long time to conserve if they can be conserved at all. It costs more to try and conserve than what they are worth but the best reaon we leave them alone is that they make the best land marks. Once you remove all the cannons, That wreck is gone forever...

We like to leave all the Iron Guns and Anchors in SITU because if nothing else they preserve the wreck for the future to see.

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What gun, what wreck?

Here's another laying out in the middle of nowhere, no ballast, no spikes, no pottery... nothing nearby. Un-charted, un-attributed, un-registered. Found by accident. Existing plot charts showed that the exact location was dug with no notation regarding this gun. Maybe the record was redacted, or maybe the salvor did not recognize it (?)

Attachments

• 11_XA.jpg
    11_XA.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 150

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The iron cannon take a long time to conserve if they can be conserved at all. It costs more to try and conserve than what they are worth but the best reaon we leave them alone is that they make the best land marks. Once you remove all the cannons, That wreck is gone forever...

We like to leave all the Iron Guns and Anchors in SITU because if nothing else they preserve the wreck for the future to see.

The wreckage of the HMS Tribune 1796 lies just outside Halifax Harbour, not much to see now, ballast stone, some clumps if you know what to look for and 1 lonely cannon. The only thing that is left, that lets you know you are on the site where over 200 men and women lost there lives on a cold November night, it would be a shame if it was removed.
The rest of the 36 cannons were tossed overboard to free the ship from the clutches of Thrumcap Shoal on the other side of the Harbour entrance. These cannons have yet to be found. We intend to find them this year.
The ship lost her rudder while attempting to get free, drifted across the mouth of the harbour and met with a granite cliff just as a storm was brewing.
If you would like to read the full story of the tragedy check out my buddies book, "AGE OF HEROES" John R. Dickie, Pottersfield Press. (The Zodiac Divers crew are all mentioned in the Acknowledgments).
ZDD

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love to read it, but I could only find a new copy at $52.00 and used copies at $22.00. Must be a very popular book in Canada!

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
A distant second cousin to my father was a police chief in Boca Raton, Florida. In the late 1950's or thereabouts they dove and found a wreck off Boca Inlet, recovering cannon and what they referred to as grenades. The wreck is supposedly of spanish origin. In the late 1960's while visiting them, I saw a small cannon, about 6-ft. length and a smaller caliber swivel signal or shot cannon. I held the latter. Both were in an excellent state of preservation, after being in electrolysis baths for at least one year each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread